Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to say after reading through he entire thread, it's made me feel almost as insecure as all the other Automatic transmission owners here....LOL

Talk about feeling insecure, seems we have to try and pump themselves up.

Easy to see why too, seems our Automatic are one dimensional straight line 1/8 & 1/4 vehicles and winning against a manual trans car is dependent on the driver of that car being a slow shifter or better yet missing a shift....

I'm in process of two LS automatics builds, and both are Second generations of America's only Sport car. That's not an Automatic friendly group..

One of the build I didn't even bother to post build about here. See rather than run from the manual transmission competition, I'm going to try and compete in the real world with them, where HP/TQ power band, handling and breaking along with driver's skill other than putting transmission in DRIVE and stomping on the gas peddle is required.

I'm going to try and compete with the Pro Touring manual transmission cars in auto crossing and close circuit road course events as well as drag strip, so I posted it's build on Pro Touring Forum.

Now I have to be able to downshift and up-shift more than just once too. No eating, drinking, talking on phone or girlfriend now....LOL

This is where you learn that those wide gear splits where you think being able to stay in 2 gear to 132 MPH, you can accelerate faster to that 132 MPH than a car that has the mechanical advantage of 2 more gears to help their engine accelerate to that same speed.

You ever wonder what happen when your trying to power out of a slow curve with a Torque converter that flashes to 3200-4400 rpm when you stomp the throttle? Or how your brakes will hold up with no engine breaking to help haul the car's speed down? How about how your suspension is going to react to taking corners are just breaking to get into a corner?

One of the fastest growing motor sports is Auto Crossing, and If your "Young and Dumb" or like me, just "Old and Stupid" to try and be competitive, bring your automatic into the 3 dimensional world of a Pro Touring Class Car where your driving skills are more important than being able to find "D", stage and leave on the green light.

Believe me, I'm trying hard to make one of my automatic car competitive.

Brakes holding up and right Torque converter choice are my biggest concerns with car. Ever ask TQ Converter vendor to spec a converter where you will be down shifting as much as up-shifting and powering out of curves?

Will be running 3.55 rear end, so my 4th gear drive ratio with 28.3 dia rear tire will be 4.18, with a top speed at 6500 RPM of 134 MPH.

Rear wheel track has been increased to 4.0 inches wider than stock and and front is 1.5 inches wider in effort to improve handling. Front's track is still wider by 1.0 inch than rear and I can run up to a 12.6" crossection rear tire and 10.43" and maybe 11.03" crossection's on fronts.

Hope to see some of you with automatic in the 3 dimensional world of Pro Touring. Beat a manual there and watch them

Last edited by poorhousenext; 08-20-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: 4th is 4.18 drive ratio not 5th
Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by peteTA
what the hell has to be done to shut ppl like this up. especially the guys with the 6 speeds, it pisses me off like crazy. ......2001 ws6 a4
line up them up in the 1/4, then if you win because he sucks at shifting or the cars clutch pedal goes to the floor and they cant shift at all then tell them at the end, hey man good race too bad your a 6 speed though
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattysTA
then tell them at the end, hey man good race too bad your a 6 speed though

HAHAHAHA.. good one! i hope i end up running into a manual a a stop sign one day..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I have a 99 Z28 A4 with longtubes, ls6 intake, 4" single all the way back, and a lid, no stall yet, but I have an issue getting traction from a stop, and when it shifts around 30-40 it will spin more.... will a stall help me gain some traction or not? I am running pretty sticky 275s all the way around??? I want a stall and cam, but all the power will not matter if I cant get it to hook.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecked vette
I have a 99 Z28 A4 with longtubes, ls6 intake, 4" single all the way back, and a lid, no stall yet, but I have an issue getting traction from a stop, and when it shifts around 30-40 it will spin more.... will a stall help me gain some traction or not? I am running pretty sticky 275s all the way around??? I want a stall and cam, but all the power will not matter if I cant get it to hook.
Stall will make it harder to hook, and depending on the stall rating and STR it may make it downright brutal. Shift extension(not dropping RPMS between gears) make it even more fun.

What brand are your tires? 275 drag radials shouldn't spin second on a basically stock car.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

they arent drag radials, there some directional tire with a traction rating of AA and a tread wear of 295... just got the car, lol. first ls1 f body, have had a few lt1s. i have a hand held crane programmer and the dude had adjusted the fuel and timing and the shift firmness. It has a weld in subframe connector and some other hotchkis suspension do dads. sitting on stock coils though. how do drag radials hold up for daily driving and in the corners?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by peteTA
what the hell has to be done to shut ppl like this up. especially the guys with the 6 speeds, it pisses me off like crazy. ......2001 ws6 a4
stall and gear then run them.. will shut them up!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it does get kind of annoying, "Damn this car is fast!!! Imagine how much faster it would be if it was stick!!!"
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

theres a reason I'm buying a TCI 6x here in the next month or so....
cause 6 gears of fully automatic 2 tenths of a second WOT shift = way faster than t56...
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know if this subject has been touched but my friend at work gave me the same **** about not getting a manual. We walked out to my car to show him I had basically no room for a clutch. With my size 15 work boots I maybe had 2-3 inches of room in between my foot and the brake. The only time I would feel comfortable driving stick would be if I took my shoes off every time I left work. I love my A4 and haven't had one regret, except for maybe the gas mileage
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
ezz

hahahaha it was honestly hilarious reading the comments.... i actually read them all automatics rule!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM

check the drag strips almost all cars [or at least the winners] run auto's. I can light my tires up with every shift just like a gear tranny, and I NEVER miss a shift or worry about blowing the motor.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by virgil
check the drag strips almost all cars [or at least the winners] run auto's. I can light my tires up with every shift just like a gear tranny, and I NEVER miss a shift or worry about blowing the motor.
my 6 second 200mph Pro Stock car was a Clutchless Manual....
worked the same as a manually shifted valve body Auto...
when you get to the 4000 HP area you need something a little tougher..LOL
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Show them my car...

it should shut them up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIa3L5mxLko
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramaircjm
What that video proves is all you auto experts were wrong about a 6L80E trans 1st to 2nd gear split making it a dog on strip....LOL

Seems that 4.03 first gear with 3.42 ratio rear gearing isn't that bad after all....LOL

I believe that 6L80E when South on him recently.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
What that video proves is all you auto experts were wrong about a 6L80E trans 1st to 2nd gear split making it a dog on strip....LOL

Seems that 4.03 first gear with 3.42 ratio rear gearing isn't that bad after all....LOL

I believe that 6L80E when South on him recently.
That's actually my car and yes, the transmission did go south on me last weekend. The one shown in the video died back in May and since then I've blown up 3 more and am currently waiting on another built unit so I can run the car in Pinks in September.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

get a th350 with a manaul valve body and shift it next to them, they will be like what the hell just happened i thought he was an auto. Had some fun with my friend from a dead stop one night and when we got to the next light he said damn everytime i shifted i would pull half a car before he grabbed the next gear. i just smiled
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

autos the way to go! and thats coming from a built t56 owner lol
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

How much fun is your m6 when your sitting in traffic for hours?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
How much fun is your m6 when your sitting in traffic for hours?
i dont daily drive my car so i never really sit in traffic, only been stuck in traffic with it once and it sucked lol , especially since i have a twin disc and a locker in the rear

Quick Reply: "That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."