Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Franks custom trans 4l60e build sheets and prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 09:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Stage 3 servo assembly

New 3-4 clutch set up for stage 3, uses thick stock steels in all but center steel which is .076 , Reasoning The thicker steels mean more heat dissipation but more. The thicker steels also help to support the stack when applied structurally and should and from my albeit primitive measuring methods this reduces flex of the apply and backing plates, The center thinner steel is there along with the custom lathe cut top plate and flat cut Apply plate to allow 8 frictions.

Band cooling mod photo in action. Tiny hole Wire gauge size 58 but very close to 1/16 th which should work fine, it sprays fwd clutch oil in a mist like spray in the gap of the band, This aids in keep the band and drum cool during apply and in low presure conditions such as driving in 4th while pulling or towing when band may slip some in 4th gear

Transgo boost valve oringed. Note I do oring the first lan, For sealing yes but also found it helps keep the sleeve aligned in bore so not cocking on install Actually goes in easier. (Note this one is for picture reasons only , It is one I keep, The lathe moved on me and the grooves are actually cut to deep if anyone notices, I am aware )

Superior center pancake machined to allow proper use of the sonnax 4th servo with it. If you so not do this you will need a very very tight band clearance to avoid 4th servo hitting the center and preventing full apply and band slipping burn up.

Stage 3 servo stack up Both 4th and second servo set up so they contact pin equally when servo stacked.

Last edited by FranksCustomTrans; 06-12-2024 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 582 Likes on 452 Posts

Frank, where exactly do you drill the hole to spray on the drum? I’ve got a unit on my bench right now I want to try it on. I always see signs of heat on the drum, damn good idea.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Frank, where exactly do you drill the hole to spray on the drum? I’ve got a unit on my bench right now I want to try it on. I always see signs of heat on the drum, damn good idea.
If you look at the tips and tricks thread 4l60e scroll you will see a photo of where and how and size ect
Note you will want to enlarge fwd feed hole in plate accordingly at least I do Not sure if required or not but I figure taking more give more lol

The following 2 users liked this post by FranksCustomTrans:
bbond105 (06-12-2024), Kfxguy (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Found it like i said slow and easy 1/16th or smaller is preferred https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...61a07a3.jpg]75

Kfxguy (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 582 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
Found it like i said slow and easy 1/16th or smaller is preferred https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...61a07a3.jpg]75
I've been looking and looking.... couldn't find it... was about to post that and you found it for me. Thanks!

edit: link no work
Old 06-12-2024, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I've been looking and looking.... couldn't find it... was about to post that and you found it for me. Thanks!

edit: link no work
Ok try this https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l#post20534204

Old 06-12-2024, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,251 Likes on 875 Posts

Shown in Image below:

FranksCustomTrans (06-12-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler!

Are the prices still the same?
Old 06-20-2024, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ampherney
Spoiler!

Are the prices still the same?
Yes they are ,

Old 07-10-2024, 06:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Present build list for stage 3 4l60e
1-REBUILD PUMP WITH ORINGED TRANSGO BOOST VALVE OR OEM ORINGED VALVE BOTH .500.
2-NEW OR REMAN REV INPUT DRUM ACCORDING TO AVAILABILITY
3-WIDE BAND RAYBESTOS PRO SERIES
4-CUSTOM 8 FRICTION 3-4 SET WITH CUSTOM APPLY AND BACKING MACHINED FLAT .100 STEELS X2 AT ENDS OF PACK .076 IN MIDDLE TO HELP AVOID FLEX AND ALTO CARBON GREEN FRICTIONS. RETAINS LOAD RELEIF SET WITH LONGER SPRINGS
5-SONNAX SMART SHELL.
6-RE- ENFORCEMENT COLLAR INOUT DRUM
7-29 ELEMENT DUAL CAGE SPRAG
8-NEW BUSHINGS WITH ADDED BUSHIING IN EACH SUN GEAR
9-PINLESS AND ALUMINUM ACCUMULATORS , 4TH ACCUM ELIMINATED
10-MACHINED ORRINGED BORE PLUG 3-2 VALVE CUSTOM MADE (May also be in rev abuse if needed)
11-ORRINGED END PLUGS FOR CONVERTER REGULATOR AND 3-4 SIGNAL VALVE (CUSTOM MADE)
8-ALL NEW FRICTIONS AND STEELS
9-NEW LOW ROLLER
10-SUPERIOR MAX HOLD SECOND SERVO MACHINED TO WOULD WITH THE SONNAX DUAL OVERDRIVE SERVO
11-DUAL OVERDRIVE SERVO
12-CUSTOM MACHINED SPRINGS 2-3 VALVE FOR QUICKER COMMAND 2-3 SHIFT
13-OEM 5 PINION PLANETS
14-MODIFIED CONVERTER REGULAR AKA PWM VALVE IMPROVES FUNCTION BUT DOES NOT ELIMINATE PWM
15-FULL TIME OVERUN MOD (KEEPS OVERUN CLUTCH ON IN ALL BUT 4TH GEAR TO HELP SUPPORT AND ELIMNATE SPRAG ROLL OVER)
16-OPTIONAL LOW CLUTCH MOD TO ALLOW APPLICATION OF LOW/REV FRICTIONS IN FIRST GEAR ANY POSITION (THIS IS SOMETHING I DECIDE BASED ON POWER WEIGHT AND APPLICATION.
17-AFL VALVE REAMED AND REPLACED AS NEEDED, OTHERWISE THE BORE PLUG BETWEEN IT AND THE PCS IS ORINGED TO PREVENT LEAKS
18-NEW BONDED VALVEBODY PLATE .083 APPLY 2ND .093 APPLY 3RD
19-NEW WIRING HARNESS WITH NEW TCC SOLENOID
20 -NEW SHIFT SOLENOIDS
21-CUSTOM ORINGED BAND PIN SET UP SO BOTH SERVOS ARE IN CONTACT WITH THE PIN WHEN CLEARANCE SET UP
22-NEW DEEP POWERDERCOATED BLACK PAN (TRUCK STYLE BUT HAS RAISED AREA AT REAR TO CLEAR CROSSMEMBERS ON CARS) HAS FULLY FUNCTIONAL DRAIN PLUG.

I call my self CUSTOM because this is not stone, Sometimes knowing the application, use and weight I may change some parts of the build to be more suitable, But never less than listed on major parts changes are generally having to do with shift quality. I may use something of equal value that is more suited to the application as each trans is built for YOU.

When possible I use the latest cases possible. On LS units this may mean from time to time they may have a larger thread for the cooler lines, If you run into this holler i will send you amazon link to get correct size.

NOTE many thigs here are also on the lower units the major changes are BEAST INSTEAD OF SMART SHELL. VET SERVO INSTEAD OF SUPERIOR, 4 PINION PLANETS, STOCK 4TH SERVO STAGE 1 , STOCK WIDTH BAND STAGE 1, All the other mods are shared with the lower units.

Many of the unique things like the oringed bore plugs and machining the 3-4 plates and more I do in house which take considerable time ,So I ask only for your patience when ordering and you will get the best built unit IMO possible .

Unless added extra LS based do not some with bell or tail housings. However included are a new tail housing bushing , seal and oring

Also free on request T50P BIT. I was just including them but many stated they already had one.

vorteciroc (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

My Father says it sounds like you are constantly adding to/ improving your builds at every opportunity.
Rather impressive!

-Marcello III
Old 07-10-2024, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

10-MACHINED ORRINGED BORE PLUG 3-2 VALVE CUSTOM MADE (May also be in rev abuse if needed)
11-ORRINGED END PLUGS FOR CONVERTER REGULATOR AND 3-4 SIGNAL VALVE (CUSTOM MADE)
Dad says that you guys were just discussing these, and you already got some Round Stock and cut these on the Lathe. Awesome!

4-CUSTOM 8 FRICTION 3-4 SET WITH CUSTOM APPLY AND BACKING MACHINED FLAT .100 STEELS X2 AT ENDS OF PACK .076 IN MIDDLE TO HELP AVOID FLEX AND ALTO CARBON GREEN FRICTIONS. RETAINS LOAD RELEIF SET WITH LONGER SPRINGS
G3 frictions?
He says he has never had success with Alto Frictions, but you must be if you are using them here.

-Marcello III
Old 07-10-2024, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Dad says that you guys were just discussing these, and you already got some Round Stock and cut these on the Lathe. Awesome!

G3 frictions?
He says he has never had success with Alto Frictions, but you must be if you are using them here.

-Marcello III
These are the ALTO carbon type I have actually used them for years no issues,
Yes the bore plugs, Here is what happened I bought new ones installed then tested and well they still leaked a good bit, So since useless anyway I took and old ne grooved it and installed , No leak at all, So then I want a bit tighter fit and less motion so i made one out of steel. I have since gotten some aluminum stock I am making them out for my builds, bit snugger fit and smaller roll pin hole .

On the very thick steels at top and bottom of pack I was playing with the dial indicator to see how much flex I had after a rehardening process I was working on after cutting the apply/backing plates flat (btw new plates are not flat either)
The Process worked as I had far less flex but I was then curious so I restacked the set with the very thick steels at the top and bottom of the set and thinner in center and found the flex was further reduced was not huge just a few 1000s but notable, My guess is the thicker plates here add to the structural rigidity of the whole pack. reducing flex.
And yes always looking for better ways to do it ..

Last edited by FranksCustomTrans; 07-10-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New 3-4 clutch set up for stage 3, uses thick stock steels in all but center steel which is .076 , Reasoning The thicker steels mean more heat dissipation but more. The thicker steels also help to support the stack when applied structurally and should and from my albeit primitive measuring methods this reduces flex of the apply and backing plates, The center thinner steel is there along with the custom lathe cut top plate and flat cut Apply plate to allow 8 frictions.

Band cooling mod photo in action. Tiny hole Wire gauge size 58 but very close to 1/16 th which should work fine, it sprays fwd clutch oil in a mist like spray in the gap of the band, This aids in keep the band and drum cool during apply and in low presure conditions such as driving in 4th while pulling or towing when band may slip some in 4th gear

Transgo boost valve oringed. Note I do oring the first lan, For sealing yes but also found it helps keep the sleeve aligned in bore so not cocking on install Actually goes in easier. (Note this one is for picture reasons only , It is one I keep, The lathe moved on me and the grooves are actually cut to deep if anyone notices, I am aware )

Superior center pancake machined to allow proper use of the sonnax 4th servo with it. If you so not do this you will need a very very tight band clearance to avoid 4th servo hitting the center and preventing full apply and band slipping burn up.

Stage 3 servo stack up Both 4th and second servo set up so they contact pin equally when servo stacked.
you should sell the 3-4 clutch pack for the at home builder guys
Old 07-18-2024, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by antoine
you should sell the 3-4 clutch pack for the at home builder guys
I have considered selling a number of components but with the time it takes to make them and shipping and what people seem to be willing to pay , I have not found a way to make it profitable enough to justify the time it takes away from building my own units.

bbond105 (07-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Franks custom trans 4l60e build sheets and prices