Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Shop in Pomona. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toy Shop in Pomona. Is it worth it?

Does anyone have anymore information on the Toy Shop in Pomona or Mike's Transmission in Lancaster? If they have worked on your car or a friends, how was their work & do they have fair prices? Thanks for reading this and for any help. LS1tech members!

Sam "the broken tranny man"
Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I think you should add in your talking about Pomona and Lancaster California. Err I guess I just did it for ya.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

If you do some research, you will find the Toy Shop does not have a good history when it comes to 700R4's & 4L60E's, same with Mike's. The Toy Shop for broken parts, and Mike's for the clutches burning up, with some variations. This is what I have seen, and I have talked to others who have torn down these units and with similar conclusions. Do your homework.......
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mikes Transmission does GREAT work.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PBA
If you do some research, you will find the Toy Shop does not have a good history when it comes to 700R4's & 4L60E's, same with Mike's. The Toy Shop for broken parts, and Mike's for the clutches burning up, with some variations. This is what I have seen, and I have talked to others who have torn down these units and with similar conclusions. Do your homework.......
Do you have any Socal shops you would recommend? I need to find a shop that knows how to build a bullet proof tranny in Socal. I don't feel like shipping my transmission out of state to get good work. Anything would help. Thanks again, Sam
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Us socal guys are sh*t outta luck, we've gotta ship em out if we want a serious build
Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
Do you have any Socal shops you would recommend? I need to find a shop that knows how to build a bullet proof tranny in Socal. I don't feel like shipping my transmission out of state to get good work. Anything would help. Thanks again, Sam
You dont have to ship your trans out of state to get it built several companies including ours on here will just ship you a replacement transmission ,Something to think about.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Teching In

I emailed the previous owner of my camaro that had work done at the Toy Shop, just waiting to hear back from him, so I'll let you know
Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you my experience with the toy shop..had a transmission built($1800, $400 core charge), burned up the rear planitaries in 1400 miles..I live 165 miles away..I had Mike ship the trans to me & I had it installed locally, when it blew he decided to bring his truck & trailer the car to his shop..he had it for about a month..converter checked out fine, he really wasn't sure why the trans blew up. it has been running good now for about 3 months..we decided that he keep the core charge since he had to send the converter to Yank and start with a whole new core since I pretty much went through 2 of them...He made it right for me & I am semi happy...Kind of a mixed feeling but he even delivered the car back.It's not easy being 165 miles 1 way...He had originally fixed a trans for me about 4 years ago(new bands & Clutches), It was just a fresh up that cost $800 & it lasted 2 years, 20,000 miles but about 80,000 on the transmission itself..
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I will say has all the sounds of a reputable company that stands behind what they sell. Any one can spit out a bad product here and there. What counts as least to me is wether they stand behind that product and from your description it sounds like they did.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
I will tell you my experience with the toy shop..had a transmission built($1800, $400 core charge), burned up the rear planitaries in 1400 miles..I live 165 miles away..I had Mike ship the trans to me & I had it installed locally, when it blew he decided to bring his truck & trailer the car to his shop..he had it for about a month..converter checked out fine, he really wasn't sure why the trans blew up. it has been running good now for about 3 months..we decided that he keep the core charge since he had to send the converter to Yank and start with a whole new core since I pretty much went through 2 of them...He made it right for me & I am semi happy...Kind of a mixed feeling but he even delivered the car back.It's not easy being 165 miles 1 way...He had originally fixed a trans for me about 4 years ago(new bands & Clutches), It was just a fresh up that cost $800 & it lasted 2 years, 20,000 miles but about 80,000 on the transmission itself..
Thanks Dan for the heads up. You would think that Cali would have some good transmission shops with all the high performance cars rolling around here. Thanks for letting me know what you paid for the work.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by james562
Us socal guys are sh*t outta luck, we've gotta ship em out if we want a serious build
From what I have read these last 2 weeks, I think your right.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well I will say has all the sounds of a reputable company that stands behind what they sell. Any one can spit out a bad product here and there. What counts as least to me is wether they stand behind that product and from your description it sounds like they did.
Yes, The guy is a straight shooter..he wanted to get to the root of the failure as much as myself..he has been in business for 15yrs. The only reason I chose this shop is because I heard nothing but good things from a bunch of people. From reading a bunch of these threads, there is an enormous amount of 4L60e failures(Converter failures). It's unbelievable. I guess we are driving these cars to hard
Old 06-03-2007, 05:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dan
Yes, The guy is a straight shooter..he wanted to get to the root of the failure as much as myself..he has been in business for 15yrs. The only reason I chose this shop is because I heard nothing but good things from a bunch of people. From reading a bunch of these threads, there is an enormous amount of 4L60e failures(Converter failures). It's unbelievable. I guess we are driving these cars to hard
I dont know about enormous , When you consider that there are 1000s of members on here and very large number are autos, You see a few post a week , But since people who arent having problems dont post it can appear that way just looking. But in reality everything fails and in high performance a little more often lol. But I think anytime you try and make anything perform beyond its design that will always be the case, But 4l60es are good transmissions , There are just alot of them so theres more to fail lol.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Teching In

just heard back from him, he said the complete rebuild was around 2800
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black_lt1_z28
just heard back from him, he said the complete rebuild was around 2800
You got yourself a strong transmission there Black LT1. I wonder what cost so much? Maybe he got a level 2-3 tranny built for your car. I wish I had the money for that kind of a build. I can see there is no one else with info on California shops. I might have to jump on the phone and call a out of state shop.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I have a feeling it came with a converter also for $2800
Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
I have a feeling it came with a converter also for $2800
You might be right Dan. I was thinking the same thing since a yank goes for $850 or more. I was thinking of going with a 3600 stall, trans cooler, and temp gauge with my tranny rebuild. Thats more $$$$$$$$$$ out the window. Crap!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm thinking about getting my transmission rebuild done with a new vig 3200 converter. I'm also going to install a temp gauge with a trans cooler. Its getting hot now in Califonia (99-101) in the Valley. That is the reason I think my tranny went in the first place.

Sam

Quick Reply: Toy Shop in Pomona. Is it worth it?