Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Corvette = worst reliability-Consumers Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette = worst reliability-Consumers Report

GM has three of the four worst cars for reiliability as determined by Consumer Reports magazine.

The Corvette is at the top of the list. Other GM cars on the list include Saab, and Hummer.

On the Corvette they said the convertible tops suk, the car is filled with rattles, electrical problems abound, piston slap is common (a valid complaint since 1997) and the fit and finish is poor.

Consequently, if you have any GM common stock - sell it before it goes any lower.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

That's funny, last night I was driving my dad's C5 (basically new, 04 with 4k miles) and I was admiring at how much nicer the fit and finish is compared to my Z28.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

thats kinda lame because a lot of what you mentioned pertains to luxury, sure those things are nice but the vette especially was designed for performance first, sorry I had to vent because I hate consumer reports.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

any link? the link i saw to forbes.com had 5 fords and the rest where imports, there werent any GM cars on the list
Old 12-21-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Least Safe: Ford Ranger

Base Price: $15,045

A four-wheel-drive Ford Ranger pickup has a two-star rollover-resistance rating. The government says a model with this rating has a 30% chance of rolling over in a single-vehicle crash.

A one-in-three chance of rolling over in a crash? Stay away from the Ford Ranger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Least Safe: Mazda B-Series

Base Price: $15,960

The B-Series is a twin vehicle to the Ranger and, as such, suffers from the same problems as the Ford.

The B-Series is also one of the lowest-selling mainstream cars on the market. In the first 11 months of 2005, Mazda sold only 5,460 B-Series models in the U.S. Lincoln sold over three times as many of its LS sedan, which is headed for discontinuation.

Least Safe: Mitsubishi Lancer

Base Price: $14,599

Mitsubishi's Lancer sedan has a two-star side-impact rating for the front seat.

The two-star rating means that in a typical side crash, a front-seat occupant would have a 21% to 25% chance of an injury that would require immediate hospitalization and could be life-threatening.

Least Safe: Nissan Sentra

Base Price: $13,705

Nissan's Sentra sedan has a two-star side-impact rating for the front seat.

The two-star rating means that in a typical side crash, a front-seat occupant would have a 21% to 25% chance of an injury that would require immediate hospitalization and could be life-threatening.

Least Reliable: Infiniti QX

Base Price: $50,300

According to Consumer Reports, Infiniti's QX SUV is the least-reliable car on the market. It is 300% less reliable than the average car.

We actually enjoy the QX quite a bit, both for its opulence and for the way in which its luxury melds with its sheer size. You can count on one hand the other vehicles that compete against the Cadillac Escalade. But in Consumer Reports' most recent tests, the QX received ratings of "poor"--the lowest possible--for the reliability of its electrical system, brakes, body integrity, power equipment and body hardware.

Worst Residual Value: Chrysler Sebring sedan

Base Price: $20,380

According to the most recent data from the Kelley Blue Book Residual Value Guide, the Sebring sedan is the 2006-model vehicle with the lowest projected residual value.

Kelley says that after five years, a 2006 Sebring will retain only 19% of its original value.

Worst Residual Value: Ford Freestar

Base Price: $24,595

According to the most recent data from the Kelley Blue Book Residual Value Guide, the Freestar is one of four 2006-model vehicles tied for second place on the list of cars with the lowest projected residual values.

Kelley says that after five years, a 2006 Freestar will retain only 21% of its original value.

Worst Residual Value: Jaguar X-Type

Base Price: $32,995

According to the most recent data from the Kelley Blue Book Residual Value Guide, the X-Type is one of four 2006-model vehicles tied for second place on the list of cars with the lowest projected residual values.

Kelley says that after five years, a 2006 X-Type will retain only 21% of its original value.

Worst Residual Value: Kia Optima

Base Price: $16,990

According to the most recent data from the Kelley Blue Book Residual Value Guide, the Optima is one of four 2006-model vehicles tied for second place on the list of cars with the lowest projected residual values.

Kelley says that after five years, a 2006 Optima will retain only 21% of its original value.

Worst Residual Value: Mercury Monterey

Base Price: $21,995

According to the most recent data from the Kelley Blue Book Residual Value Guide, the Monterey is one of four 2006-model vehicles tied for second place on the list of cars with the lowest projected residual values.

Kelley says that after five years, a 2006 Monterey will retain only 21% of its original value.

i got that from another site
Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Not surprising.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
GM has three of the four worst cars for reiliability as determined by Consumer Reports magazine.

The Corvette is at the top of the list. Other GM cars on the list include Saab, and Hummer.

On the Corvette they said the convertible tops suk, the car is filled with rattles, electrical problems abound, piston slap is common (a valid complaint since 1997) and the fit and finish is poor.

Consequently, if you have any GM common stock - sell it before it goes any lower.
Well, I can refute the Corvette remarks with my own personal experience. It's not scientific, but neither are CR's survey results - they just ask their subscribers, and theres a good amount of self selection going on there 1) to subscribe to CR in the first place, and 2) to fill out the survey.

No rattles, only "electrical" problem was the stock battery needed to be replaced with an Optima, convertible top fits great, goes up and down easily, has held up well, and keeps the elements at bay just as well as a hard top. No piston Slap in our 03. And the only bit of fit and finish that is even a little off is the place where the top right corner of the trim plate around the radio meets the dash - there's a little gap there.

My buddy's 01 Saab 95 has been similarly problem free.

If you want to talk unreliable, I can name all sorts of things that late model BMWs and Mercedes have wrong with them.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a news article stating the domestic cars were actually better quality than their German counterparts. Only the Japanese cars were better than domestics. Odd.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Anything you can tell me bad about companys other than gm feel free to pm me with the info. Im a carsalesman for Chevy and I am trying to touch every source possible.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

hmmmm
Old 12-23-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

still waiting? I havent seen anything confirming what he said?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

You are forgetting one thing: Most Corvette owners are complainers and expect a $100,000 quality automobile for only half that price. These guys tend to complain about just about anything you can imagine, and are very critical of their cars. The rest of the automotive buyers just buy a car and use it for transportation, and do not scrutinize their cars nearly as much. The only issues I've seen on Vettes is that electric column lock malfunction, and the batteries going dead.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The only issues I've seen on Vettes is that electric column lock malfunction, and the batteries going dead.

Ditto Nine Ball - that's why we replaced Mom's with an Optima (OEM battery would go dead whenever she washed the engine compartment) and got an 03 Automatic (no column lock).
Old 12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

With all the great press the new C6 Z06 has been getting lately, it was only a matter of time before one magazine printed negative stuff.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
On the Corvette they said the convertible tops suk, the car is filled with rattles, electrical problems abound, piston slap is common (a valid complaint since 1997) and the fit and finish is poor..
not sure why vette is singled out like this, this applies to any late 90s-early 00s GM car/SUV.

GM cannot build nice cars - old news.

EDIT: actually, they might have a good point on the rattles, there are couple of nasty trans rattles in the C5 Z06. LOL even owner's video has an example, and they say it's completely normal.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badjuju342
I read a news article stating the domestic cars were actually better quality than their German counterparts. Only the Japanese cars were better than domestics. Odd.
CU's reliability study shows American and European cars are about the same as far as long term reliability. Japanese cars are still the most reliable by far.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
With all the great press the new C6 Z06 has been getting lately, it was only a matter of time before one magazine printed negative stuff.
Somehow I don't think they were intending to blanket the Z06 with this survey.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

American cars have come a long way, but still have a long way to go. It makes me sad. I mean if I were a CEO at GM, I would take so much pride in my company and try and make the best products possible. America is the nation of the automobile. We made them what they are today, and they're a part of our society unlike any other. I think there's no reason why American car companys shouldnt be known for having the best, most innovative and reiliable cars that are constantly ahead of the game. But instead, they seem lost and cheap.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Teching In

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-25-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You are forgetting one thing: Most Corvette owners are complainers and expect a $100,000 quality automobile for only half that price. These guys tend to complain about just about anything you can imagine, and are very critical of their cars. The rest of the automotive buyers just buy a car and use it for transportation, and do not scrutinize their cars nearly as much. The only issues I've seen on Vettes is that electric column lock malfunction, and the batteries going dead.
hahaha like on the C5s, the targa top has a little strip of tint that isn't as dark. They go crazy and buy new tops for 1k

Quick Reply: Corvette = worst reliability-Consumers Report