Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
the lexus in ca. that started the whole thing was a floor mat issue and yes the vibe is a matrix but some electronics are gm no i'm not sure which parts (denso and cts pedal assemblies are the affected parts for the recall) and of the two recalls only one in mandatory from the nhtsa the other from toyota along with the stop sell order is voluntary. there also makin new pedals for some fords and peugeots i'm just tryin to get acrossed that one there are 2 different recalls and it is not just toyota and mainly a huge media misunderstanding course toyota was stupid about it just throwin info out to the media before the dealers got any info we are gettin the recall parts numbers op codes and tech instructions today and tomorow we don't even have parts yet oh and side note how bout them delphi ecm's
Again, read the thread. The stoppage of sales was at the request of the government. The floormat recall was just a BS cover-up attempt as cars that have either had the recall service performed or had the floormats removed are still having the problem. The only difference between the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe is the badging. The only misunderstanding here is you not understanding that Toyota is 100% at fault and trying desperately to make it go away, and they're not doing a very good job.

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
i doubt he is an inspector... but i will tell you this there are 3 people in this thread that has driven and or touched more toyota with this "problem" than anyone else.. and NO ONE HAS SEEN A PROBLEM OR BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE ISSUE... but what the **** do we know we just work for the problem right we cant be wrong...
Ever try and track down an electrical gremlin causing an intermittent problem? I've only been able to duplicate an issue for a dealer on one occasion. Also, the solution(s) that Toyota is proposing (stronger return spring, better corrosion protection to prevent pedal sticking, etc.) will do absolutely nothing to solve an unintentional and uncontrollable WOT condition. All they will solve is a pedal sticking, and for a stuck pedal to cause a WOT condition, the driver would have had to initiate it and the solution would be easily fixable by pulling the pedal back up with your foot. A stuck pedal does not explain cars suddenly going WOT with no user input. The problem is deeper than a stuck pedal and Toyota refuses to admit it.

Food for thought:

"Toyota first installed electronic throttles in 2002 model year Lexus ES and Camry sedans. Total complaints of sudden acceleration for the Lexus and Camry in the 2002-04 model years averaged 132 a year. That's up from an average of 26 annually for the 1999-2001 models, the Times review found.

The average number of sudden-acceleration complaints involving the Tacoma jumped more than 20 times, on average, in the three years after Toyota's introduction of drive-by-wire in these trucks in 2005. Increases were also found on the hybrid Prius, among other models."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5254584.story

So as a whole, Toyota's average "unintended acceleration" problem increased from 26 to 132, a 400% increase, and for the Tacoma specifically, they went up 2000%. In what realm of existence is this acceptable?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

your right i'm not an inspector, and i'm not tryin to sound cocky, i am a toyota master tech and been with toyota 8 years and like i said i have not seen or heard of this happen even once at my dealer or from our district manager and i don't know if any of the crashes show proof off pedal stuck but i have had floor mat hold the gas once and hold brake pedal up once on test drives thats just my experiences
Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you missing a recall cause both are not in curculation yet the new one is more than floor mats it involves cuttin the pedal and reprograming the ecm the other is shimming the pedal for quicker return and may need to be programed too these are 2 problems stickin to the floor is one and slow too return is another thats what we where told today both should be released by tomorow so i'll be able to read each one like i said before some cars need one some need the other and some need both if the recalls come out saying anything else it's because they did not tell us and I agree they handled this poorly i'm not backin toyota it pisses me off too
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i know i don't drive them they don't do nothin for me style wise hell i have 4 gm's a powerstroke and work on toyotas i'm certainly not bias but it's been a good company to me and give alot of us jobs
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats kind of strange is how the higher ups in the Toyota organization keep repeating its not an electrical problem. Why? Was anyone saying it was electrical issue or a glitch that is commanding the vehicle to go WOT.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i doubt he is an inspector... but i will tell you this there are 3 people in this thread that has driven and or touched more toyota with this "problem" than anyone else.. and NO ONE HAS SEEN A PROBLEM OR BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE ISSUE... but what the **** do we know we just work for the problem right we cant be wrong...
Wow if you think you can duplicate the problem you should stop working on cars. 99% of the time the car act's like a perfect angel at a shop, kinda like an infant at an ER. If your are lucky to ever duplicate this problem you will find the problem to be not with the accelerator alone. There are a lot of electronics wired to today's pedal's, I'd bet on an electronic issue personally. I don't think the new shim will fix anything because Toyota is chalking it up to people leaving their foot on the pedal or the floor mats.

Oh ask the guy in intensive care here in Louisville about it. He had two feet on the brake and was at a stop light, so he hadn't been on the pedal for at least 45 seconds. He was also aware of the mat issue and to be safe had taken them out of his car. So in this instance it was not the mats, or a stuck pedal. But what does this guy know, he's just in critical condition last I heard.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kain01
Wow if you think you can duplicate the problem you should stop working on cars. 99% of the time the car act's like a perfect angel at a shop, kinda like an infant at an ER. If your are lucky to ever duplicate this problem you will find the problem to be not with the accelerator alone. There are a lot of electronics wired to today's pedal's, I'd bet on an electronic issue personally. I don't think the new shim will fix anything because Toyota is chalking it up to people leaving their foot on the pedal or the floor mats.

Oh ask the guy in intensive care here in Louisville about it. He had two feet on the brake and was at a stop light, so he hadn't been on the pedal for at least 45 seconds. He was also aware of the mat issue and to be safe had taken them out of his car. So in this instance it was not the mats, or a stuck pedal. But what does this guy know, he's just in critical condition last I heard.
well i am sorry for his situation... but if he was at a red light... why not turn the car off put it in neutral? or did he RUN THROUGH a red light..? again i am sorry... again in my 10 years at toyota.. i have NEVER had ANY car do this other then a stuck pedal caused by a floor mat..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have any reading comprehension skills at all? He said he was at a red light and hadn't been on the gas pedal for 45 seconds and was standing on the brake with both feet. Have you ever approached a changing light, decided it wasn't worth stopping, and not only not have touched the gas pedal but also stood on the brake pedal with both feet? That completely defies logic and even suggesting it is deplorable. When in doubt, blame the victim. That's despicable. Pretending a problem doesn't exist won't make it go away.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

man you need to calm down your acting like a kid you have 2 senoir techs givin you hands on experiences and tech info straight from toyota no ones hiding anything
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Toyota released a statement in our paper. "If your pedal sticks, apply firm pressure on the brake, do not pump the brake as it depletes the vacuum assist, apply a firm steading pressure and try and put the vehicle in neutral or try and shut off the vehicle and pull to the side of the road then contact your dealer"

If floor mats caused all of these problems, then global warming is caused singlehandedly by ls1tech.com and its members...

I work for them. I know what goes on. You guys that have no experience other than reading on websites should stop acting like a child, stop believing car companies/ads/dealers and start actually doing stuff yourself and use first person experience.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just find it funny that it cannot be duplicated as far as the electrical part of the pedals sticking. Only thing we have been able to duplicate is the stacked floormats under the gas peda.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Question Prius complaints unrelated?

I assume the recent complaints about some braking issues by some Toyota Prius owners is totally unrelated to all of this, correct?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100203/...n_toyota_prius
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

correct and i have a feelin that it's nothing anyone that drives a hybrid will say the brakes feel funny the hybrid sys uses the electric motors to slow down changes polarities so it's a generator instead of a motor causin drag it always feels funny the transition
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
correct and i have a feelin that it's nothing anyone that drives a hybrid will say the brakes feel funny the hybrid sys uses the electric motors to slow down changes polarities so it's a generator instead of a motor causin drag it always feels funny the transition

very true. thats why prius brake pads last ~100k miles.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had a custumer burn them up in 5k miles my co-workers didn't beleive me
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

i guess the calipers were ceased... toyotas are good for that haha
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i am sorry for his situation... but if he was at a red light... why not turn the car off put it in neutral? or did he RUN THROUGH a red light..? again i am sorry... again in my 10 years at toyota.. i have NEVER had ANY car do this other then a stuck pedal caused by a floor mat..
That is low to say that someone was trying to run a red light when the police report that was released to the news verified everything that the man claimed. He may die, and you're making light of it, real humane. This is the attitude that I expect from Toyota and it's driver's that I've experienced so far. No wonder I don't like them.

Last edited by kain01; 02-03-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

lolol
Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom

If floor mats caused all of these problems, then global warming is caused singlehandedly by ls1tech.com and its members...

Close. One ls1tech member...me.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toyota, moving foward......even if you dont want to

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal