Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-2 shift question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1-2 shift question

My 1-2 shift feels harder when I lock the 2nd gear than when I set 4th (or overdrive for the Camaro's).
Shift speed is also different: it shifts at higher speed when I lock the 2nd.
Just a feeling or is it normal?

Thanks - Stefano
Old 08-21-2005, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the shifting is supposed to be different if you have the car in the fourth selection option, rather than the third.

(D in a Camaro, or OD in a TransAm, BTW Camaros go 1,2,3,D TA's are 1,2,D,OD)
Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this difference something we can adjust? Like Normal Mode vs. Perf Mode?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

In my HPTuners under Edit, Transmission. On the A4 Shift Speed Tab there are four options "Normal, Performance, Cruise, and Hot" for Shift Speed vs. %TPS vs. Shift. For WOT Shift Speed vs. Shift and WOT Shift RPM vs. Shift there are "Normal, Performance, and Hot" So the nutshell answer is "yes I believe youc an modify those options if you have the right software." There are also settings you can tweak for the shifting based on Pressure, Time, Torque, Temp and Gear.

There are also settings for "Normal" and "Performance Mode" in the Torque Management section of HPTuners.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i've definitely noticed my shifts are harder in D than they are in OD. Guess how long i had the car before i noticed that.

Hey Ouija, what's the difference between "performance mode" and "hot" ?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes a different table is referenced when you have it pulled down into 2. Mine takes longer to shift and maxes out line pressure, it'll part throttle scratch sometimes.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ouija
In my HPTuners under Edit, Transmission. On the A4 Shift Speed Tab there are four options "Normal, Performance, Cruise, and Hot" for Shift Speed vs. %TPS vs. Shift. For WOT Shift Speed vs. Shift and WOT Shift RPM vs. Shift there are "Normal, Performance, and Hot" So the nutshell answer is "yes I believe youc an modify those options if you have the right software." There are also settings you can tweak for the shifting based on Pressure, Time, Torque, Temp and Gear.

There are also settings for "Normal" and "Performance Mode" in the Torque Management section of HPTuners.
I use LS1 Edit and also see those tables.
But I don't see settings for line pressure or shift speed related on the gear you have selected.

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
yes a different table is referenced when you have it pulled down into 2. Mine takes longer to shift and maxes out line pressure, it'll part throttle scratch sometimes.
Can you see those tables in HPTuners?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some GM v6's have a table called Urban which is only used under those conditions. I assume we have something similar.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Some GM v6's have a table called Urban which is only used under those conditions. I assume we have something similar.
Can you see it in HPTuners for the V8?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouija

The only thing is the performance mode table is only used in vehicles with a performance or towing button inside. The hot table is for when the transmission is overheating or running hotter than the setting in the transmission diagnostics section. The cruise table only works when the cruise control is on.
So really your only shift table is normal.

Quick Reply: 1-2 shift question