Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Local Dragway in Trouble, please read...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Local Dragway in Trouble, please read...

If anybody has had any experience with local laws changing to allow for noise pollution restrictions directly related to (ONE PERSONS ) complaints of the noise from a racing facility, please offer any advice you can.

This person has been very persistent and vocal and has gotten the state legislature to allow noise ordinances to be enacted. I know it is not a deathblow to the track, but I fear it will eventually lead to the decline in business for and, ultimately, closure of the dragstrip.

I have contacted SEMA and the SAN, but haven't heard anything back from them just yet (several other local racers have contacted them also). We have also decided to attend the next county commission meeting in numbers and let them know that there are many people this will affect.

We know to remain respectful and polite, not to drive foolishly and to try to appear as nice as possible. Is there anything else we can do? Do petitions really help anything in a situation like this? Letter/E-Mail campaign? Anything?

Please help!
Taco

p.s. If this is the wrong forum, please move it, or tell me where to put it and I will.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Hey, I joined SAN yesterday. I saw the thread over at Southeast Muscle Car Association. I hope we can fight this one. Dumbass people shouldn't have moved there in the first place. Keep us updated.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Taco
If anybody has had any experience with local laws changing to allow for noise pollution restrictions directly related to (ONE PERSONS ) complaints of the noise from a racing facility, please offer any advice you can.

This person has been very persistent and vocal and has gotten the state legislature to allow noise ordinances to be enacted. I know it is not a deathblow to the track, but I fear it will eventually lead to the decline in business for and, ultimately, closure of the dragstrip.

I have contacted SEMA and the SAN, but haven't heard anything back from them just yet (several other local racers have contacted them also). We have also decided to attend the next county commission meeting in numbers and let them know that there are many people this will affect.

We know to remain respectful and polite, not to drive foolishly and to try to appear as nice as possible. Is there anything else we can do? Do petitions really help anything in a situation like this? Letter/E-Mail campaign? Anything?

Please help!
Taco

p.s. If this is the wrong forum, please move it, or tell me where to put it and I will.
Definately petition! And I'd see if I could get the petition of the neighbors as well. What kind of schedule does your drag strip keep?? Was the dragway there when the neighbor moved in or did it come after? I'd seriously think about forming a group for the track, and looking to the court system to fight it...hopefully SAN will maybe provide a good attorney in that area. Good luck...as we can't keep loosing our places to race because someone has a bug up their *** and happens to know a few polotocrats.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The track has been there since 1959. It runs on either Friday and Saturday (through the summer months) or Saturday and Sunday (spring and autumn months). Occasionally there are races that run the course of all 3 days, but they are beoming fewer and farther between.

We do have monthly Pro-Mod races and once or twice a year, nitro Top-Fuel cars. They (Top Fuel) do not go down the track after 11 pm though.

The lady complaining moved into her house in 2004. She started her proceedings 18 months ago, so it sounds to me like she moved in and immediately began her legal journey against the track.

I have heard rumblings that she and her husband are real estate developers with potential "projects" in the immediate vacinity of the track and they are doing this to pad their pockets.

So help me if that is the case...

Thanks for your interest and help, it is very much appreciated!

Taco
Old 04-20-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If this happens, I'm 99.9% sure the track will lose business and eventually have to shut down. Just get a huge group of poeple together and tell the board, legislator, or whoever that you're OK with this...and that you'll just take all of the races to the streets. I'm sure this will make them second guess their decision..

And if this doesn't work...hire a hitman..
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

fight it, shes the dumb yuppie that moved there. its this simple, either put up with something that was there long before you and keeps kids off the streets or move. i hate that crap.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:17 PM
10 second playa

What is SAN?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SAN is the SEMA Action Network (SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association).

The SAN has been responsible for many legislative reversals and injunctions in cases related to the automotive hobby.

If anybody can help, SEMA can!

Taco
Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
fight it, shes the dumb yuppie that moved there. its this simple, either put up with something that was there long before you and keeps kids off the streets or move. i hate that crap.
YEP!!!! Tell her to go **** her self (or EMO herself) as she's the one that CHOSE to live next to a drag strip. Funny, I'm sure there are other neighbors there that have lived their for YEARS and never had 1 problem. LEGAL action is a MUST!

BTW, I would cross post this in the lounge...or PM one of the lounge mods. It would get more reads over there and generate more buzz.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Burn her ******* house down...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Letter and email campaign to the county/city commission, get the local businesses involved, (local chamber of commerce) and any other influential people you can think of (who also may enjoy drag racing), circulate a petition ask the banks, and grocery stores if they will let you put the signature sheets in their business.
We had a similar problem a couple of years ago, they wanted to shut down the big car show due to all the noise, and tickets the cruisers generated, we got a petition, and got the local businesses involved (they make ALOT of their yearly revenue off the car show), and once the city commision saw how much revenue the city would miss out on (thru the sales tax), they quickly changed their tune. It's possible to shut this one bitch up, appeal to the citys cash flow (politicians like 2 things, votes and money, threaten either one and they usually respond)
Old 04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayLS1-327
Burn her ******* house down...
That's the way we all feel, but that's not the attitude we need to present to the politicians making the decisions.

We are starting a petition and e-mail campaign, I just hope we get enough people involved to make a difference.

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!

Taco
Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

That's the way we all feel, but that's not the attitude we need to present to the politicians making the decisions.

We are starting a petition and e-mail campaign, I just hope we get enough people involved to make a difference.

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!

Taco
Yeah, I know it just ticks me off that people who move near/next to a track then complain about the noise. These are the same people that will move near an airport and complain about the noise. Clowns.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Any news on this?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sound ordinance is officially in effect as of May 1.

The dragstrip owner/promoter has reached a "deal" with the commissioner of the district the track is located in. The deal as it stands will allow racing as is until 10 p.m. on Fridays (they usually ran until 11 anyway, and it's just T-N-T, they opened 2 hours earlier to allow for the earlier closing time.) and until 11 p.m. on Saturday. They were having a Midnight Madness program that ran until 2am, but it looks like they will be taking that racing back to the street.

They (the county commission) will have to deal with that on their conscience. Let's pray nobody gets hurt because of this deal. I know I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

That is where it stands now. As of the beginning of racing in '07, all cars will require mufflers (except for the 3 special events per year we will be allowed to put on, those races will not be effected by the ordinance).

This is a huge blow to the Pro Mod fans in the area because we had monthly Pro Mod shows, but they will probably fall under the "Special Events" heading.

Thanks for the concern and replies, I will post any changes asap.
Taco
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

I would imagine this lady would move near an airpot and complain about the noise also.

Since I work for a railroad, I hear this kind of stuff all the time. The only problem is the tracks were there for over 100 years and they are just now hearing the trains. DUH!

I would definitely pursue this in court. While I respect her right to quiet, why in heavens name would she settle in so close to a long established racing facility?

Go Figure! Go get 'em!

Greenrail
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been discovered that she stands to profit mega money (potentially millions) if the track gets shut down. She and her husband own, from what I understand, several hundred acres that are ripe for development, as soon as they get that pesky track shut down. I firmly belive this was their plan all along. Buy the land cheap since the track is there and sell HIGH after they "complain about the noise" and get it shut down.

She will not stop until the track is gone, we are just going to enjoy what time we do have to race.

Then we will ALL have to take it to the streets I guess.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

It has been discovered that she stands to profit mega money (potentially millions) if the track gets shut down. She and her husband own, from what I understand, several hundred acres that are ripe for development, as soon as they get that pesky track shut down. I firmly belive this was their plan all along. Buy the land cheap since the track is there and sell HIGH after they "complain about the noise" and get it shut down.

She will not stop until the track is gone, we are just going to enjoy what time we do have to race.

Then we will ALL have to take it to the streets I guess.
**** HER! Greed *** bitch. Take her to court...contact sema...get an online petion going and have your fellow drag racers, tech members, and gear heads assist you in the ridence of this bitch and her money grubbing ***.

Perhaps you need to file petition for a protest on main street of the county and show the commissioners where you will race if they shut down your track. A "cruise in to support your local outlaw racers" kinda event.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Thats Brilliant.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Indeed.

Too bad it's going to cost several hundred, if not thousands, of people a place to race.

The midnight madness program always has a huge turnout of cars that I have often seen street racing. I see this as a huge step in the wrong direction, allowing their "safe, legal place to race" to be shut down.

Not to mention the millions in hotel, gas and dining revenue that will be lost when the thousands of racers and spectators that turnout for the huge events no longer come to town.

We will see how it goes.
Taco

Quick Reply: Local Dragway in Trouble, please read...