Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Mosler carbon fiber/magnesium wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Mosler carbon fiber/magnesium wheels.

"According to super-car-builder Warren Mosler, the MT900S (C/D, April 2006) will be the first production car with carbon-fiber wheels. Made by Dymag, the wheels have a magnesium center hub connected to a carbon-fiber rim and weigh considerably less than the standard aluminum versions. The front 18-inch wheels weigh 14 pounds, 10 fewer than the aluminum wheels, and the 20-inch rear wheels save 11 pounds each. No word currently on the cost of the new wheels and whether there will be additional applications. If you ever see a Mosler up on blocks, now you’ll know why."

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...dirt-road.html

Are you reading this GM!? I want to see carbon fiber wheels as an option on the Corvette.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's odd. Neat, but odd. Probably expensive as hell, but if they work, I'm sure a lot of people would buy aftermarket cabon fiber rims. Think of how this could change the ricer world!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV's have been running carbonfiber wheels for along time made by a company called Hyper... there over 300 bucks each and there way smaller than a passenger car wheel I pretty sure there would be better chance of a vette with spinners from the factory before composite wheels
Old 06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Wow, learn something new everyday. Have any of said ATV's experienced any durability problems with the carbon fiber wheels?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Nope, they have held up very well. They are less prone to dents than the regular aluminum ones (cf is much stronger). I thought that cf wheels would have problems because they would be too rigid and tend to crack, but I don't think that has been the case. If I am wrong in this matter please correct me. Anyways I think these wheels would be awesome in the automotive industry, and they would look great also lol.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:40 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

They have been making CF ATV and Motorcycle wheels for awhile now.

The Hyper ATV wheels are multipiece. So if you smack a rock or something on the trail, the outer lip can just be unbolted and replaced. They are expensive, but are lightweight and pretty damned sturdy.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

maybe the super vette(whatever it will be called) will have something along these lines. a reduction in rotating mass in the driveline is huge. much more than takin 10-20lbs off a car
Old 06-18-2006, 12:38 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
maybe the super vette(whatever it will be called) will have something along these lines. a reduction in rotating mass in the driveline is huge. much more than takin 10-20lbs off a car
Doubtfull.

Magnesium core with CF? That's going to be an $8k wheel setup without a doubt.

A set for my gixxer are over $3k. Obviously much smaller, and there is no Magnesium. Magnesium is going to be the most expensive part of that deal. Not to mention the time and manufacturing process of these must be pretty time consuming.

Cool factor for sure, I definately don't see it becoming the trend anytime soon though.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:45 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Hmm, I remember having a set of these carbon/magnesium wheels in my hands about a year ago.

We painted them because we were supposed to use them in a magazine shoot on his car. Never happened though.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
ATV's have been running carbonfiber wheels for along time made by a company called Hyper... there over 300 bucks each and there way smaller than a passenger car wheel I pretty sure there would be better chance of a vette with spinners from the factory before composite wheels
CF wheel.

Rub that against a curb. Pull off curb, realize at 65 mph your wheel is going to splinter and shatter like a CF driveshaft.

Die a horribly mangled death.

I mean we've all seen what happens when jo-mama ricer pegs an aluminum wheel and his wheel breaks. Then they still try and drive it.

Last edited by Genesis_26317; 06-20-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
CF wheel.

Rub that against a curb. Pull off curb, realize at 65 mph your wheel is going to splinter and shatter like a CF driveshaft.

I mean we've all seen what happens when jo-mama ricer pegs an aluminum wheel and hit wheel brakes. Then they still try and drive it.
That same carbon wheel I posted up passed all the NTSB tests with flying colors.

I need to dig up the pictures of them test-fit on a car. They look badass in black.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mongse
That same carbon wheel I posted up passed all the NTSB tests with flying colors.

I need to dig up the pictures of them test-fit on a car. They look badass in black.
I am just making fun of a Jo-Ricer 16 year-old who bend their wheel and still tries to drive it around. Carbon fiber splinters when it is weakened and finally breaks. I shredded an aluminum wheel's side and it was still drivable because it doesn't splinter further into the wheel.

Like a steel hood getting slammed, it bends and stays that way. A carbon hood starts to crack and loses strength.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

that paint that cures itself is awesome in that link
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

CF wheel.

I mean we've all seen what happens when jo-mama ricer pegs an aluminum wheel and hit wheel brakes. Then they still try and drive it.
People race with them in the Baja 1000 and if they could make a tire as durable as the whel they'd be on to something ATV's see shock shaft speeds of 90 inches a second which is much higher than most forms of racing(cup car at Bristol is less than 40)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:54 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Pro Stock has been using CF wheels for the last 3~5 years. Any time you can gain a weight savings with rotational mass AND unsprung weight, DEFINATELY do it, unless of course, your budget doesn't allow it. Pretty cool if you ask me. Then again, I love that Mosler car and they aren't that expensive.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I read somewhere on this site a year or so ago about a guy with an Acura NSX who put them on his car. Supposedly the wheels went for $1200 a peice. Is $4800 worth saving 10-20lbs on each corner of the car... maybe I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend and what your goals are. I guess when you compare the $1200/wheel to some of the HRE's and Fikse's, it's not bad at all.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny how people come up with cons about carbon fiber wheels, like theres going to be problems.....

... i mean, if you look into the subject, you'll find they're in offroad race trucks, buggies and bikes... on sportbikes and race karts.. on drag cars and other high level forms of racing where they havent been outlawed.... and they've been in the custom aftermarket for years...
their main drawback is the HUGE cost... other then that, there really are no issues.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
funny how people come up with cons about carbon fiber wheels, like theres going to be problems.....

... i mean, if you look into the subject, you'll find they're in offroad race trucks, buggies and bikes... on sportbikes and race karts.. on drag cars and other high level forms of racing where they havent been outlawed.... and they've been in the custom aftermarket for years...
their main drawback is the HUGE cost... other then that, there really are no issues.

I was just talking about peopke who dent their wheels!!!

There's nothing wrong with them!

The only thing is, is that they splinter when damaged like carbon fiber driveshafts. I was just imagining the ricers at my local college with them, they always tear their wheels up when they smack/rub the curbs.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 PM

The only thing is, is that they splinter when damaged like carbon fiber driveshafts. I was just imagining the ricers at my local college with them, they always tear their wheels up when they smack/rub the curbs.
Very true. Curt (the guy who sold the patent to Dymag) said that once the shell is damaged, the wheel is no longer safe. Doesn't matter if you scratch it on a curb or break the wheel in half. Eventually, it'll reach the same result in the end.

I'm going to try to post some pictures this weekend of the prototype on a friend's Camaro. It's just the wheel on the car since the agreement he had was to shoot the wheel black, use them on his car for a photoshoot and return them to the manufacturer. The photoshoot never happened, so he never took the chance of mounting tires on $5000 worth of wheels.

My original plan was to have him make me a set of 3.5" fronts that resembled a Pro Star, yet weighed about 4#. I might have the CAD drawing I did for that wheel somewhere too.

Quick Reply: Mosler carbon fiber/magnesium wheels.