Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Diff install

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff install

I just ordered my full hendrix axles and 07 diff and I did a search onthe removal and install procedure but was only able to come up with one that says photobucket erased images and the description relies on these images. I also used Alldata but came up quite shorT on a procedure for diff removal. I can turn a wrench and think I go a plan but don't wanna get stuck fo too long or remov too much unneccessary stuff. So if anyone has done what I'm about to do some tips or steps woul b greatly appreciated
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive never done it personally but i plan to upgrade my 04/05 diff to an 06/07 soon. How much did the 07 diff cost you?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

16 hundred something before shipping from luke at lindsay cadillac and a little more than that for hendrix axles
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn! Not an expense im looking forward too!

Wonder how much i can sell both these 04/05 diffs for? Nothing wrong with them... just want to upgrade before anything is wrong with them... lol

Dont see why i couldnt sell em for $700 each on craigs. Im sure people that bust their rears and need a quick replacement and dont have the $1600 would scoop them up for that. Then i would just have to pay the difference for a brand new 07 diff...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

yea i wasnt either lol but bye bye tax return
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Dude, i feel ur pain! lol
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing? No tips, pointers, experienced advice, special tools, things to watch for?? Lol cuz if that's the case I'll b proud to b a guinea pig diy'er and take some pics n post the process when I'm done but I only get nights to do this so could b a bit. (especially if I dnt bring te right tools home or catch a snag or two)
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

All you need are general hand tools to be honest. I would have a set of ratcheting box end wrenches too, they seem to make every job on this car easier.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

How weak are the '04-'05 setups..I don't plan to mod mine..prob a Cat-back and that's it..
Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Mods don't seem to matter. Mines bone stock 65K miles.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Looking through the service manual. Seems pretty straight forward. shouldnt be a problem for you.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks does it mention seperating ball joints, removing hubs, or droppin the springs? Cuz from the looms of it I was thinkin all that's gotta go.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing i noticed that may be of use is the axle replacement procedure.

The seal protector isnt required but useful as a precautionary measure to prevent damage to the ouput shaft seal. I'm not sure what type of material it is made out of but, im sure if your careful when removing the old and installing the new axle... there shouldnt be a problem.

Oh and as someone has already found out the hard way... ensure to following the bold...

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement
Tools Required
J 44394 Seal Protector

Removal Procedure
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Important
The wheel drive shaft spindle nut must not be reused. Replace the wheel drive shaft spindle nut with a new nut whenever it is removed.

Insert a drift or punch into the brake rotor and against the caliper in order to prevent the wheel hub and bearing from turning.
Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft spindle nut.
Remove the drift or punch from the rotor.
Remove the rear knuckle assembly. Refer to Knuckle Replacement in Rear Suspension.

Using a suitable tool, carefully release the wheel drive shaft from the rear differential enough to install the J 44394 .

Notice
J-44394 must be installed into the differential output shaft seal prior to removing and installing the wheel drive shaft. Failure to install J-44394 as indicated may cause the splines of the wheel drive shaft to cut the differential output seal.

Carefully install the J 44394 over the wheel drive shaft.
Carefully slide the J 44394 into the differential output shaft seal.
Remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle.
If reusing the wheel drive shaft remove and discard the wheel drive shaft retaining ring. The wheel drive shaft retaining ring is on the splined shaft of the cross groove joint.
Installation Procedure
Install the new wheel drive shaft retaining ring. The wheel drive shaft retaining ring is on the splined shaft of the cross groove joint.

Notice
J-44394 must be installed into the differential output shaft seal prior to removing and installing the wheel drive shaft. Failure to install J-44394 as indicated may cause the splines of the wheel drive shaft to cut the differential output seal.

If previously removed carefully install J 44394 into the differential output shaft seal.

Important
In order to prevent lubricant leaks, use care when installing the wheel drive shaft to the differential. Do not damage the oil seal. Replace the oil seal if it becomes nicked, distorted, or is otherwise damaged.

Carefully install the wheel drive shaft into the differential until the splines are past the J 44394 . Ensure that the retaining ring is installed in the upright position.

Carefully remove the J 44394 from the differential output shaft seal.

Carefully remove J 44394 from the wheel drive shaft.
Carefully install the wheel drive shaft into the differential until the retaining ring is engaged.
Ensure the wheel drive shaft retaining ring is fully engaged to the differential by grasping the inner housing and pulling outward. The wheel drive shaft will stay positively engaged if properly installed to the differential.

Install the rear knuckle. Refer to Knuckle Replacement in Rear Suspension.

Important
Ensure that the drive shaft seals do not have any abrasions, cuts or punctures.

Loosely install the NEW wheel drive shaft spindle nut.
Insert a drift or punch into the brake rotor and against the caliper in order to prevent the wheel hub and bearing from turning.

Use the New wheel drive shaft spindle nut to slowly pull the spindle to the wheel hub and bearing assembly. Tighten
Tighten the wheel drive shaft spindle nut to 160 N·m (118 lb ft).

Remove the drift or punch from the rotor.
Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Inspect the differential lubricant level. Refer to Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle in Rear Drive Axle.
Lower the vehicle.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Im going to have to bookmark this thread for my own use a little later.

How weak are the 04/05's?

My 04 rear diff isnt giving me any issues as of yet and im assuming as long as i dont dump the clutch at 4k from a dead stop, it should hold up for awhile right?

When i do get on it in this car, im usually always already in 2nd gear rolling 20+ mph...
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '04/'05 diffs are definitely inferior to the '06/'07. Either way, the axle upgrade is the way to go to insure longevity.

CTSV 154 on the caddy forum (RAV 154 here ?) might want your used diff.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Im going to have to bookmark this thread for my own use a little later.

How weak are the 04/05's?

My 04 rear diff isnt giving me any issues as of yet and im assuming as long as i dont dump the clutch at 4k from a dead stop, it should hold up for awhile right?

When i do get on it in this car, im usually always already in 2nd gear rolling 20+ mph...
i cant speak for previous owner, but the diff seemed fine when i bought it last summer, and i've never dumped the clutch at all. did literally one or two 1-2 and 2-3 shifts each, and the rest is history.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
i cant speak for previous owner, but the diff seemed fine when i bought it last summer, and i've never dumped the clutch at all. did literally one or two 1-2 and 2-3 shifts each, and the rest is history.
Dude... that scares me!

How many diff gen's of diffs are there? Which one is the strongest replacement?

If i replace mine, i want to be sure i get the best/strongest one they offer to date. Until they make a moser 12 bolt or a madman rear thats affordable, ill be going with a factory replacment.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

alright got her nice and high on jack stands in the garage and i dropped the exhaust, pulled the tires, and the brakes. i started the allenhead bolt that hold the driveshaft in, but once they were out the shaft didn't seperate from the diff eh well more for next time i quit for today
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Dude... that scares me!

How many diff gen's of diffs are there? Which one is the strongest replacement?

If i replace mine, i want to be sure i get the best/strongest one they offer to date. Until they make a moser 12 bolt or a madman rear thats affordable, ill be going with a factory replacment.
the newest one is the best i guess lol i just called lindsay cad n luke told me that the best replacement with caddy parts is this latest diff
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
the newest one is the best i guess lol i just called lindsay cad n luke told me that the best replacement with caddy parts is this latest diff
Ok, ill have to see what my buddies price on it is at the dealer. He works for cadillac over here so im hoping he can pull some strings!

Quick Reply: Diff install