Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
Please tell us more about your "stock" gt500 fast times even though you admitted to having a tuner in your car at the track but he was "just" data logging then a short time later you go from running 12.0s to low 11's.
Justin from VMP was there the first day I ran 11.5's. VMP has a shop car, but they never datalogged it at the track before modding it, so he asked if I minded if they datalogged mine just to see what happens with the car when they pull throttle from the "electronic powertrain feature". As I recall he datalogged a pass without LC and one with LC. I would have to look back at slips from that day, but it went from somewhere around 11.8's to 11.6 then 11.5. Trap speeds were all around 124-125 mph.
Feel free to call or email him to ask if he did anything other than what I have stated and anybody is welcome to look at the car next time I am at the track.
It went 11.3's in much better air and on a better 60' than the 11.5's.
S.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mlee
Hmmmmmm Really? Then what's this-------->Attachment 386423
what about that? i like this forum, like i said there isn't any douchebaggery or mod thuggery like at that other place. basically the SVTP equivalent of the GM world. i haven't stirred any pots, i'm just posting facts like usual.
i do find it funny that you're always trying to dig for secrets though, as if i'm naive enough to believe that no one from LS1T ever stops by SVTP

Lol trapp you sir are funny. I am in no way butthurt or sore about anything I simply love the fact that we have two cars like these two to debate about. I'm just tired of the ford acting like the zl1 is a waist because it doesn't accelerate as hard as the 13gt500. Everyone wants a car that's fast and handles and both cars do but one was built with more handling in mind and the other with brute speed. Personally I think ford was waiting to release that engine in the next model but had to do something to respond to the zl1 that will embarrass a 2012 at the track and door to door at the strip and let's not forget that was the target car when the zl1 was built not the 13.
LOL, but i'm just trolling when there are s that say that the ZL1 can NEVER be beaten by the GT500 on a road course, and i point out that the GT500 and ZL1 have swapped road course comparison victories on numerous occasions(and all shapes and sizes of tracks).

i disagree that ford was planning on putting the 5.8l in the next gen '15 mustang, i'm betting that they downsize and go with a lighter weight supercharged(turbo? would love it, but doubtful) 5.0l coyote. a supercharged coyote can match the 5.8l with only a touch more boost or compression, and will come in at about a 70lb lower weight. ford is dropping curb weight in every vehicle in their line up, and the GT500 won't be an exception. i think the 5.8l is SVT's 'last hurrah' so to speak for the 1st gen mod motors.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Man your good....I'll tell ya that.

You don't think the irs has ANYTHING to do with smoothing out your rumble strip comment?
oh c'mon, now you're just putting words in my mouth. yes, the IRS helps, but it doesn't have near the impact that the mag shocks do. also, i'm not talking about *** ends getting loose over rumble strips, i'm talking about both the nose and tail losing grip(and the front suspension on the mustang is independent). there's only so much you can do with a 'basic' suspension package vs the massive flexibility of the continuously adjusting mag shocks.

Seems like the group from svtpp are starting to car pool over here now. What you guys all get banned from cam5 so now you feel the need to troll on tech?
it's a 'good' forum, i enjoy posting here. you don't have to believe me, i don't really care.
you know what i find interesting? i'm the troll, despite talking about the very subject of this thread in every single post, while the ones claiming that i'm the troll would rather talk about that than the topic at hand...

Last edited by Ry_Trapp0; 01-04-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: quality assurance
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

LMAO

Well look who it is. The fat old p*ssy mod from communist5. Look son you're not built for ls1tech. This is where the big boys with big ***** play. Go your ghey *** back over there and do what you do best, ban any and everyone that speaks the truth about the zl1. Ya know facts like it runs 13's at the drag strip. You know first hand all about that don't you BIG guy. I'd be butt hurt too. Oh and I don't wanna hear the excuse that it ran 13's cause you're 500lbs. LMAO

Now go report me to the mods like the snitch that you are. I'll be waiting for my warning in 5,4,3,2...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM
***Repost Police***

LMAO

There is absolutely NOTHING in that quote that implies he is doing anything over here besides enjoying some freedom.
Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Well look who it is. The fat old p*ssy mod from communist5. Look son you're not built for ls1tech. This is where the big boys with big ***** play. Go your ghey *** back over there and do what you do best, ban any and everyone that speaks the truth about the zl1. Ya know facts like it runs 13's at the drag strip. You know first hand all about that don't you BIG guy. I'd be butt hurt too. Oh and I don't wanna hear the excuse that it ran 13's cause you're 500lbs. LMAO

Now go report me to the mods like the snitch that you are. I'll be waiting for my warning in 5,4,3,2...
We don't agree on many things, but we sure do on this . BTW, I think it would be absolutely phenomenal if the next GT500 was a twin-turbo forged variant of the new 5.0. If they could reliably make it a little bigger, that would be even better.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Seems like the group from svtpp are starting to car pool over here now. What you guys all get banned from cam5 so now you feel the need to troll on tech?
Yes they are coming out the wood work. The GT500 is a fine car that flat out performs so I don't get why they have to come over to the GM sites to defend it and continually slam the ZL1 in the same breath.

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0
LOL, i aim to please

it's all irrelevant until there is a legitimate SAME DAY-SAME DRIVER comparison between the 1LE and 302. the nurburgerkingring has every chevy and nissan fanboy ignoring things like 'logic' and 'common sense'. ask a real race car driver - even an open tracker - what they think of the (totally not)official hamburgering lap time list and they'll laugh because it's 100% meaningless. the same applies to every other track in the world when lap times are posted days, weeks, months, YEARS apart from each other.

and, in the end it's all irrelevant anyways. anyone open tracking their car is focusing on self improvement, not some bullshit lap times vs another car. and any racing series that these cars run in will make 'performance adjustments' to 'equalize' them(want to know why the 5th gen camaro did so well in the continental tire series last year? because it had a minimum weight of 3275lbs while the boss 302 had a minimum of 3350lbs amongst other restrictions on the mustang. the '13 regulations have the 5th gen at 3300lbs and the 302 at 3325lbs). sure makes for some good internet bench racing though

LMAO, please tell me again about how 'streets of willow' has SO MANY big straight aways for the GT500 to pull on the ZL1

i agree 100%! honestly, the biggest difference between the cars isn't their maximum potential on a road course - this has been shown to be VERY close - but rather the learning curve required to run near the maximum potential of each. this is where the ZL1 absolutely shines, with the pansy ***(IMO) PTM and mag suspension covering up any mistakes(or outright amateur driving) made by the driver. that's not to say that the GT500 is a particularly difficult car to drive on a track(not like i would know), rather that it's more like driving a standard car on the track where you really need to put some laps in to get a feel for the car, due to its 'static'(for lack of a better word) suspension. in all of these tests the driver only gets a handful of laps in each car, which is why the results are inconsistent as all hell. professional race car driver or hand shuffling amateur journalist, the need for seat time can't be ignored.
No doubt more seat in all vehicles would have produced better results in all of the cars; not just the Ford. But that would really defeat the purpose of this type of test. Everyone gets the same amount (few in this case) of laps to see what happens when the dust clears. Like I said above the GT500 is fine car that flat out performs. It's truly amazing how good of a job that Ford has done to make a live axle equipped car handle that good, but let's be honest; it's going away soon for good reason.

Specific to the "pansy" PTM; it's really a great system that has similar launch control features like the pansy system in the GT500 and also has a no lift shift feature and other modes as well. The PTM system can be completely disabled if you want. I pulled 1.10 g blasting through some turns with PTM disabled. The MRC is simply outstanding in either tour or sport mode. Call it what you want, but it's simply an awesome system that I think is the wave of future suspension technology.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
We don't agree on many things, but we sure do on this . BTW, I think it would be absolutely phenomenal if the next GT500 was a twin-turbo forged variant of the new 5.0. If they could reliably make it a little bigger, that would be even better.
LOL...I didn't realize we had a past. I totally agree about the TT GT500. That along with the IRS in the next mustang should make Mlee commit suicide.

For those that don't know Mlee is a member/mod at communist5. I was a member of that site for a few years with ZERO issues until the 13 GT500 showed up and **** all over the ZL0. He was just a "normal" member back then but attacked anyone that spoke the truth about the Shelby being MUCH faster than the ZL turd. Also anyone that brought how horrible high 12's @ 113 mph was for that car. I always called him a wannabe mod back then and accused him of snitching to the mods about anyone that wasn't pro zl0. Of course he denied it but not a week after me and about 100 other realist were banned he suddenly become a mod...Hmm BIG surprise there. Literally, this guy is as fat and slow as the car he drives. Lol

He attacked anyone that "trolled" yet he comes on other sites and does the **** he bans ppl everyday for on communist5. Perfect example is the **** he just pulled with his last post. Literally stalking ppl and documenting everything they say.

Thats just a briefing of what he's all about. Trust me there's much much more.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely NOTHING in that quote that implies he is doing anything over here besides enjoying some freedom.
Nope... just linking to another ZL1 thread like they always do over there. Now look at what a perfectly good thread turned into.

My old buddy and ZL1 troll HPJunkie69. This thread and your posts are a perfect example of why you get banned. You've never been the sharpest tack in the box. LMAO
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Nope... just linking to another ZL1 thread like they always do over there. Now look at what a perfectly good thread turned into.

My old buddy and ZL1 troll HPJunkie69. This thread and your posts are a perfect example of why you get banned. You've never been the sharpest tack in the box. LMAO
Actually I'm not "hpjunkie69" you've got me confused with one of the many other people you banned fat boy...

Tell me one reason why I'm a "zl1 troll"?? Cause I say its slow next to a gt500? Cause I say it was overhyped by your beloved **** pushing Al O?? I mean he said the car was lifting the front tires at the track and that it was a 11 sec car all day long. If that isn't overhyping that turd idk what is.

They also said it would destroy the Shelby at the road course, which it doesn't. Matter of fact its slower in some cases. In this test they were NOT tested on the same day nor by the same drivers. C&D was fighting rain the day the GT500's class was ran. We both seen what happens when these two cars are on the track at the same time. A tuned GT500 passed a bolt on pullied zl1 like it was a v6. Van and even the zl1's owner Erik can tell you all about it. Thats if Erik hasn't been drinking that semen laced kool-aid yall have been handing out over at communist5.

Say what u want over this forum but I can promise you one thing you won't say that **** in person. If you believe that you would say it pm your address and contact info. You're just a few short hours away. I'll be more than happy to put you to the test the next time I'm in Texas fat boy.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got hemi- I don't understand why you and others still feel the need to bash the zl1 every chance you get on every site your on like al o took your money and now it's your personal mission to destroy the car any anyone who likes it. We know the gt500 is faster we also know the zl1 is a better track car. Just because one car if faster then the other doesn't make it better it just makes it faster that's it. I'm sure once the stang gets irs and it's handling gets better you guys will start to care about it then huh?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Got hemi- I don't understand why you and others still feel the need to bash the zl1 every chance you get on every site your on like al o took your money and now it's your personal mission to destroy the car any anyone who likes it. We know the gt500 is faster we also know the zl1 is a better track car. Just because one car if faster then the other doesn't make it better it just makes it faster that's it. I'm sure once the stang gets irs and it's handling gets better you guys will start to care about it then huh?
I don't always bash it. I'll admit its a damn good looking car. Much better looking than the standard ss. Also there's no denying its track time is impressive at vir. Just look at its company that surrounds it. I just believe the car was greatly over hyped. Even though its 4k lbs with 580hp it should be trapping 118 in the middle of summer. Hell my car did it at a mere 420rwhp @ 4400lbs. I also believe its software not hardware thats holding the car back. Easily fixed by either gm or the consumer. Even with a fix the car will NEVER be faster than a GT500 stock vs stock and that isn't bashing its FACT.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrow

I don't always bash it. I'll admit its a damn good looking car. Much better looking than the standard ss. Also there's no denying its track time is impressive at vir. Just look at its company that surrounds it. I just believe the car was greatly over hyped. Even though its 4k lbs with 580hp it should be trapping 118 in the middle of summer. Hell my car did it at a mere 420rwhp @ 4400lbs. I also believe its software not hardware thats holding the car back. Easily fixed by either gm or the consumer. Even with a fix the car will NEVER be faster than a GT500 stock vs stock and that isn't bashing its FACT.
We know by now the car was over hyped as far as its quarte mile times are concerned but that's it yet some people try to make it out like its a complete waste. It was designed to go after the 2012 gt500 not the 13 like most of you tend to forget or maybe choose to ignore I don't know. Ford then responded with the much improved 13 to beat the zl1 which it does in a straight line that's it. The only reason it even comes close to having a good lap time it soley based on power not handling and that's the difference between a drag car and a track car correct?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
***Repost Police***

We know by now the car was over hyped as far as its quarte mile times are concerned but that's it yet some people try to make it out like its a complete waste. It was designed to go after the 2012 gt500 not the 13 like most of you tend to forget or maybe choose to ignore I don't know. Ford then responded with the much improved 13 to beat the zl1 which it does in a straight line that's it. The only reason it even comes close to having a good lap time it soley based on power not handling and that's the difference between a drag car and a track car correct?
The 2013 GT500 was improved so much in order to separate the performance further from the Boss 302. The focus wasn't so much on the ZL1.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0
oh, c'mon now. the SS certainly doesn't get the same kind of 'confidence inspiring' praise that the ZL1 does. simply put, with the continuously adjusting mag shocks, the ZL1 simply doesn't get unsettled through even the most hairy of bumps, and with the right PTM mode you can mat the throttle in the middle of a turn and the car will only feed as much power to the wheels as there is traction. the car(namely the mag shocks) saves the *** of poor drivers and it allows great drivers to take some otherwise improbable lines. why do you think cornering speeds are higher in the ZL1 than the mustang? of course you assume it's outright grip, but being able to cut corners and devour rumble strips is a MAJOR contributor. i believe randy pobst made a similar statement in the (ridiculous) ZL1 vs boss 'comparison'. the rumble strips upset the boss 302(just like it would have the 1LE, with its 'fixed'/'static' suspension) yet the ZL1 just absorbed them and allowed randy to cut the corners off.
here's a quote from the recent ZR1-viper comparo...
Years ago, a Ferrari engineer was explaining to Randy, Angus and I that they (Ferrari) simply couldn’t figure out how the Nissan GT-R is able to lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife so quickly. “Oh, I know why,” Randy piped up. “Confidence. You can drive it faster because you’re more confident.”
the GT-R, another car that uses electronic to make joe schmo with too much money feel like mario andretti behind the wheel. granted, it's not the shocks that are doing it in this case, but rather that absurdly well engineered AWD system that allows the driver to do absolute stupid things with the car without suffering any consequences(until they out drive the computer... ...into a tree). and you don't think nissan put together a better chassis than ferrari - especially at 3800+lbs - do you?
it's also the reason that they gave the ZR1 the win over the new viper, those mag shocks working their magic vs the 'static'(again, for lack of a better word) pieces in the viper.[/longer_than_intended_rant]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
we got a comedian in the house
nothing to joke about here, you must have mistaken me with somebody who leaves their cars stock.

Originally Posted by 5ohslayer
This statement just screams butthurt. I'm the biggest ZL1 fanboy there is, but am smart enough to realize that unless your ZL1 is modded, and the GT500 is completely stock, that this is not happening! Carry on.
butthurt? none of that here just stating what i have already done to modded 13 gt500s with my modded zl1.
Originally Posted by Snorman
lol...exactly.
ZL1 gets donkey punched at the dragstrip, where most of us race.
S.
no fanboy here, ive had a few ford products. just enjoy what i own now alot more.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

The 2013 GT500 was improved so much in order to separate the performance further from the Boss 302. The focus wasn't so much on the ZL1.
This. Trust me Ford didn't engineer the new Shelby the few months after the zl1's specs were released. Saying the reason why the ZL1 doesn't match up is BC they targeted the 12 is a cop out/excuse. Actually I want to say the 12 lapped faster than a 13 at a certain track. The ZL1 failed at being faster than the 12, at least not to the degree Al O promised. During the summer months all things being equal I'll put my money on a 12 GT500 at the drag strip.

Last edited by GotHemi?; 01-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This. Trust me Ford didn't engineer the new Shelby the few months after the zl1's specs were released. Saying the reason why the ZL1 doesn't match up is BC they targeted the 12 is a cop out/excuse. Actually I want to say the 12 lapped faster than a 13 at a certain track. The ZL1 failed at being faster than the 12, at least not to the degree Al O promised. During the summer months all things being equal I'll put my money on a 12 GT500 at the drag strip.
It's very clear that Al O has in some way hurt your feelings. To call it a cop out that the zl1 was targeted towards the 12 and not the 13 makes no sense. How can they target a car that doesn't exist (13) they can't they had to base it off the 12 if I'm wrong please explain the facts I may have missed. So are you saying all things equal the zl1 will beat the 12 during the winter months?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

It's very clear that Al O has in some way hurt your feelings. To call it a cop out that the zl1 was targeted towards the 12 and not the 13 makes no sense. How can they target a car that doesn't exist (13) they can't they had to base it off the 12 if I'm wrong please explain the facts I may have missed. So are you saying all things equal the zl1 will beat the 12 during the winter months?
Considering all the bs gm and Al O was spreading they should have thought ahead. Do you, much less gm really think that the GT500 was going to stay at 550hp and just let the competition pass them up??? Ford and everyone else knew gm had something cooking up for the Shelby. So why would gm think that ford wouldnt upgrade the Shelby. Instead of being cheap by basically making the ZL1 from the parts bin of a ctsv they should have went for the KILL. I mean they made it so clear that killing the GT500 was there main goal. Yet they half assed it and didn't do what was necessary, obviously. They could have easily put the LS9 in there and made it real interesting.

Since you seem to be so pro Al O and zl1 I'm sure you know of all the **** talking that was going on when the zl1 was announced. So you can pretend that u don't understand why ppl bash the zl1 but I'm pretty certain you know exactly why its happening.

As for zl1 vs 12 Shelby during the winter I'd say it does have an edge. Only BC the car isn't pulling the timing that it was in the summer due to very high iat's. There's a reason why the cars are dropping almost a full second and picking up 7mph during the winter. And no da alone is not making it gain that much.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering all the bs gm and Al O was spreading they should have thought ahead. Do you, much less gm really think that the GT500 was going to stay at 550hp and just let the competition pass them up??? Ford and everyone else knew gm had something cooking up for the Shelby. So why would gm think that ford wouldnt upgrade the Shelby. Instead of being cheap by basically making the ZL1 from the parts bin of a ctsv they should have went for the KILL. I mean they made it so clear that killing the GT500 was there main goal. Yet they half assed it and didn't do what was necessary, obviously. They could have easily put the LS9 in there and made it real interesting.

Since you seem to be so pro Al O and zl1 I'm sure you know of all the **** talking that was going on when the zl1 was announced. So you can pretend that u don't understand why ppl bash the zl1 but I'm pretty certain you know exactly why its happening.

As for zl1 vs 12 Shelby during the winter I'd say it does have an edge. Only BC the car isn't pulling the timing that it was in the summer due to very high iat's. There's a reason why the cars are dropping almost a full second and picking up 7mph during the winter. And no da alone is not making it gain that much.
You sure do know a lot about GM & Ford to drive a POS Mopar.

I kid, I kid.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
You sure do know a lot about GM & Ford to drive a POS Mopar.

I kid, I kid.
I sure hope you're kidding. Not everyone is brand loyal. Ya kno there are ppl out there that are car enthusiasts... If I had your money id have a performance car from each of the big 3.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I'm not "hpjunkie69"
Actually you are. This is all broken record stuff you just continue to copy/paste because you don't have the capacity to think on your own. Nice to see you found your way to an LS forum to spread your BS. The Al O rhetoric is so old it's pathetic. Guess you found yourself a new audience over here.

Great Thread for a while... later guys..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unhappy

Ok so AL O lied the zl1 get embarrassed by a gt500 in a straight line and goes tit for tat at the track. Happy now? Probably not your still going to surf the web and your best to discredit the zl1 and anyone who picks it over the gt500 that sir is what makes you a troll. If your such a car enthaustist and not brand loyal then why spend so much time trashing a car for what it isn't and instead appreciate it for what it is?

Quick Reply: ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013