Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Ok guys....

Even though I think the above videos with a stocker Z06 running 11.2's should be more than enough to end this thread....

There are advantages to both drivetrains and engines....

Also, despite what people might try to tell you, the LS7 is an advanced engine. It isn't "ultimate gadget status" like the GTR because it is actually meant to go on the track....not just some automatic-having toy for rich kids
No, you're wrong... It's so state of the art it's automatically better, everything from Japan is higher tech and works perfectly.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unit213
Have you ever driven a 12 second car or better?
Fine.
I will answer this cynical & retarded question. (sorry, but it is)

To be honest, the fastest machine Ive ever droven was a 2001 R1 with flattened headers and Micron exhaust. Easy low 10 second bike. Liter bikes are indescribable. They are purely insanity in metal form.

The fastest car I have ever drove was in my 4th semester, got to know a kid named Ryan. Had a modified 04 Cobra...high 11's.

The fastest car I ever owned was a 98 Z28 M6. Had it for about 2 weeks. Got offered alot for it.... needed cash for school.

My LT1 was 4400 cash. (stock, original, 78K)
My hair is blonde.
I like the color green.

Anything else ya wanna know big U?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I will answer this cynical & retarded question. (sorry, but it is)
I asked it because you talk as if you know everything about
everything, yet you have damned near zero experience with
fast cars. You drove a 11 second car once.

While it may have been a cynical & retarded question, it proves
my point. Face the music.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I forgot all about burn also being a member of the I.D.L. (Import Defenders League), while owning/driving a domestic.

I still can't figure out why they all stick with domestic nameplates when they LOVE, ADORE and WORSHIP their precious, perfect, infallible, unbeatable<-- imports soooo much.
Makes NO sense.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Hey don't forget me.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yeah, I forgot all about burn also being a member of the I.D.L. (Import Defenders League), while owning/driving a domestic.

I still can't figure out why they all stick with domestic nameplates when they LOVE, ADORE and WORSHIP their precious, perfect, infallible, unbeatable<-- imports soooo much.
Makes NO sense.
It's because they can't afford the repair costs.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
^ Hey don't forget me.
Nah.

You're at least somewhat neutral, and you defend domestics a good part of the time.
Also, when you do go to bat for the imports, you do it with intellect and sensible, informed arguements.
Besides, you own BOTH, so I cannot call you out for only owning a domestic, but worshipping (and really wanting) an import.

So sorry, but you do not qualify for the I.D.L.!!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

I asked it because you talk as if you know everything about
everything,
No I don't.... that ridiculous. When do I ever talk like that? Never.
You got offended because I said the GT-R is faster from a dig?
Sounds like it.

yet you have damned near zero experience with
fast cars. You drove a 11 second car once.
That does not prove anything.
My experience on a liter bike and its power make 11 second cars' pretty damn pointless in terms of power and skill.

You talk like fast cars are the test of all true men, and that I need shitloads of 10 second car experience to post about 2 cars 99% of the people on this site haven't drove?
Pretty pathetic for a mod and someone I had out to be a rather cool guy.

Didn't expect this from you.
Continuing on...

While it may have been a cynical & retarded question, it proves
my point. Face the music.
Maybe youre talking in terms of wrenching experience as well?
Or maybe even just going to the track, watching/talking/learning?

I have completely helped rebuild a 10 second 383 LT1.
Had a misfire that let to a piston ring letting go, that led to lower motor problems. It was actually kind of fun to do it. I know how to turn wrenches. Gotta have those books though... some things get tricky.

My father owns a corvette, my brother a 20th Ann Iroc-Z.
I have been around fast cars all my life.

We own a 2 stroke shop on the side here and work on toys alot...banshee's, sleds, my quadzilla.
We have a ZR 900 that would probably make short work of your Cobra on the 1/4.
Just because I don't track my car once a month or have a 10 second car, does not mean I don't have experience with fast, and some dude on the internet with a pumped up 3800lb boat lecturing me about my experience is comical considering, once again we are talking about two cars 99% of the people who participate in this thread will never drive.
Also, I am not the only 13 second car owner on LS1tech.

Like that music?
Got any more intelligent questions oh mighty smiter?

Last edited by burnzilla; 04-05-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^^

You really want to challenge Pissy Chrissy & RedBeauty84ZX for the outright #1 import fanboy/defender title on here, right??
You just moved up into the #1 spot for import fanboyzz that currently own a domestic.
It was a hard fought battle between yourself and Stopsign 32V, I Run Elevens, etc. but you prevailed!!

ALL hail COD!!!
It's not even like that. I'm not a diehard import lover but just a select lover of certain cars. One car in particular is the GTR. It has certain better quality's then the corvette does but on the other side of the coin the corvette also has some better then the GTR.

As i get older i get more attracted to cars that are fast but that also offer awesome build quality. I LOVE the corvette and as close as i have come to pulling the trigger on a base LS3 vette.... every time after the test drive many doubts went through my mind. I want quality, I want speed and i want comfort.. The vette provided two of the three. You can guess what it was lacking.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by COD02SS
It's not even like that. I'm not a diehard import lover but just a select lover of certain cars. One car in particular is the GTR. It has certain better quality's then the corvette does but on the other side of the coin the corvette also has some better then the GTR.

As i get older i get more attracted to cars that are fast but that also offer awesome build quality. I LOVE the corvette and as close as i have come to pulling the trigger on a base LS3 vette.... every time after the test drive many doubts went through my mind. I want quality, I want speed and i want comfort.. The vette provided two of the three. You can guess what it was lacking.
If you think a Nissan is better quality than a Vette, you must not have alot of experience with Nissan. I certainly am not a Corvette expert (aside from the motor, of course), but I know my Nissans thanks to the multitude of work i've been forced to do on them. I'll tell you from first hand experience, there's no comparison. The Vette is far more reliable and well built than your standard Nissan product.

Now I would HOPE that an $85k Nissan is going to be a bit higher in quality than the sub $40k ones i'm used to, but I can't say for sure.

Even JD Power ranks Nissan lower than ANY GM brand...they were somewhere around 30th out of 37 makes, while GM's worst was around 24th in 2006. Not that I put alot of stock in JDP and CR style studies...but they do say SOMETHING.

Last edited by Blakbird24; 04-05-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That 11.2 wasnt even Rangers best 100% stock:
http://rangeracceleration.com/06_Z06_Stk_Tires.html
I would love to see someone do a 11.1 in a new GTR, hard to do with only a 118- low 120 mph trap speed. Z06 > GTR, 1/4 mile

As for a road course, sure the GTR might test better (stopping/ turning) but that 7+ mph better trap is HARD to overcome, the GTR doesnt out handle/brake a Z06 enough. Besides, road courses arent just one big turn, they have straight aways too where the Z will own.

The only place a GTR will hold ground is on the street from a dead stop, and thats only if the race is a short one. How often these days do people race from a dead stop? Im 20 yrs old, have driven an ls1 since my 16th birthday and ive NEVER raced from a dead stop (on the street). Again that 7+mph will conquer from a dig on the street.

As for any other arguements, the ZR1 will be here soon enough .
Old 04-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
If you think a Nissan is better quality than a Vette, you must not have alot of experience with Nissan. I certainly am not a Corvette expert (aside from the motor, of course), but am know my Nissans thanks to the multitude of work i've been forced to do on them. I'll tell you from first hand experience, there's no comparison. The Vette is far more reliable and well built than your standard Nissan product.

Now I would HOPE that an $85k Nissan is going to be a bit higher in quality than the sub $40k ones i'm used to, but I can't say for sure.

Even JD Power ranks Nissan lower than ANY GM brand...they were somewhere around 30th out of 37 makes, while GM's worst was around 24th in 2006. Not that I put alot of stock in JDP and CR style studies...but they do say SOMETHING.
I was talking build quality of the corvette against bmw and MB's.. Not nissan's. Although.. I do like Infiniti's quality very much.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, I think Brunzilla is about to take COD's crown w/ a trip to Band Camp.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Restricted User

I was talking build quality of the corvette against bmw and MB's.. Not nissan's. Although.. I do like Infiniti's quality very much.
Agreed with BMW...but then that's why you pay twice as much. Not so much with MB though...they appear nice, yes, but real quality is definitely not their strongpoint either. It's funny actually how the truth differs from perception...People all think that Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, BMW, MB, Land Rover, and Jaguar are top quality vehicles just because they appear well put together. In reality...it's Lexus, Cadillac, Buick, BMW, and Toyota that are actually tops in quality...Nissan, Infiniti, MB, Land Rover and Jaguar are near the bottom of the list.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stoverz28
For what exactly?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Orly?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

That 11.2 wasnt even Rangers best 100% stock:
http://rangeracceleration.com/06_Z06_Stk_Tires.html
I would love to see someone do a 11.1 in a new GTR, hard to do with only a 118- low 120 mph trap speed. Z06 > GTR, 1/4 mile
Truth... Whoever disputes this is a Nissan fanboy.

As for a road course, sure the GTR might test better (stopping/ turning) but that 7+ mph better trap is HARD to overcome, the GTR doesnt out handle/brake a Z06 enough. Besides, road courses arent just one big turn, they have straight aways too where the Z will own.
Hmmm... All track testing performed thus far indicates otherwise... The Nurburgring has some LONG straights, two in fact that will top out these cars and then some... And this still was not enough for the Z06 to catch up to the GTR.

The only place a GTR will hold ground is on the street from a dead stop, and thats only if the race is a short one. How often these days do people race from a dead stop? Im 20 yrs old, have driven an ls1 since my 16th birthday and ive NEVER raced from a dead stop (on the street). Again that 7+mph will conquer from a dig on the street.

As for any other arguements, the ZR1 will be here soon enough .
Yup... And the ZR1 will ******* annihilate it.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - Just wait till we see what it will do with a tune and some more boost.
wow so your admitting that its not going to win unless you tweak it and that stock isnt good enough.

im going to get into this little arguement. to me it doesnt really matter about the acceleration it matters about who crosses the line first to win and that would be the z06. that .2 seconds faster 0-60 will just get into yall's already fat heads and just slow you down. but thats just my opinion
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

^ ... Will cross the finish line first in a straight line, what neither car was designed for.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
If you think a Nissan is better quality than a Vette, you must not have alot of experience with Nissan.
From personal experience at comparable costs Nissan cars are MUCH better quality then a comparable GM product. Sure a $20,000 Sentra isnt going to be up to the quality of a $50,000 Corvette. Same goes if you compare a $13,000 Chevrolet Aveo to a $32,000 Nissan Maxima. But in general GM quality is and always has been well below the industry average.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...