Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nissan GTR Makes 500AWHP with just a Cat-back.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nissan GTR Makes 500AWHP with just a Cat-back.

"You should go and pick up a copy of the February 2008 copy of Option Magazine. Hiro the editor in chief just sent me a copy because there’s a feature of Cosworth in it. Aside from the fact that there’s a bitchin feature of Cosworth in it (and a picture of yours truly with a stupid *** smile), the main focus of this issue is the R35 GT-R. There’s also a R35 GT-R catback exhaust test in it where some shop fabricated a titanium catback exhaust and the car made 507.9ps (500.95hp) to the wheels. Granted, this test was conducted on a Dynapack so it probably read 5% or higher than any other dyno, but the gain of 22ps is for real. If you can’t do the math, that’s 485ps from the factory which is pretty god damn buff already considering the car is rated at 480hp at the flywheel (proof that a Dynapack reads high again). The boost went up by 0.1kg/cm^2 (1.42psi) due to the reduced backpressure, but this also tells you that the car has some serious potential from the factory. By looking at this exhaust I can guarantee you that it’s louder than hell so I wouldn’t expect a 22ps gain on a production catback exhaust though. Excuse the shitty scans…"

"It looks like Nissan calibrated the fuel map to go leaner after peak torque. This is done to increase peak horsepower and is probably fine at low boost and horsepower levels where the cooling effect of a rich mixture is not necessary. Keep in mind that Nissan is shooting to compete with supercars so they need that peak horsepower number so rich baller dudes can tell their buddies, “It makes 480hp. That’s the same horsepower as your Porsche 997 Twin Turbo for $60k less!!!”. The R35 is buff. "
Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Im impressed but I been hearing alot of crap about that dyno,some say it reads 10% higher but is impressive none the less,can't wait to see some more modding on this car.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Imagine upping the boost just a bit...that's where the real power's at...
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Who gives a f*** anymore. To me these are just like the companies that were claiming crazy rwhp gains with bolt ons for F bodies.

I will be the first to throw up the BS flag.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Who gives a f*** anymore. To me these are just like the companies that were claiming crazy rwhp gains with bolt ons for F bodies.

I will be the first to throw up the BS flag.
Nice! I too am tired of the Nissan talk.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds believable. Maybe it is a factory freak...but it will be vile once it hits the US.

W
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

It's a turbo car, of course it's going to have great gains from opening up the exhaust. This is totally expected.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Chadder
It's a turbo car, of course it's going to have great gains from opening up the exhaust. This is totally expected.
It would be believable if it werent a high end performance car already. It is going to have a good exhaust to begin with, and just a cat back isnt going to gain that much. Complete exhaust I would expect big gains.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Launching!

WRX guys can pull off 25+hp increase off of just a catback...I see no reason why a larger turbo motor can't do the same. Turbo cars react REALLY well to simple mods (Like catback)
Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Production cars cannot have that great of exhaust because of all the BS regs.

Think of all the power a C6Z can pull off with just LT's.

W
Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

WRX guys can pull off 25+hp increase off of just a catback...I see no reason why a larger turbo motor can't do the same. Turbo cars react REALLY well to simple mods (Like catback)
true but this is already a high end car... it shouldn't have some POS catback on it as it is
Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
true but this is already a high end car... it shouldn't have some POS catback on it as it is
The Supra,300ZX,RX-7, and older GTRs were all high end turbo cars as well and they responded just as well or better to basic modifications.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by WECIV
Production cars cannot have that great of exhaust because of all the BS regs.

Think of all the power a C6Z can pull off with just LT's.

W
Those are LT's NOT a cat back. Big difference.

Also a Supra,300ZX,RX-7 were not in the same class that this car is in now. Aside from the Supra they couldnt even hang with base Vette's. Big difference. Do you really think they put all that money into electronics and computers and put a power robbing cat back on it? Be real.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Dude, they can't have a really free flowing cat back because it still has to meet sound regulations. The higher flowing a catback, the louder it's going to be. (The vast majority of the time). Besides this is still supposed to be an easy-to-live-with type of car. It wouldn't attract too many customers if it was as loud as a f-15. The manufacturers do the best they can within restrictions and regulations. However, I'm curious as to why they didn't use some sort of butterfly valve system like that of the z06.

The old supra, rx7, and 300zx were definitely in the same class as this GTR. Easy. Supras and RX7's were selling more than the modern equivalent of $50,000 back in the early 90's. Sure they don't go around a road coarse quite as quickly, but for 15-20 year old cars, they CERTAINLY still hold their own.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chadder has a very good point that isn't brought up on these boards often. Having conducted noise passby testing for Nissan during my tenure there, it is a point that most of the general public doesn't take into consideration when a new vehicle is released. Noise passby testing is conducted at wide open throttle and is fairly restrictive. I have had vehicles fail passby for both induction and exhaust noise. More restictive exhaust systems and induction resonators are often the result of failing these tests. Passby testing along with other government mandated tests don't take into account that these are performance vehicles. If you don't pass the tests you can not sell the vehicle. It is all a compromise that the auto makers have to deal with, that the aftermarket does not. I could go on and on this topic, but enough said.

Last edited by TT632; 01-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Reducing back pressure is reducing back pressure, however it is achieved.

W
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Those are LT's NOT a cat back. Big difference.

Also a Supra,300ZX,RX-7 were not in the same class that this car is in now. Aside from the Supra they couldnt even hang with base Vette's. Big difference. Do you really think they put all that money into electronics and computers and put a power robbing cat back on it? Be real.
The Supra/300ZX/RX-7 were all mid 13 second cars from the factory....I think thats fast enough to "hang" with the L98/LT1 Vettes....especially since they won many comparos against the Vette. Also the 300ZX and Supra were selling for $45,000+ in the mid 1990s.....thats equivelant to over $60,000 today. The car has to meet emissions, exhaust sound levels, etc., so yes the stock cat-back is greatly restricting the turbos.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

The old supra, rx7, and 300zx were definitely in the same class as this GTR. Easy. Supras and RX7's were selling more than the modern equivalent of $50,000 back in the early 90's. Sure they don't go around a road coarse quite as quickly, but for 15-20 year old cars, they CERTAINLY still hold their own.
Some Supra/300ZX TTs sold for nearly $50,000 over 15 years ago....thats easily $60,000+ today. Back in the day they were putting the hurt on the L98 C4s and a great match for the LT1 C4 performance wise....though their quality and aftermarket potential far exceeded the Vette.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Pics of Sunline Racings R35 and the coil over kit they are working on:

Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Sweet car I just feel it is ugly.

W

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR Makes 500AWHP with just a Cat-back.