Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me install my tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me install my tranny cooler

So a few months back a bought a big ole perma cool tranny cooler from jegs. I made a very feeble attempt at installing it but when i realized i wasn't sure where to mount it i kind of gave up on the idea....Well im having my stall put in and i was just gonna let the shop take care of the cooler while there doing the convertor but the guy at the shop says there is no way that it will fit in my car. The thing is i don't remember what size it is, but i do remember that it was a size that was recommended on here.

Can anyone tell me where im supposed to mount it? (pics)

Or is there a writeup out there that i couldn't find?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

alot of people put it in front of the radiator. and fits just fine. if its really big then you can take off the wiper fluid thing, for more space. should fit tho. i havnt heard of anybody saying it wont or had problems making it fit.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

does anybody have any pics? are you guys using the plastic poke through brackets to mount them?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the B&M 24K cooler installed "dope style", that is when you are looking at the nose of the vehicle, it sits right behind the passenger turn signal to the left of the radiator. I have 2 braided hoses going through the black air dam connecting to the transmission fluid lines.

In my setup, the trans fluid goes into the radiator, out to the cooler, back to the transmission. I had the cooler professionaly installed by a very reputable transmission shop.

SteveC
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SteveC
I have the B&M 24K cooler installed "dope style", that is when you are looking at the nose of the vehicle, it sits right behind the passenger turn signal to the left of the radiator. I have 2 braided hoses going through the black air dam connecting to the transmission fluid lines.

In my setup, the trans fluid goes into the radiator, out to the cooler, back to the transmission. I had the cooler professionaly installed by a very reputable transmission shop.

SteveC
that sounds bad ***, do you have any pics? how and what is it attached to?
how much did they charge to have it installed?

can i drive at all w/o the tranny cooler or will i hurt something? I've had to make small trips here and there here lately without the cooler, mainly highway and i've kept my foot out of it as much as possible.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by its turbo time
that sounds bad ***, do you have any pics? how and what is it attached to?
how much did they charge to have it installed?

can i drive at all w/o the tranny cooler or will i hurt something? I've had to make small trips here and there here lately without the cooler, mainly highway and i've kept my foot out of it as much as possible.
I do not have any pictures, however, if you look under the nose of the vehicle to the left of the radiator, there is metal support with plenty of room to install the cooler, the incoming air that is caught by the air dam, keeps eveything nice and cool. I live in a very warm climate, and even in dead of summer my freeway temp is at 140F, in town no higher than 180F. The stock setup runs +180F.

The question surrounding the "driving without cooler", depends on the OD of your performance TC. The smaller the OD the faster it spins, thus creating more heat, this is the killer of all transmissions, heat. My Yank converter is 10.8" ID, the stock I believe is 11.5"+. The Vigilante is a 9.5" OD, thus it creates more heat. You need to find out the OD of your Fuddle, I am sure it is smaller than the stock.

I had the Torque Converter, Transgo Shift Kit, SF-29 race grade flexplate, transcooler, poly trans mount, and Superior billet super servo all installed for $750.

If your vehicle is not lowered you may want to install a 3Qt. deeper transmission pan, B&M sells one for about $165. Coupled to a cooler, you should be ok.

SteveC
Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the B&M cooler as well but here is my write up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/629042-trans-cooler-install-pics-inside.html
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

I finally got it in there, i just put it right in front of the condensor, i had to sacrifice my lower scoop of my fast toys ram air kit though, which kind of sucks...I did find out what kind of cooler it is also, it's the 24,000 gvw flexalite cooler