Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC lockup question

If the trans is low on fluid would that prevent TC lockup?...........Paul
Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think it could prevent lockup from a tuning perspective but It could allow it to slip like any other clutch set from low line.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well think of it this way. The PCM commands the TCC solenoid to allow L/U.

If there is not enough fluid pressure then yes, L/U will not occur. But, if that were the case your PCM should be tossing a DTC and MIL lamp.

Are you experiemceing L/U issues?

g
Old 01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Launching!

The transmission was working fine untill I put different heads & cam in.I had H/C already but I changed my set up.I had the trans out to fix the clearance on the 3-4 clutches,WOW what a differance the 2-3 shift is now & I also changed the 97 PCM to a 02 pcm,Repinned it checked all misfire tables compared to the 97 pcm tune.I have no codes,It shifts all gears fine but no lock up.I drained the trans fluid out and only about 3 qts came out and I usually I get about 6 qts.I hooked up EFILive and and commanded all the solenoids and they all made a clicking noise.So with that I'm thinking not enough fluid and the trans temp only got to 135*.I tried to make along story short................Paul
Old 01-27-2008, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Interesting. Just to clarify... you can manually drive the TCC Soleniod correct?

If so, fill 'er up and then drive it. See if it goes into L/U.

Here's where it can get tricky. What Transmission DTC reporting have you turned off?

What engine DTC reporting is turned off?

For all of those, have your turned off the testing for them as well.

I am not sold on the low fluid condition. But... definately start there!!

If that does not get it don't hesitate to call me tomorrow.

If you can e-mail me your .bin file I could take a look at the tables and see if there is anything that could cause L/U to be disabled.

g
Old 01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Interesting. Just to clarify... you can manually drive the TCC Soleniod correct?

If so, fill 'er up and then drive it. See if it goes into L/U.

Here's where it can get tricky. What Transmission DTC reporting have you turned off?

What engine DTC reporting is turned off?

For all of those, have your turned off the testing for them as well.

I am not sold on the low fluid condition. But... definately start there!!

If that does not get it don't hesitate to call me tomorrow.

If you can e-mail me your .bin file I could take a look at the tables and see if there is anything that could cause L/U to be disabled.

g
I have to transfer my .bin file from laptop to desk top.My laptop is not hooked up to the internet.It will probably be a day or 2 before I go and test the car again,But this time I'll make sure I have enough fluid in the trans......Thanks for the replies.......................Paul
Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Sure thing... I can open EFILive files, but that's it. That is the software I have been associated with and know enough to make suggestions and recommendations based on the ables and symptoms.

Stay in touch and don't hesitate to call.

g
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Launching!

I tried the BI Di cotrols with EFILive while the car was up on jack stands,Put it in third TCC duty cycle was 100% But TCC mode still said off even when I commanded with the BI directional controls.The only code I have is 0102 because I'm in SD.What should I check?........................Paul
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

The solenoid on the left clicks when I command it,But the one on the right does not.Is it suppose to make clicking sound.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, it should be making a noise when toggling it on and off, if you place your hand on it can you feel it operate?

Take a look at the snout real well... it has a filter inside of it that must be released by rotating it. Take a pair of needlenose pliers and remove it and tell us if there is any debris in it.

g
Old 02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Launching!

That screen is clean.To replace that solenoid,Its the whole harness right?I was holding it and there was no clicking or anything,But the other one was clicking(solenoid on left)...............Paul
Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Ya know, I just went back and read the comments about running the BiDi drivers through EFI Live. And you stated that it still read off correct?

If so, do you have any way of Ohming out that soelnoid and the harness back to the main trans connector?

As far as replacing the solenoid... yes you can buy the complete harness, solenoid and all.

But, there is an aftermarket replacement that is available that does not require the entire harness. I'm not sure if a local parts house will stock either, but it's worth a shot to look for just the TCC solenoid kit. If not, a GM dealer will have the replacement. And of course if you wish I could send you one as well.

But before we spend any $$$ here on a part I want to know that we are replacing a failed component.

I am not so sure that the test you ran is a valid test. Meaning, I believe it is possible for it to not enable even though it is being commanded. Are you certain that all of the enable fields were met even though it was commanded on through the BiDi controls?

g
Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Ya know, I just went back and read the comments about running the BiDi drivers through EFI Live. And you stated that it still read off correct?

If so, do you have any way of Ohming out that soelnoid and the harness back to the main trans connector?

As far as replacing the solenoid... yes you can buy the complete harness, solenoid and all.

But, there is an aftermarket replacement that is available that does not require the entire harness. I'm not sure if a local parts house will stock either, but it's worth a shot to look for just the TCC solenoid kit. If not, a GM dealer will have the replacement. And of course if you wish I could send you one as well.

But before we spend any $$$ here on a part I want to know that we are replacing a failed component.

I am not so sure that the test you ran is a valid test. Meaning, I believe it is possible for it to not enable even though it is being commanded. Are you certain that all of the enable fields were met even though it was commanded on through the BiDi controls?

g
I won't be able to see which pin on the trans plug to ohm out the solenoid.I had the plug off and that was a bit of a task.That solenoid is not that expensive by itself anyway....................Paul
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Something that did not occur to me until just now.... when you have the key on, have you checked to see that you have 12v at the solenoid? If so, then it is not getting the gnd signal.

That is the defining test... sorry for not bringing that up sooner.

g
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Driver 456 If you need a new harness with the solenoids I have an extra one. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

let me know
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Something that did not occur to me until just now.... when you have the key on, have you checked to see that you have 12v at the solenoid? If so, then it is not getting the gnd signal.

That is the defining test... sorry for not bringing that up sooner.

g
How would I do that?....454mag.Thanks I wish I would have read this sooner,I just ordered a solenoid.....................Paul
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Launching!

I probed the wires on that solenoid and toggled it on & off.ON it was at 10.73 volts & OFF was 0.00 volts.I put the volt meter on the battery and it was 11.23 volts,So I take it the solenoid is bad?.................Paul
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
I probed the wires on that solenoid and toggled it on & off.ON it was at 10.73 volts & OFF was 0.00 volts.I put the volt meter on the battery and it was 11.23 volts,So I take it the solenoid is bad?.................Paul
The voltage on one side of the solenoid when its on going to 0 would be correct as the PCM grounds it to activate and the 10.73 is ok too that far down in the harness assuming the car not running. Its hard to hear a lockup solenoid click like the others do. A better test would be to apply aprox 30 psi of air to the end of it, Then you can turn it off and on it should block and release the air flow. Now that will verify the solenoid is working However it will not verify that the comand is actually given driving down the road. Also remember the PWM solenoid plays into the picture also. You will want to make sure its screeen is clear and that is does click. If you want to verify the comand for TCC enable is actually getting to the solenoid driving you will need to tap into the TAN wire with the BLACK stripe at the trans harness and run a wire into the car to see if when tcc is enabled the circuit does indeed go to ground and LED works well for this or a DVOM. When doing this remember the TCC will not enable untill engine reaches aprox 140 degrees.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
FormerVendor

Put a solenoid in it and see what you get.

g
Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks Guy's,I'll let you know how I make out...............Paul

Quick Reply: TC lockup question