Spied - All-New Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013 | 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Spied - All-New Ford Mustang

First Ford Mustang prototype shots caught by legendary spy shooter Jim Dunne

By Seyth Miersma
Posted Apr 12th 2013 2:15PM

You know how people refer to someone as having "been around the block" to mean they're very experienced? Well, when it comes to automotive spy photography, Jim Dunne actually laid down the concrete slabs of the block's sidewalk. The unforgettable Dunne more or less invented the car spy game – a fact he cemented by writing book called Car Spy – and has been delivering spy shots and reporting on the industry for some 45 years now. (He also once employed this writer as his impromptu personal chauffer on a Volkswagen trip in Germany, while he slept, but that's a story for a different time.)

In any event, Dunne must be on a mission to prove that "elder statesman" doesn't also mean "washed up" as it is his shots of the upcoming new 2014 Ford Mustang that we've been handed by our friends at KGP Photography.

Mr. Dunne has likely spent the last few years obtaining powerful telescopic lenses, as the Ford in question has clearly been photographed from some distance. Nevertheless, what you see here is visual evidence that the sixth-generation Mustang has moved beyond the mule stage, and is now testing in proper prototype form.

Sources indicate that there are production-spec body panels under that baggy canvass dress; but the slightly less bulky silhouette of the new car can be just made out. While the car's bumpers have been removed to obfuscate things, we can tell by way of the camo's apertures that the car's taillights have moved upwards and towards the lip of the tail. A fender vent appears to be visible, too, just behind the front wheel.

Old 04-14-2013 | 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

There isn't a lot to be seen in that pic, tbh.
Old 04-14-2013 | 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Looks even more retro....
Old 04-14-2013 | 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Looks pretty much like a current Mustang without its bumpers and wearing a tent... It'd be GREAT though, if the pic was clear enough to see which rear setup it has. Basically everyone(in the auto mag world) says Ford simply has to go IRS. Of course, most people wouldn't know IRS from SRA(aka live axle) if they were shown.
Old 04-14-2013 | 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Looks pretty much like a current Mustang without its bumpers and wearing a tent... It'd be GREAT though, if the pic was clear enough to see which rear setup it has. Basically everyone(in the auto mag world) says Ford simply has to go IRS. Of course, most people wouldn't know IRS from SRA(aka live axle) if they were shown.
Is this one clear enough?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
Old 04-14-2013 | 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

That looks 100% like the current... Oh well. Won't make any difference to me, although I did go to test drive one today. They actually tried to get me to look at the Roush Stage 3 and the GT500... I looked, and walked away. Ultimately, I didn't even drive a Mustang. I did, however, get into a 13 Civic(cool car) and a 13 Focus(REALLY cool car)! I knew the Focus had neat stuff, but was surprised at the Honda. Then I learned more about Focus and that Titanium is one seriously hooked up little ride these days.

Anyway, the "next" Mustang isn't looking impressive just yet. I still can't see the rear...
Old 04-14-2013 | 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

^From what I get out of it, they were testing the next-gen driveline (IRS and whatever's in front of it) in the open, and using the old body to hide in plain site. 2015 or whenever the next gen comes out will be a whole new car, not a refresh with IRS. The Mustang has been out in its current form since 2005.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2013 | 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just a mule to test out the new suspension and drivetrain. It's already been confirmed that the new Mustang will have IRS. It's supposed to be going global...there's no way Ford is going to try and sell Mustangs overseas with a stick axle out back.

Quick Reply: Spied - All-New Ford Mustang