Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010 | 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1mean96ss
get a th350 with a manaul valve body and shift it next to them, they will be like what the hell just happened i thought he was an auto. Had some fun with my friend from a dead stop one night and when we got to the next light he said damn everytime i shifted i would pull half a car before he grabbed the next gear. i just smiled
I have twice as many gears as you, so my car is twice as much fun.

Old 09-01-2010 | 09:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
I have twice as many gears as you, so my car is twice as much fun.

like I said earlier...
TCI 6x... solves that more gears problem and shifts faster than any regular clutch.
Old 09-01-2010 | 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
like I said earlier...
TCI 6x... solves that more gears problem and shifts faster than any regular clutch.
It was a joke, hence the . Some of you guys are too quick to get defensive. I know who the guy is btw.
Old 09-01-2010 | 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

I wish a manual guy would talk crap to me about my car because it's an auto. Ha! lets line them up now and find out the truth
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love it when people tell me that it takes no skill to drive an auto and a monkey could do it.. yet to drive a manual down the dragstrip in a straight line takes a semi professional racecar driver (like ricky bobby's daddy). I just laugh and tell em a monkey can push a pedal and pull a lever too.. the real skill in driving a manual is heal toe rev matching and downshifting and upshifting through corners, not in a straight line. if you want to prove you can drive a manual go find a road course and see how good you are. Its not that hard to shift a manual in a straight line fast and slip or dump a clutch off the line.
Old 09-13-2010 | 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

This is funny cause after reading this whole thread I thought to myself huh,no one has ever said to me "ohhh nice car...oh wait to bad its an auto" untill today. I was at the gas station getting air in my hoosier drs. One guy came up to me out of nowhere and said het nice car man and talked a while. Then another guy came over and said "wooooow nice car dude" then said "ohhhh but its and auto" after he looked in the car. I asked him what kind of racing he likes to do..he said "drag" so I told him auto is the way to go for drag and the other guy agreed but I did also say a stick car is better for road racing which I belive it is in most cases.

Then a half hour later I caught a mustang (manual) at a stop light and TOTALY roasted him. Maybe ill post that in the street racing kill forum hmmm
Old 05-11-2011 | 10:06 AM
On The Tree

i've owned both auto and manual LS1's so i'm unbiased. i used to love when people said "too bad it's an auto" and then i'd lay the smackdown on them whether on the street or at the strip . anyone that thinks autos are slow is uneducated when it comes to cars, and has obviously never driven in a high-stalled one.

that being said, i love my M6 now and it's fun as hell to drive. i say to each his own. at the end of the day 1/4 time means a lot more than what transmission you're running with
Old 05-11-2011 | 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, a good old manual vs. auto debate. This especially tickled me the other night.....some grudge races, auto vs. manual:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
Old 05-11-2011 | 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear this all the time including my good friend who just keeps saying it over and over in an attempt to **** with me. I like when the clowns assume the car is slow because it's an auto. Goes something like "ooo nice car is it fast....nevermind it's an auto." Then they go on and on about why an automatic is so much slower

This is actually my first non-beater auto and I really don't care if it's an auto or a manual. Maybe it's my driving style(for lack of a better word super conservative) but I haven't found any of my manual cars to be "funner" than the auto like some people "claim." It's just so much easier to stage up and hit the gas and hold on
Old 05-11-2011 | 01:22 PM
Teching In

this thread cracks me up . . . I'm an active duty marine and i actually got in an argument with my OIC who drive a manual mustang about this after he asked why i would waste my time on an automatic chevy, at first i thought he was just picking on me cuz i was a chevy guy then he dropped the chevy and went just for the auto (keep in mind my camaro has a 4800 rpm circle d convertor and puts 425 to the tire) so after him telling me that it takes "skill and a man" to drive a stick i informed him that my wifes solstice has a 5 speed just like his big bad mustang. then i stopped cuz i remembered i was talking to an officer, i wanted so bad to ask him to put him money where is mouth is
Old 05-11-2011 | 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

I've had both a a4 with a vig 3600 and m6 in my car. I never had suspension or drag radials when my car was a4 with the converter so it sucked at track, it did run hard from stop though. Now its m6 with a cam and 4.10s with some suspension mods and drag radials, but I havent made it to the track yet. I do plan on going back to an a4 though. I'll keep the t56 and use it in my 67 camaro project so I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-11-2011 | 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Had the t56 for many years in my old LT1, and recently changed it to a TH400 with a nice converter. Drag racing a stick car takes a ton of patience, practice and a bank account to pay for all the parts they break. The high MPH an relatively slower ET was frustrating & inconsistent enough to make me switch.

Glad I did, and I'll never look back. My other two cars are still stick, and they are fun as hell to drive on the street, but for consistent straight-line performance, you cannot beat a nicely stalled auto.
Old 05-12-2011 | 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that autos are slow, it's just that they're very uneventful to drive.

At least once a week I find myself wishing my car was a M6.

Yeah, the auto is great for just cruising around, and I agree it's better for a strip car, but my car sees the track about once a year, and I could really use the extra highway mpg of the M6.

And the A4 just FEELS so slow unless you're really getting on it. Every once ina while I'll really dip into the throttle, and I'm surprised...it's like " oh yeah, I forgot this car was this fast".

I know, I know....I need a stall.

I gotta drive one.....once again, they look like fun when you're getting on it, but from videos I've seen they look really annoying to drive around at part throttle before lockup.
Old 05-13-2011 | 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
It's not that autos are slow, it's just that they're very uneventful to drive.

At least once a week I find myself wishing my car was a M6.

Yeah, the auto is great for just cruising around, and I agree it's better for a strip car, but my car sees the track about once a year, and I could really use the extra highway mpg of the M6.

And the A4 just FEELS so slow unless you're really getting on it. Every once ina while I'll really dip into the throttle, and I'm surprised...it's like " oh yeah, I forgot this car was this fast".

I know, I know....I need a stall.

I gotta drive one.....once again, they look like fun when you're getting on it, but from videos I've seen they look really annoying to drive around at part throttle before lockup
Looks are deceiving. Trust me, a ss3600 is so easy its stupid. Its well worth it

I wish I had a manual when im on the highway and for extra mpg but for everything else im glad I have an a4.
Old 05-13-2011 | 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
I wish a manual guy would talk crap to me about my car because it's an auto. Ha! lets line them up now and find out the truth
Problem with automatics is they are one dimensionall cars when it comes to be a competitor. Those high stall converters and don't have to think shifting are great for going 1/8 to 1/4 mile straight line races, but that's not real world driving.

I'd love to have you come over to auto cross or a road course and kick my butt with that high flash stall....

Might even like to see you do it on the strip to, if both cars are equal in HP at the crank, rear gear ratio and weight. Then it's if I can shift fast enough to stay with you, in my non set up for drag racing only manual car.
Old 05-13-2011 | 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

All things being equal, I'd like to see you try and take stalled auto off the line. You're only hope would be he blows the tires off tires off.

Off the line, if you flash an LS1 car to about 4k and hook it feels like you got hit in the back with a shovel. If you've owned and drag raced both, you'd know there is no comparison as far as consistance and potential.
Old 05-13-2011 | 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
I'd love to have you come over to auto cross or a road course and kick my butt with that high flash stall....

Might even like to see you do it on the strip to, if both cars are equal in HP at the crank, rear gear ratio and weight. Then it's if I can shift fast enough to stay with you, in my non set up for drag racing only manual car.
Racing a car set up for drag racing against one better suited to road courses...ah, okay All things being equal, it is kind of obvious who is quicker around the course, and who is quicker at the strip.
Old 05-13-2011 | 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Racing a car set up for drag racing against one better suited to road courses...ah, okay All things being equal, it is kind of obvious who is quicker around the course, and who is quicker at the strip.
What I'm saying is we both have daily drivers, not dedicated only setup cars.

Street tire only, can you beat the manual car. Reason I'm bring this up, is quite a few of the get togethers are starting to go with you have to compete in all classes available at get together.

Some are going with a you have to run at least a 180 Tread wear tire in all events. Course all 180 tread wire tires are not created equal traction wise so you have a little help there.

Some get togethers even make you do 3 laps around autocross course, just to be able to park with the cool cars, and another one requires you to drive a 100 miles course so they know it's streetable.

Since I've never owned a Cool car, no one has ever put a car I've owned down for it being an automatic...an being the type guy I am, it wouldn't offend me if they did. It is what it is and theirs is what it is, just a car, no matter what it cost.

That said, that maybe be changing soon, car may be cool, an it does have an automatic, and someone may put it down for that, so I guess I could ask him/her to park their cooler car next to mine so theirs would look even better. Heck someone might walk up and like mine better an hurt their feelings....

Maybe I'll see you at LS Fest this year...

I'll have the slow cool car, that I hope everyone will want to check out even if it justs sit still. Cool an't cool at LS Fest if it an't fast too, so might just let it sit still, so no one hurts my feeling.....

PS: When you look in the engine compartment you will find only thing chromed, the hood support, so at least it looks like a real car there, not a cool chromed out one....
Old 05-13-2011 | 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my car as a 6 speed I'm setting my car up for drag so I sold it to get a th400 only way to get good times at the track is to go auto
Old 05-13-2011 | 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans am 98
only way to get good times at the track is to go auto.
that's funny...tell me another one.

Quick Reply: "That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."