Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Anybody know the TransGo 46PLT96 separator plate is identical to a stock / GM separator plate? Or is it altered in some way? Reason I ask is my kit came with TransGo parts for valve body. I may just put valve body together stock as I can adjust in HP Tuners w/o modifying the valve body.

TransGo 46PLT96 Specs:
https://res.cloudinary.com/transgo/w.../46-PLT-96.pdf
https://transgo.com/product-details/46-plt-96/
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 537 Likes on 417 Posts

The TransGo separator plate comes with smaller feed holes that will need to be drilled to fit your application. It will come with an instruction sheet for which holes to drill and what size to drill them. It's not hard just a little tedious. If the check ball holes in your stock plate are not beat out, there is no reason why you couldn't reuse it and drill it to the TransGo instructions from you shift kit. If you do go with the TransGo plate drill all feed holes according to the instructions that came with it and then drill to the instructions from you shift kit. I can't remember but didn't your kit come from Dana if so, stay the course and follow his instructions.

The TransGo kit is better than just jacking up the pressures with HP Tuners. You have come this far why take the easy way out now? The valve body is what will define how well your transmission will work.
The following users liked this post:
weinerschizel (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts

There are a bunch of threads about 4L60E shift hole size and other mods. 2BFAST's 4L60E build thread comes to mind. I agree with bbond, tuning only won't cut it here. if you order a separator plate from Dana he will drill it for you with one of his "recipes". He may even give you suggestions over the phone for free especially if you are a previous customer.
The following 2 users liked this post by tayto:
bbond105 (01-27-2022), weinerschizel (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay interesting. I'll look at the 2BFAST thread. I have two TransGo valve body valves in the kit. One says ISO-CONV which replaces the TCC signal valve (name in ATSG guide). I assume that's to delete the TCC partial apply / PWM function?

Last edited by weinerschizel; 01-27-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, the TransGo ISO-CONV valve will delete the TCC partial apply / PWM function. The other valve is a 1-2 shift vale.

Last edited by bbond105; 01-28-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why wouldn't a person just disable PWM / Partial apply in the HP Tuners / the tune? What advantage is there to deleting the physical hardware in the valve body (assuming valves seal up properly?)

I'm still sitting here looking thinking this over... I looked at 2BFASTS post on 4L60E build. Who here has built more than one transmission?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

most shops don't have hptuners, or ANY tuning gear for that matter. installing the valve is easy and disables the troublesome PWM TCC. I would personally block the valve AND tune it out given the opportunity.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,261 Likes on 807 Posts

Who here has built more than one transmission?
Uh...really?

even if you have hptuners...physically altering the valve body to have on/off lockup is superior to just tuning it for 100% pwm lockup
pwm lockup relys on a feedback bias on the valve and will never achieve the same feed of line pressure into the converter as you achieve with the flipped valve.

I've had this discussion with many other shop owners and operators. They have a vehicle giving them issue, converter codes, slips, etc.
They tell me "well it can't be that...I've tuned it for 100% pwm, can't be the issue"

I bet them $1...tell them to flip the valve or install a *fitzall* type valve...they do...it's fixed.

As for the rest of the valve body and pump...there are things that cannot be fixed in the tune on a 60e. Shift timing in the 60e is only altered by the pressure control solenoid. That's it.
ECM will increase or decrease pressure to alter shift feel

but...if you have a shift timing issue such as band release and 3/4 clutch tie up, or flare, etc that won't be fixed with a tune. You need to alter orifice sizing and springs etc in the valve body to properly remedy or alter the shift feel.

The pressure the pump can achieve has a physical max limit no matter what the tune does. You must change physical parts to be able to achieve more pressure.

So on and so fourth.
If this could all be magically done in the computer...we wouldn't be discussing the intricacies of valve body modification on this forum
The following 2 users liked this post by MaroonMonsterLS1:
bbond105 (01-28-2022), vorteciroc (03-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is a simple question - I don't mean to offend anybody. Who has actually built a transmission, not just a one off transmission, and is contributing to this thread. Additionally, who also has experience tuning transmissions. I presume most of you have experience but I just don't know. I cannot say how many dead ends I've chased, dollars, and time I've spent to find out person I got advice from had no experience. @MaroonMonsterLS1 I presume you're a builder / shop. I think we spoke on PM and you sound like you really know yours stuff.

I hired a shop to help me with some odds and ends. They have experience in both tuning and building 4L60e for high power applications. They are strongly advising against TransGo parts / valve body modification. I can definitely see he's talking about at the shop.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

The shop has probably figured out a lot of the Transgo stuff isn't required. This not only saves the customer money, but saves the shop money. they can now sell the customer their shift kit. There's some really good info in these threads, probably even enough for your own recipe...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...cer-plate.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l#post20367385

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...2-3-shift.html
weinerschizel (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks @tayto I will take a look at those threads
Old 01-28-2022, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by weinerschizel
I need a parts diagram for a 2003 or 2004 valve body. I noticed my ATSG guide is an older design. Anybody have one?
This is the best one I found but not positive of years... there's some overlap, like 97-03 and 04-up, but try this one, it's the most detailed... it even includes spring dimensions and rates!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...8a5521304b.jpg
weinerschizel (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome thanks! I started fiddling with my extra valve body... Measured the TCC signal valve. It's 11.2mm on both if memory serves me right. It won't wiggle a smidgen in my spare valve body... but rocks side to side easily in the one from my donor transmission.

I'm going to use the other valve body. Not even the TransGo ISO-CONV valve fit right in the donor transmission valve body. It wiggled too.

The spare valve body is from a 2007 transmission (according to casting mark on top) the other is from a 2003. Worm tracks look the same so assume it's fine.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

It is a simple question - I don't mean to offend anybody. Who has actually built a transmission, not just a one off transmission, and is contributing to this thread. Additionally, who also has experience tuning transmissions. I presume most of you have experience but I just don't know. I cannot say how many dead ends I've chased, dollars, and time I've spent to find out person I got advice from had no experience. @MaroonMonsterLS1 I presume you're a builder / shop. I think we spoke on PM and you sound like you really know yours stuff.

I hired a shop to help me with some odds and ends. They have experience in both tuning and building 4L60e for high power applications. They are strongly advising against TransGo parts / valve body modification. I can definitely see he's talking about at the shop.
I have been building these things for well over 30 years. So, I think I have built more than one.
weinerschizel (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, that is good to know. Thanks for your help.

I told the shop helping me to just put it together w/ TransGo stuff.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

didn't you buy one of dana's modofied transgo kits?
weinerschizel (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,261 Likes on 807 Posts

If you have a shop advising AGAINST valve body modification...pick up your **** and go find a new shop
It's your trans. Do whatever you want. But it has been explained to you that a tune CANNOT change certain things. It just isn't physically possible. But hey...if you wanna spend your money and chase that dead end with them...be my guest
weinerschizel (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I got Dana's custom kit w/ various TransGo parts.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah I got Dana's custom kit w/ various TransGo parts.
Unless you specified otherwise, which im going to bet you didnt, Danas kits come ALL pre set, drilled, checked, and fitted. And his instructions are very clear.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate conversation and pointers. I got everything taken care of at this point. And yes, Dana provided instructions as well as pre-drilled separator plate, etc.

Only thing pending is pin-less Sonnax accumulators which I asked Dana about. I'd prefer pin-less and kit came with pinned. Description says it comes with one pin-less and two pinned. He'll get me taken care of.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Build