Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme 4L60E stage 3 hits going into D or OD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extreme 4L60E stage 3 hits going into D or OD!!!

I just got my 2nd stage 3 installed on the car since the first one had a servo problem. Anyway I just got the car back today and when you put it in drive or overdrive it slams into gear. Same thing happens when it shifts into 2nd. I can put it into reverse and it goes in nice and smooth. Do you think it's the trans again or just something tuning can take care of? I have a Vigalante 3200...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Default Re: Extreme 4L60E stage 3 hits going into D or OD!!!

It's vacuum modulated. If you have a big cam, it's gonna snap into drive gears like that. Even the stock cam will jerk it a little, but the bigger cams produce even less vacuum at idle. Mine does too, as does every other vacuum modulated 4L60E that I've ever seen....
Old 06-26-2003, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the vaccum tube to the tranny is not plugged or sucking shut.

My tranny was doing the same thing till I noticed that the vaccum tube was sucked flat. I replaced the tube with some tranny cooler style black hose. After that the tranny shifting great.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

man all these problems with the speed inc trans has me spooked. i sure hope i have better results!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

From all the built transmissions that I've seen, they will defiently have some kick going into gear..

My TH400 will break street tires loose goin from neutral to 1 or 1 to 2 or neutral to reverse...
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

man all these problems with the speed inc trans has me spooked. i sure hope i have better results!
Umm.. this is more than likely a small issue. More than likely an install error. Far from what I consider a "problem".
Old 06-26-2003, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I currently am getting my transmission by a well known tranny guy in South Texas. I rode In a A4 with a small stall that the transmission guy built and damn that sucker shifts! He even makes his own Custom Shift Kits with a great warranty too! I hope mine comes out OK and not like some nightmare trannys Ive been reading from Big shops. Some guy posted that his Tranny crapped out in 2K miles from Speed Inc...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Speed inc trans is a solid unit, period. Mine is one of the originals, and it's still doing great.

I've seen them hold up to 600+ hp great.

I've seen guys break FLP trans' too. And many, many other 4L60E builds. They all will break if you abuse them or push them farther than they were built for. Also, every once in a while a bad unit will slip out from every builder. But, the fact still remains that Speed Inc takes GREAT care of their customers if anything does go wrong. You won't find any shop that will stand behind their work more than Speed Inc.

As far as the jerking into gear goes, sometimes mine just barely jerks and others it snaps hard. It's all in how much vacuum you are making at the time, and bigger cams will obviously make less vacuum. My vacuum line is fine (I've checked, also it has a coil running through it to prevent collapse), it's just the nature of a vacuum modulated trans. All of them I've seen with bigger cams do it.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Larry today and asked him about the trans and he said the same everyone here said. Thanks for the quick reply's. I would totally reccomend Speed Inc's tranny's to anyone. Like said before every trans wont be perfect the first time in. Tom and his crew are by the most honest and respectable people when it comes to helping you out with a problem. I highly reccomend going there for any service to your ride.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:04 AM

SNAXS if you are talking about the guy in the valley, and you are the 35ss red with white stripes, I suggest you think twice, the well known guy built my tranny, and now I am having problems, he just rebuilt it about 3 months ago, and I just barely have about 1k miles. I am thinking Century now....
Old 06-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Teching In

There that new "racing transmissions" sponsor here now. I am going to give them a call on Monday. I suggest you guys do the same (I did a search over on camaroz28.com and found nothing but amazing reviews on that company).
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any of you guys with the Speed Inc trans have a vibration problem like this:

I have a stage II with a brand new Vig 3200.
The car has a vibration at about 1800 rpm, 2500 rpm, and 3500 rpm.
The vibration is not enough to rattle the whole car, rather you can feel it in the seat of your pants and in the steering wheel.
It comes over 1-2 seconds and goes away for 1-2 seconds.
The vibration is there in park as well as while driving, but it by far the WORST in 3rd gear while driving.
The trans mount has been triple checked and is tight, likewise for the crossmember.
The bellhousing is fully seated and all bolts are tight.
The exhaust has been checked and is not hitting anywhere (it is not the muffler- I have a straight- thru dynomax 6" race muffler).

I'm thinking it's the trans for 2 reasons:
1. since it is noticeably worce in 3rd.
2. The trans as delivered is still not fully functional- TCC does not function, speed inc is working on (for a month now) a new TCC solenoid harness.
(I question the inital quality of the rebuilds-I don't think these are run on a dyno before delivery).
anyone have a similar vibration?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take off the Poly trans mount and I bet 99% of that vibration will go away.

I had one with the stock tranny do the same thing. Put the stock mount back on... it was gone. Unfortunitly I was dumb enough to try it again on my Formula, just bought a new 1LE mount from SDPC, and it's going in ASAP!

Quick Reply: Extreme 4L60E stage 3 hits going into D or OD!!!