Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Wyotech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wyotech?

i was woundering if any of you guy's had any advice for someone who wants to work in a high performance or speed shop? im enrolled in Wyotech and im supposed to start school in April. I would love to work at a place like GMMG but wouldnt we all. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's Luke
Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Launching!

I was enrolled at wyotech to start this october but i transfered to NASCAR Technical Institute in NC. Im into the racing and prerformance part of it and as soon as I found out they had a school backed by nascar i was in and plus I was goin to go the Laramie, WY campus and thats not a good idea with a Trans Am cause it snows and blows like crazy out there. But i have had many friends that went to wyotech and its a very good school. They have the Chassis Fab and Hiperf Engines which is a sweet course. Have you looked into UTI. They are the ones that put on the nascar school. But anyways ill stop there. Hope i helped ya out some and if you have any more questions let me know. Ben
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Yea i was enrolled in the Orlando campus of UTI and i went and took a tour in July and wasnt to impressed and i've been wanting to go to Wyotech so i figured i'd try that i've heard alot of good things about Wyotech.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

WyoTech puts out some of the best fabricators and engine builders. I believe that Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington both have a few on their teams. I have a friend who just graduated from high school who is going there this winter. He is real ramped up about it. You can't beat the scenery either!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
WyoTech puts out some of the best fabricators and engine builders. I believe that Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington both have a few on their teams. I have a friend who just graduated from high school who is going there this winter. He is real ramped up about it. You can't beat the scenery either!
"Jesse" from the television show "Extreme 4X4" is a Wyotech grad. She was a student there when they filmed an episode of "Overhaulin'". The episode was for the '56 4-door that they converted into a 2-door roadster.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I think they are both good schools. But the thing that convinced me to go to a UTI Backed school is there is a MSAP or something like that that is a group of high end manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz and a few more but anwyays them companies hire students from schools like Wyotech and UTI and last year there were like 1500 students hired by these companies and 23 of them were from Wyotech and 1400 were from UTI. That right there told me where to go. Where the jobs are at. When i get out of school i want a good job..thats why i'm paying 30k for it so i want to go somewhere where my chances of a good job when i graduate. I have toured both schools and to me the the NASCAR school was by far a lot more impressive. But hearing a 800hp nextel cup car on the dyno aslo helped my decision. But ya thats my opinion but i think both schools are good.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am just curious but have any of you guys looked in the School of Automotive Machinists? They have produced some of the baddest dudes in the country and directly send people to Evernham, DEI, Yates, Rousch, Warren Johnson, Allen Johnson, John Force, Ed Pink, Tony Schumacher, Penske, etc. They are also a sponsor here on Ls1tech AND people like Katech, lingenfelter, etc. have graduates. Charles Anders, owner and president of Horsepower Engineering here on ls1tech as well as Pecos, owner and operator of LME (also sponsor) are graduates of SAM! Did you guys know about this place?

Just curious.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard of SAM, but never knew they were so big with top names in the industry. As far as Wyotech, my good friend just started there a few weeks ago and absolutely loves it. It is expensive, but they will help you with finding jobs and they have other campuses besides the Wyoming one. I would definitely recommend it since I went with him to the open house of the shop and such...plus all Wyotech students get a 50% discount on Snap-On tools.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I just graduated from the Wyotech West Sacramento class in Chassis Fab and High Performance Engines and I must say that this campus should be shut down. I would say that most of the instructor are inexperianced and the most don't last longer then 3-6 months at a time before quiting or getting fired. Most of the material is out dated and not with the times. The class I was in was the first class at this campus and I must say that I really wish that I had never attended. Most of the graduates from this campus are not able to get really good jobs. Lets put it this way, this campus is so desparate for instructors that they have hired kids to work for them. I personally would say that if you are planning on attending Wyotech don't go to this campus go to Wyoming or UTI. If could go back in time I would have attended SAM's racing.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

One other thing....what do you call a school that promotes ASE but is no longer certified.....Wyotech.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Launching!

I thought the Sacramento Campus was one of the newer ones. If you want a current modern school im not sure youd want to go to the Laramie campus either. Its a tin building out in the country. After touring NTI in NC Wyotech doesnt even begin to compare...to me. And at NTI where i am going you get a 55% discount on Snap-On Tools. So if i were you make sure and look around and just dont make your decision by looking at one school. Look at a few schools before you decide on one for sure. I know im glad i did otherwise id be going to Wyotech right now.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard a lot of good things about SAM and plan to attend. I just need to see the 2006 enrollment schedule or whatever.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

It is one of there newer campuses....they should have waited at least a year so that they could employee new instructors and to update the material.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69chevy
I've heard a lot of good things about SAM and plan to attend. I just need to see the 2006 enrollment schedule or whatever.

January 5th is when the next enrollment of the school starts. Give us a call at 713-683-3817 and we can talk over everything you need to do and know about the school. Just shoot me any questions you can think of. I can also give you the rest of the beginning of the 2006 schedule as well . let me know how I can be of service to ya.

Gray
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Launching!

I'll have to say guys, if you are really into cars and more into doing testing rather than building, look into Minnesota State University, Mankato. Their 4 year Automotive Engineering Technology program is just what you want. There you will get all the hands on you want to learn plus you get to learn how everything else works.
They have an SF-901 engine dyno, SF-600 and 1080 flowbenches, Mustang chassis dyno, superflow emmisions dyno, superflow bike dyno and some of the greatest proffesors anywhere.

I graduated from there 2.5 years ago and it started me into a career that is excellent. If you are interested, give them a call and ask to see Dr. Bruce Jones http://cset.mnsu.edu/aet/ . He will be more than happy to give you a tour of the facilities.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PGT-ZE
I thought the Sacramento Campus was one of the newer ones. If you want a current modern school im not sure youd want to go to the Laramie campus either. Its a tin building out in the country. After touring NTI in NC Wyotech doesnt even begin to compare...to me. And at NTI where i am going you get a 55% discount on Snap-On Tools. So if i were you make sure and look around and just dont make your decision by looking at one school. Look at a few schools before you decide on one for sure. I know im glad i did otherwise id be going to Wyotech right now.
I have three friends that went to the Laramie campus and they didn't really like it that much.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Launching!

I currently go to Nascar Tech. and am not that pleased with the school. To be quite honest it should not be called NASCAR Tech, because nascar really does not want much to do with the school. The school defenitly caters to the guy that wants to work in a regular old dealership. They certainly do not aim to put out grads for the high performance industry. Thats not to say that you will not be able to find a job with a speed shop or race team because it is certainly posible just don't let the name of the school or all the hype get to you. READ BETWEEN THE LINES. If you have any questions about the school just PM me.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBronco
January 5th is when the next enrollment of the school starts. Give us a call at 713-683-3817 and we can talk over everything you need to do and know about the school. Just shoot me any questions you can think of. I can also give you the rest of the beginning of the 2006 schedule as well . let me know how I can be of service to ya.

Gray
One thing that concerns my parents about me attending SAM is the surrounding area. I have a cousin that lives in the woodlands and she says that the area around the school is real bad. So most likely I will be living by myself while I attend, where would you recommend finding a place. Nothing too expensive or far.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

ill be attending SAM nov 8.....badass school , the area dont seem to bad but then again i live 10 hrs away...

69chevy I found a decent place off of 290 pretty close to the school called vintage apartments i suppose its safe has gates n everything but my lease is just 6 months so after the lease is up ill move elsewhere once i get to know my way around houston.

Gray You do the same thing as josh dont u? dunno if ive speaked to u yet?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
ill be attending SAM nov 8.....badass school , the area dont seem to bad but then again i live 10 hrs away...

69chevy I found a decent place off of 290 pretty close to the school called vintage apartments i suppose its safe has gates n everything but my lease is just 6 months so after the lease is up ill move elsewhere once i get to know my way around houston.

Gray You do the same thing as josh dont u? dunno if ive speaked to u yet?
Is it expensive there at those apartments or not? Just curious because the schools already expensive enough, let alone the living costs and everything else.

Quick Reply: Wyotech?