Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Z/28 is Back for 2014 - LS7 427, no frills, ceramic brakes, Recaros, less weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91Z28
Until Chevy releases something it is all hearsay and speculation but on another board someone at the unveiling says they were told it would be more than a ZL1.

ZL1s start at 54,999 so 60k or more seems likely.
If its more expensive than a zl1, its not gonna sell as much as a zl1.

Who are they trying to sell this car to? Car enthusiasts like in this forum will have a hard time spending that cash on a z28 when you can get a vette for around the same price.

And why would the rich people buy a z28 when they can get a zl1 with better suspension, AC, a radio, a supercharger, more power, for cheaper? Or again a vette, for close to the same price.

The only reason this car with a high price tag would make sense, is if its a limited production run. If not it has to be less than the zl1 to make any sense. The general public wont care if it has good brakes.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
If its more expensive than a zl1, its not gonna sell as much as a zl1.

Who are they trying to sell this car to? Car enthusiasts like in this forum will have a hard time spending that cash on a z28 when you can get a vette for around the same price.

And why would the rich people buy a z28 when they can get a zl1 with better suspension, AC, a radio, a supercharger, more power, for cheaper? Or again a vette, for close to the same price.

The only reason this car with a high price tag would make sense, is if its a limited production run. If not it has to be less than the zl1 to make any sense. The general public wont care if it has good brakes.
100% agree.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Any once else consider that this (along with the C6 427 convertibles) are low production specialty cars just trying to burn up excess LS7 inventory?

The c6 is officially dead so no more Z06s are being made but they probably still have a lot of extra parts and there is probably a higher profit on selling them in a specialty car (which also burns up more inventory and counts towards vehicle sales) than as crate engines.

Plus the cars themselves are excellent "halo" cars for public relations
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Any once else consider that this (along with the C6 427 convertibles) are low production specialty cars just trying to burn up excess LS7 inventory?

The c6 is officially dead so no more Z06s are being made but they probably still have a lot of extra parts and there is probably a higher profit on selling them in a specialty car (which also burns up more inventory and counts towards vehicle sales) than as crate engines.

Plus the cars themselves are excellent "halo" cars for public relations
Yup, exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
sadly i think this car is going to start at around 50k. thats too much for me.

as far as power goes remember a z28 is considerably lighter than a zl1.
I also think it wll start around that price if not more. Just look at the delta between the LS3 and LS7 cost, the cost for brake hardware, and the seatls alone and add it to a base 1ss car and you can see the price is going to be up there. That is not even factoring in the subtle changes like aero, suspension, R compound tires, etc, etc. I know that most people want it to cost 40k, but it will be a good bit more expensive. Also, the LS7 crate motor looks to be expensive than the LSA crate motor.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

100% agree.
And so do I, which is why I'm disappointed. At that price point the Z06 looks much better. It weighs 800lbs less and still has all of the goodies.

It is a pretty reliable source that said "north of ZL1 pricing". Thinking that "less hp should cost less" isn't going to work here because they are stating the Z/28 is much faster than the ZL1. You don't need to be "rich" to buy a 60k dollar car but at that price point a lot of other options do start to look awfully nice. It seems like a lot for a car that doesn't have a lot of the options that even the lowly V6 cars do, like HIDs and fog lights. I wonder if the Z/28 will at least have the HUD?

A 8-10k LS7 option on the 2SS would have been probably more what people were hoping for. I know that would probably have put me back in a Camaro for the first time in years but 60k or more for a stripped race car is a bit much.

Good call by the poster above on burning up the LS7 inventory with the C6 being dead. THat hadn't occured to me at all; I wonder if they will just have a DI 7.0 in the C7 to replace the LS7?

Last edited by 91Z28; 04-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I see your point(I think) and have asked myself in the past, what GM was thinking.
The base models exist for the masses, like the SS or Mustang GT.

The halo or special models should be just that, special and relatively rare and uncommon thereby justifying their higher MSRPs and retaining their resale value and their desirability over the base models.

That is one of the major issues of buying a ZO6 or ZR1 new, hopefully on with the next Corvette specials GM will keep the numbers low. Ford did it right with the BOSS 302 - only two years, only a thousand or so each year and it's gone. The 662hp GT500 is limited production as well. The ZL1 and Z28 should be no different.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

And so do I, which is why I'm disappointed. At that price point the Z06 looks much better. It weighs 800lbs less and still has all of the goodies.

It is a pretty reliable source that said "north of ZL1 pricing". Thinking that "less hp should cost less" isn't going to work here because they are stating the Z/28 is much faster than the ZL1. You don't need to be "rich" to buy a 60k dollar car but at that price point a lot of other options do start to look awfully nice. It seems like a lot for a car that doesn't have a lot of the options that even the lowly V6 cars do, like HIDs and fog lights. I wonder if the Z/28 will at least have the HUD?

A 8-10k LS7 option on the 2SS would have been probably more what people were hoping for. I know that would probably have put me back in a Camaro for the first time in years but 60k or more for a stripped race car is a bit much.

Good call by the poster above on burning up the LS7 inventory with the C6 being dead. THat hadn't occured to me at all; I wonder if they will just have a DI 7.0 in the C7 to replace the LS7?

maybe not rich but well off imo.

if this car is going to cost 60k GM must not be concerned about selling this car because they wont sell many.

but who stated a z28 will be faster in the 1/ 4 than a zl1? i see them being close with an edge to a zl1.

but yes what i was hoping for was a 1Le ls7 optioned 2ss which is probably not going to happen.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

maybe not rich but well off imo.

if this car is going to cost 60k GM must not be concerned about selling this car because they wont sell many.

but who stated a z28 will be faster in the 1/ 4 than a zl1? i see them being close with an edge to a zl1.

but yes what i was hoping for was a 1Le ls7 optioned 2ss which is probably not going to happen.
Don't know about the quarter but I think Scott said something like 3 seconds faster lap times.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Don't know about the quarter but I think Scott said something like 3 seconds faster lap times.
yes, that has been confirmed.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

This car is built for a road style race track. With the ceramic brakes and wider tires it's totally obvious of it's intention.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield

The halo or special models should be just that, special and relatively rare and uncommon thereby justifying their higher MSRPs and retaining their resale value and their desirability over the base models.

That is one of the major issues of buying a ZO6 or ZR1 new, hopefully on with the next Corvette specials GM will keep the numbers low. Ford did it right with the BOSS 302 - only two years, only a thousand or so each year and it's gone. The 662hp GT500 is limited production as well. The ZL1 and Z28 should be no different.
Don't ya wonder then, why they didn't label the ZL1 "Z/28" instead?? This new Z/28 is more like the original ZL1 than the new ZL1 is, but either way, I think the S/C is why the ZL1 got its name instead of 28... Top dog? I can't tell. Sure, it's the nicer car and sure, it's more comfortable, but from the looks, the racing aspect goes to the new Z/28 all day, every day. Anyone can add a turbo or supercharger to the Z/28 and it's BUHBYEE to the ZL1 in a big fat way!

So having a high price only makes sense, but GM really should limit production of this one or it will look like a sales flop. I'm sure most here who care already know I'm a Corvette fan, but as cool as this new Z is, there's NO CHANCE that I'd choose it over a ZO6! Plus, if it costs as much as or more than the ZL1, though I prefer the N/A approach(I'd rather add my own choice(turbo) of power adder), I'd choose the ZL1 over it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

This a factory race car so there won't be many made. And at the price they'll go for there won't be many sold since it only appeals to hardcore racers.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep in mind the tires in the z28 are much better than the rubber on the zl1. 3 seconds per lap could be from tires alone.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

I agree with everything you said except that the Z06 should be kept artificially rare. The availability and price for what you get is the huge appeal of the Z06 over foreign competitors. If they want to make a special edition low number car for the "drive it 300 miles a year at 50mph" **** then that's fine...but leave the performance track monster available to those who will use the thing.

Plus I would like to own a used one and I like the numbers to be on my side.

I will say cars like the Z/28 and the BOSS are why all the people naive enough to believe they can buy a SS or GT and stick it in a barn for 30 years and have a gold mine are in for a rude awakening. And even then, the rare specialty cars might not see the inflation of the 60s/70s muscle cars.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

can someone please clarify...is the Z/28 model supposed to be better than an SS model? For instance the 4th gen, I always see SS models are more expensive than the z/28 models? from my understanding the SS model is a better optioned car...or supposed to be anyways unless im dead wrong
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by family-man
can someone please clarify...is the Z/28 model supposed to be better than an SS model? For instance the 4th gen, I always see SS models are more expensive than the z/28 models? from my understanding the SS model is a better optioned car...or supposed to be anyways unless im dead wrong
This Z/28 has nothing to do with the 4th gen. It is supposed to be in the spirit of the 1st gen Z/28 which was built as a road-race car.

If you like options than the SS or ZL1 will still be the car for you as this is an absolute no creature comforts race car.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

This Z/28 has nothing to do with the 4th gen. It is supposed to be in the spirit of the 1st gen Z/28 which was built as a road-race car.

If you like options than the SS or ZL1 will still be the car for you as this is an absolute no creature comforts race car.
They are all just logos in the gm parts bin..... the first gen ZL1 was a n/a aluminum block 427, so they aren't exactly paying attention to their heritage, lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
Keep in mind the tires in the z28 are much better than the rubber on the zl1. 3 seconds per lap could be from tires alone.
That's asking just about the entire world from a single set of tires. Seems there's FAR more to it than tires and unless the Z/28 tires aren't even road legal, I really have my doubts one could find a tire worth that much time. After all, it isn't like they just slap junk tires on the ZL1. GM touts "Ultra High Performance" Pirelli PZero tires even for the SS. No, these changes aren't just in tires and my dollar would be on the fact there are nearly 100 "tweaks" and changes to make it shame the ZL1 on a road course... Of course, it isn't like they're proclaiming which and anyone can guess, but I'd think VIR, not Nurburgring. I'd actually think it's only compared on GM's own test track and the ET's could be different for any or all of various reasons, but it isn't at all likely that only tires did it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
That's asking just about the entire world from a single set of tires. Seems there's FAR more to it than tires and unless the Z/28 tires aren't even road legal, I really have my doubts one could find a tire worth that much time. After all, it isn't like they just slap junk tires on the ZL1. GM touts "Ultra High Performance" Pirelli PZero tires even for the SS. No, these changes aren't just in tires and my dollar would be on the fact there are nearly 100 "tweaks" and changes to make it shame the ZL1 on a road course... Of course, it isn't like they're proclaiming which and anyone can guess, but I'd think VIR, not Nurburgring. I'd actually think it's only compared on GM's own test track and the ET's could be different for any or all of various reasons, but it isn't at all likely that only tires did it.
The tires on the z28 are R compound tires that are not recomended for wet weather use. They are vastly superior to F1 supercars in the zl1.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 is Back for 2014 - LS7 427, no frills, ceramic brakes, Recaros, less weight