Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Grand Prix GXP

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grand Prix GXP

Pontiac restyled the Grand Prix for the 2004 model year. Now these latest photos capture a restyled, high-performance Grand Prix, thought to be the 2006 Grand Prix GXP.

The front of the prototype clearly shows a completely different front end design. The twin grille openings are a bit bolder, with a more square shape to the openings and a slightly wider vertical bar between the openings. The front bumper is completely new, with an extra-large, under-bumper air intake opening, and round turn signals tucked into a recessed pocket on each side of the bumper. Fog lights (taped over on the prototype) are moved to either side of the black painted air intake scoop. This eliminates the odd-looking current design in which the turn signals use the upper half of the round light, while the fog lights use the lower half.

The prototype sports low-profile tires on handsome five-spoke alloy wheels. Looking through the wheel openings one can easily see that both front and rear brakes have red-painted calipers and use cross-drilled disks. The rear spoiler is also redesigned, looking a little larger than the one on the current Grand Prix.

The new GXP is expected to be introduced in summer 2005.

Source:TCC

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=158
Old 09-02-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Cool. But they should put an LS2 in that thing to give it some grunt.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Cool. But they should put an LS2 in that thing to give it some grunt.
Only if they put the power to the right set of wheels. A FWD LS2 would be a horrible driving car.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

It still loses to the 300C and Magnum RT.

Redesign/replacement time isn't too far away though.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

That's a VERY nice looking car IMO. Here's the pic that I saw in R&T:

The only thing that sucks is that its still FWD. I would be all over this thing if you could get it with the 5.3L, RWD, and under $30k - even if A4 was the only trans choice.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
That's a VERY nice looking car IMO. Here's the pic that I saw in R&T:

The only thing that sucks is that its still FWD. I would be all over this thing if you could get it with the 5.3L, RWD, and under $30k - even if A4 was the only trans choice.
I agree, it looks great. There's nothing wrong with it that a V8 and RWD won't cure.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

That car from R&T looks pretty nice.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSUZ28
I agree, it looks great. There's nothing wrong with it that a V8 and RWD won't cure.
AFAIK, the GP GXP will be coming with the 5.3L V8, although I've not heard anything regarding hp/tq numbers. I just wish this thing was RWD. As I've said before about the Bonneville GXP, a RWD sedan like this, either with the SC 3.8L or a small V8, would be an awesome daily driver IMO.

I'm sure the build quality wouldn't be up to par with a Bimmer nor would it have the snob factor, but if packaged and priced right, I think it could take some sales away from the low end of that market. Unfortunately about all we have for now in the domestic market is the 300C...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
AFAIK, the GP GXP will be coming with the 5.3L V8, although I've not heard anything regarding hp/tq numbers. I just wish this thing was RWD. As I've said before about the Bonneville GXP, a RWD sedan like this, either with the SC 3.8L or a small V8, would be an awesome daily driver IMO.

I'm sure the build quality wouldn't be up to par with a Bimmer nor would it have the snob factor, but if packaged and priced right, I think it could take some sales away from the low end of that market. Unfortunately about all we have for now in the domestic market is the 300C...

I'll be in the market for a 4 door car in the next couple years, and I sure wouldn't mind a domestic with a little power, so I hope your're right and they do make one.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Only if they put the power to the right set of wheels. A FWD LS2 would be a horrible driving car.
It may not be that bad driving... GM's done wonders w/their magnasteer power steering... my 04 GTP CompG has no torque steer at all...

However... they'll need MAJOR work on the transmission... the 4T65H or whatever it is is is useless... the thing can't take much power... u put LS2 power through it and you're going to have stock cars killing the trans... I really doubt the GP will be made RWD again anytime soon...
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by horist
It may not be that bad driving... GM's done wonders w/their magnasteer power steering... my 04 GTP CompG has no torque steer at all...

However... they'll need MAJOR work on the transmission... the 4T65H or whatever it is is is useless... the thing can't take much power... u put LS2 power through it and you're going to have stock cars killing the trans... I really doubt the GP will be made RWD again anytime soon...

My fathers 99 Regal GS has almost no torque steer, especially campared to like Acura. The tranny is a POS though, we were worried about its life with just a supercharger pulley and exhaust.

I always thought GXP was for Bonneville and GTP was for the grand prix, but w/e. I like the rims and the lowered stance on those pics.

-Todd
Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Sweet!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

How much more does the 5.3L weigh over the S/C 3800?

If they made this thing a front heavy pig, this was really a pointless and silly exercise. Especially considering for the money it will be soundly whooped by Chrysler's LX cars, just like the Bonneville GXP.

The money would have been better spent making the interior and quality on par with the competition, or putting the HF V6 in it instead.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, IMHO it doesnt look that much different.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what is different about this car over the Pontiac bonneville GXP??

Quick Reply: Grand Prix GXP