Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ive been trying to reconcile the thoughts in these threads. this debate is exactly the same debate in the modular world when comparing the 4.6 4v to the 5.4 4v.

when the 5.4 4v has the same heads and is designed for 600rwhp and 7200 rpm shifts the 4.6 is left behind. it cant make power at 8200, there ARE no parts available to breath up there all-motor.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who gives 2 ***** about stock and who gives 3 ***** about N/A?

The new 5.0 will rock my socks off w/ a forged bottom end and a turbo. **** the 4.6 4vs love turbos; I cant begin to imagine what will be done w/ much better heads.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Who gives 2 ***** about stock and who gives 3 ***** about N/A?

The new 5.0 will rock my socks off w/ a forged bottom end and a turbo. **** the 4.6 4vs love turbos; I cant begin to imagine what will be done w/ much better heads.

my motor is a first gen ported 4v. it doesnt need more head flow. it has plenty for forced induction. 1000hp is a crank i have in the attic and fuel system to support it away. im probably not going after that kind of power in my 4v. i am tempted to boost the 5.0, but i already have a boosted 4v with more power than the 5.0 bottom end can probably take.

there are cheaper more proven ways to get to boosted horsepower level than a 2011 5.0. the exciting thing about the motor is it's all-motor capabilities. in max hp level it will compete very well with a LS series motor.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The new 5.0 will rock my socks off w/ a forged bottom end and a turbo.
Ya good point. Nothing else with a forged bottom end and turbo is any good right? Definitely what everyone can afford and will be doing to them...

And saying 'who cares about n/a' on ls1tech is like saying 'who cares about twinscrews' on svtp. Preaching to the choir.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KW4life06
Ya good point. Nothing else with a forged bottom end and turbo is any good right? Definitely what everyone can afford and will be doing to them...

And saying 'who cares about n/a' on ls1tech is like saying 'who cares about twinscrews' on svtp. Preaching to the choir.
Haha couldnt tell you the last time I was on SVTP and N/A is still lame; usually poorer driveability and more of a peaky powerband at the same power levels. Unless theres a class restriction I dont see a reason not to use a power adder.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha couldnt tell you the last time I was on SVTP and N/A is still lame; usually poorer driveability and more of a peaky powerband at the same power levels. Unless theres a class restriction I dont see a reason not to use a power adder.
Then why aren't we all boosted already? Its not free you say? Its because forged engines and power adders generally cost more than cam/heads/intake. I thought we were talking about power from bolt ons mods etc, not full blown race engines where money is no object. I'd love a sick boosted car, but thats out of mine as well as mosts' budgets.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

You don't have to go forged if you keep the boost low. For example, a 2v GT can hit 400 or so without needing forged parts. And I know people who have put supercharge setups together for less than $3k.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Then why aren't we all boosted already? Its not free you say? Its because forged engines and power adders generally cost more than cam/heads/intake. I thought we were talking about power from bolt ons mods etc, not full blown race engines where money is no object. I'd love a sick boosted car, but thats out of mine as well as mosts' budgets.
im in agreement with you.

realistically a forged assembly is far too costly for what the average driver can use anyway.(1400.00 for rods/pistons plus an engine build and installation/tune) just a 500rwhp motor doesnt mean you go any faster. without supporting chasis and suspension mods extra power is worthless.

for example Ed olin runs 11.4 @ 119 with 390 rwhp in a 3000 lb car with driver. thousands of 424-450rwhp cars can barely get out of the 12's with that much power. a lot of power and just slicks is usually asking for spider gear failures or splines broken off axles. extra power requires extra money on chasis. it can be an equal amount.

unless you just want a dyno queen. who gives two ***** about that.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
for example Ed olin runs 11.4 @ 119 with 390 rwhp in a 3000 lb car with driver. thousands of 424-450rwhp cars can barely get out of the 12's with that much power.
Who is Ed Olin? And his times with 390rwhp and 3000lbs is laughable. There are dozens on here who go just as quick with the same power at 3600lbs+.

In general when you see big power numbers that don't match with the track times it's usually found on a boosted car. When you see impressive track times for the power it's usually found on a naturally aspirated car. N/A setups seem to perform better than a boosted setup making similar power. The GM crowd has the option to do either, which is why N/A is popular and not in the late model Ford camp where N/A NEVER makes sense.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

There are people making decent numbers N/A with a 2, 3 and 4valve GTs. It's just CHEAPER to make it with a super/turbocharger system. You get more HP per $1, and they take well to boost.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure what you're trying to argue here? People will build any engine, so the capability when built is worth discussing. There is life after bolt ons or h/c/i, and a lot of people will do it, so why not discuss it lol
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Who is Ed Olin? And his times with 390rwhp and 3000lbs is laughable. There are dozens on here who go just as quick with the same power at 3600lbs+.
Good point. I ran 10.9s (at 125+) with only 393rwhp at over 3200 pounds.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure what you're trying to argue here? People will build any engine, so the capability when built is worth discussing. There is life after bolt ons or h/c/i, and a lot of people will do it, so why not discuss it lol
The fact you tried to dismiss any N/A build and jump to the 'build it and it will go fast.' Its very obvious with the head flow numbers that of course it will respond to boost. I'd say most these new heads that flow over 300cfm@.600 lift stock have good potential for said forged/boosted build, as well as anything else. Of course someone will build one, etc, but it seems much more irrelevant and assumable than discussing the 5.0's base potential. Boosting these engines is going to be a lot less common than the 4.6/5.4's due to 11:1 CR. It's going to be an N/A monster, thats why I feel the N/A discussion is more relevant. This 5.0 makes more power than the 5.4 in the cobra R's doesn't it?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The GM crowd has the option to do either, which is why N/A is popular and not in the late model Ford camp where N/A NEVER makes sense.
N/A is popular with the LSx platform because it's cheap in comparison to going the forced induction route and they make nice power N/A, but nowhere near what a forced induction setup will do. That brings us back to the $$$ aspect though. I think the factory stock Ford guys would disagree with you about not running a N/A setup.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
N/A is popular with the LSx platform because it's cheap in comparison to going the forced induction route and they make nice power N/A, but nowhere near what a forced induction setup will do. That brings us back to the $$$ aspect though. I think the factory stock Ford guys would disagree with you about not running a N/A setup.
The only modular Fords that get any respect around here are all boosted. N/A modulars and even the nitrous stuff no matter what the build always fall short. The 96+ Mustangs were a joke until the 2003 Cobra ruined their well deserved shitty reputation.

I'm not at all familiar with late model factory stock Fords, probably for a reason . Can you give a competitive example?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fact you tried to dismiss any N/A build and jump to the 'build it and it will go fast.' Its very obvious with the head flow numbers that of course it will respond to boost. I'd say most these new heads that flow over 300cfm@.600 lift stock have good potential for said forged/boosted build, as well as anything else. Of course someone will build one, etc, but it seems much more irrelevant and assumable than discussing the 5.0's base potential. Boosting these engines is going to be a lot less common than the 4.6/5.4's due to 11:1 CR. It's going to be an N/A monster, thats why I feel the N/A discussion is more relevant. This 5.0 makes more power than the 5.4 in the cobra R's doesn't it?
You're reading into my posts too much. Im interested to see the end-game success of the 5.0 compared to the 4.6.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

The only modular Fords that get any respect around here are all boosted. N/A modulars and even the nitrous stuff no matter what the build always fall short. The 96+ Mustangs were a joke until the 2003 Cobra ruined their well deserved shitty reputation.
You live out in the sticks Marc? Because I live in a small town in WV and we have quiet a few N/A 2V GTs in the high 11s low 12s. Not FAST FAST.. but faster than a lot of bolt-on N/A LS1s in here.

Can a 2v GT be made to be as fast as a LS1 N/A wise? Of course not. But that doesn't mean they are shitty.

Comments like that above are either ill-informed, or just all out immature.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test