Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp gauge Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans Temp gauge Help

Ok, i added a trans temp gauge in the car and its also getting a B&M racecooler and stainless braided lines....WHERE DO YOU GUYS PUT THE ELECTRONIC SENDER FOR THE TEMP GAUGE??? please help, im getting it put in like a week or two....
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

there is a plug you take out on the driver side of the tranny, thread your sensor in and wire it up
Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

For the best and most accurate reading, put in the return line (top) going to the transmission. This will show you how good your cooling system is or is not working.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search thats what I did.

I have read the port on the tranny case is not very accurate.

And you really dont need to see how cool you can get the fluid, but how hot the fluid is getting. Put it in the feed line FROM the tranny TO the radiator. Then you will see how hot the fluid is getting.

Hope that helps. My gauges just got here today too. Ill post pics once they are installed. I got the B&M Blackouts, should be sweet!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PBA
For the best and most accurate reading, put in the return line (top) going to the transmission. This will show you how good your cooling system is or is not working.
This is where I have mine....hottest temps the tranny ever achieves. I don't go much past 180 unless I am going WOT repeatedly. In this cooler weather, I rarely achieve 150 in stop and go traffic. But since it gets so hot here in the summer, I am getting a bigger cooler and running both of them in-line.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

kool, yeah i got the autometer phantom gauge and mounted it next to the TCS switch.... nice and subtle
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

nikon, any pics??? is it toward the top, or middle or back??? i want to look tomorow at my dads shop....
Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

What? why are you guys trying to gauge the temp of the fluid leaving the cooler AFTER IT"S BEEN COOLED? install the sender so you can get an internal fluid temp before the fluid's cooled. there's reverse logic there. I also have mine installed in the perssure test port.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

ohh, thats what thats for
Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
What? why are you guys trying to gauge the temp of the fluid leaving the cooler AFTER IT"S BEEN COOLED? install the sender so you can get an internal fluid temp before the fluid's cooled. there's reverse logic there. I also have mine installed in the perssure test port.
I have mine installed in the pipe leaving the cooler.. little off topic.. does anyone know what the difference in temperature might be between the hot and cool line if someone has say a 24,000gvw cooler?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with GregWS6&z28. The temp after it is cooled means nothing. You will never know how hot it got which is what matters. Mounting it in the cooler line coming out of the tranny BEFORE it goes into the cooler seems like the smartest and best location to me, but that is just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can mount it in the pressure port and you will be fine. You just want to get an over all idea of what the trans fluid temp is. If you want to be **** you can put it in the trans cooler line before it goes to the cooler. Yes it will show a slightly higher temp cause its at the end of the line of the trans, who cares. Its just like the water temp gage/sending unit. Where is it located? At the front of the head... Well if you were to move it to the back of the head (by cylinders 7/8 area) it will show a higher temp cause thats the end of the line for the water in the block and will be the hottest. Are you going to move that sending unit to the back of the block to get the best possiable reading, probably not. Just stating that you just really need to know the idea of the temp inside the trans(test port or pan) and simply screw the sending unit in or you could go a step further, go to home depot/nappa, buy some t-fittings and adaptors and install it in the return line(BEFORE THE COOLER) Up to you where you put it but just dont put it in the return line after the cooler. So your choices are
1.Return line before cooler
2.Test port
3.Oil pan
you pick, any of thoes will be fine.

here is a link for the test port
http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Not trying to hijacka thread here but, when you buy the tranny temp gauge it comes with everything you need to install it except wire right? Should i get an eletrical or mechanical gauage?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Second Club

electrical
Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks bubagump, so the sending unit itself fits in there w/o the big adaptors, cool, mine is a 2 inch autometer phantom and its mounted next to the TCS switch, thanks cause i cant use a t pipe in line with it b/c im getting custom length stainless braided lines for the B&M racecooler its a 29,500 GVW cooler which will be plenty for me, soon i will have custom coated LT's and a stall to go with all that.... im shooting for low 12's on a DD
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
you can mount it in the pressure port and you will be fine. You just want to get an over all idea of what the trans fluid temp is. If you want to be **** you can put it in the trans cooler line before it goes to the cooler. Yes it will show a slightly higher temp cause its at the end of the line of the trans, who cares. Its just like the water temp gage/sending unit. Where is it located? At the front of the head... Well if you were to move it to the back of the head (by cylinders 7/8 area) it will show a higher temp cause thats the end of the line for the water in the block and will be the hottest. Are you going to move that sending unit to the back of the block to get the best possiable reading, probably not. Just stating that you just really need to know the idea of the temp inside the trans(test port or pan) and simply screw the sending unit in or you could go a step further, go to home depot/nappa, buy some t-fittings and adaptors and install it in the return line(BEFORE THE COOLER) Up to you where you put it but just dont put it in the return line after the cooler. So your choices are
1.Return line before cooler
2.Test port
3.Oil pan
you pick, any of thoes will be fine.

here is a link for the test port
http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html
I care...cause a lot of guys say they mount it in the pressure port and never see greater than ~160 degrees. I see 200 plus with it in the cooler line. Your car, your choice. I'm not taking chances. It's known fact that the test port is not an accurate reading site for tranny temp. That should be enough to dissuade you from putting it there. And I personally don't want to get "an overall idea" of what my temps are. I want to know exactly what they are. You call it ****, I call it simple and smart. Is it better to "have an idea" or to know without a doubt. To the original poster, it's your call.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

line going to the cooler is the best spot for hottest temps and peace of mind...
Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess you should move your water temp sending unit also, just so you know the sending unit is in the front of the head and its proven that the back of the block around cylinders 7 and 8 run the hottest but my guess is your not going to move it. So i guess you dont care to know EXACTLY what the water temp really is but you have to know EXACTLY what the trans temp is.
My experience by testing each location is only 10-15* at most difference(have other gm cars too and its the same) also checked temps with a logger and read the same as the test port.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
i guess you should move your water temp sending unit also, just so you know the sending unit is in the front of the head and its proven that the back of the block around cylinders 7 and 8 run the hottest but my guess is your not going to move it. So i guess you dont care to know EXACTLY what the water temp really is but you have to know EXACTLY what the trans temp is.
My experience by testing each location is only 10-15* at most difference(have other gm cars too and its the same) also checked temps with a logger and read the same as the test port.
beat me to it.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

As a matter of fact, I have a water temp gauge that takes a more accurate reading than the stocker as well. So yes, I guess I am "****". I also know exactly what temps my car produces. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp gauge Help