Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

About to have some wheels and my grilles powdercoated/painted black... INFO NEEDED???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to have some wheels and my grilles powdercoated/painted black... INFO NEEDED???

Like the title says. The car came on some black powdercoated wheels but they had some rash. I bought a new stock set that im about to have done so they are good a fresh and flawless. Ive been wanting to black out my grilles since i bought the car but im not sure which is the best way. I see a lot of people paint them but im told that wont hold up as they are aluminum. Is powdercoating the better way to go on the grilles ove paint?

Also, for the front caddy emblem? On the rear, i have the 3rd brake light smoked but with the little caddy emblem still visible which i LOVE the look of. On the front, im thinking that bigger caddy crest might be a little much for the murdered look. Should i black it out as well? Any ideas??

At the same time, I'll be having the front bumper resprayed to fix the rock chips and the holes where the plate was mounted. I just had a set of fogs cleared by A-bomb that ill be having smoked as well. I just wanted the amber lense gone and the smoked lexan will look MUCH better! Ill be having a light-medium smoke done on the headlights to eliminate that "grey" look since everything on my car will be completely murdered!! All the rear lights, fogs and markers are smoked to the point of looking solid black.

Also, on the brake calipers, leave them grey or paint them gloss black??

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

[ATTACH]About to have some wheels and my grilles powdercoated/painted black... INFO NEEDED???-rim.jpg[/ATTACH]

this is what i did. just an idea
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Don't paint the calipers black! They need to stand out. I was looking at doing the same thing 626 did as pictured above. The red has the highend performance look to them but I still want the V logo on there as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

You can do paint, but it will really need several coats of automotive clear if you want it to hold up. The reason I painted mine over powder coating is because I'm a painter by trade, so It's pretty easy for me to touch mine up, and it's free. You can't powder coat the plastic pieces anyways(everything but the mesh basically). So I figured **** it I already had it off, mine as well get a coat on it.

As for the emblem, I'm quoting another tech member on this, but it looks like a jewel on the front of the car. Suites it well IMO.

I haven't seen a set of black calipers yet, but I'm sure it would look sick also.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Teching In

i just painted my calipers black and put a red v logo on it. the calipers didnt stand out too much because they are black, but the v logo on the calipers still make it noticeable enough this is exactly what I wanted. I will post pictures later in the day.

I also powdercoated my grills, because they will hold up much better than paint. I also left the both front and rear caddy emblems chrome so you can see what it looks like when I post the pics
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would leave the Caddy Crest on the front grill alone but blacken everything else. thats just imo.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

^yea that

and black calipers with red logos or just leave them. not a fan of red calipers
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont mess with the calipers, they look best in stock form. Plus if they start peeling or chipping down the road you wont be like damn, why did i even mess with them.

powdercoat the grille and leave the crest the way it is. people gotta know when they get yanked by a cadillac lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do the calipers gold and brembo in black on them. i would powdercoat the mesh black but leave the caddy emblem and the chrome trim.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the help guys! I have decided to keep the caddy crests both front and rear. I like people knowing what it is. As far as paint or powdercoat, i think im going to see if powdercoat can be done and if so, ill do the grilles at the same time as my wheels. I drive a lot so i need something that will hold up but worst case scenario, i can paint them and just touch them up as needed.

As far as the calipers, im liking the red a little more after searching some pics. Gives it that high priced brembo/baer look IMO. But... I think black with red V logo might looks pretty SICK too! Id like to see pics!! I like stock but i kind of want to be different...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

defintly powdercoat the grilles, paint wont hold up and wont look as good! ill give you the number for the guy i had powdercoat my grill. Hes local ( lives right by you parents house. ) he only charged me 50 bucks.

I got his number off motohouston. Every body on there uses him so you kno he does good work.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Only bad thing is you can't powdercoat any of the plastic(least thats what my guy said), so you've got to paint all the rest of it.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by D. STUNTER
defintly powdercoat the grilles, paint wont hold up and wont look as good! ill give you the number for the guy i had powdercoat my grill. Hes local ( lives right by you parents house. ) he only charged me 50 bucks.

I got his number off motohouston. Every body on there uses him so you kno he does good work.
D.! You pick a new ride yet or what? And yeah, i think your talking about scootertrash down the street from Nate's parents place over in heritage park. I know he does good work on smaller parts as i've had him powdercoat stuff for my bikes but if thats who coated ralph's V wheels, i don't want him to do mine cause his turned out like garbage. Ill have to ask if he did Ralph's when i go over there. If so, ill go somewhere else... lol

But... i'm doubting he did them because everything he has done for me was top notch at a GREAT price and he's right around the corner!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Only bad thing is you can't powdercoat any of the plastic(least thats what my guy said), so you've got to paint all the rest of it.
Hmm... Ill have to ask. If i cant coat the plastic, should i paint the whole thing? I just don't want it to be off in contrast due to the paint/powdercoat difference...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

sorry for the delay in the posting of these pics... i just finished everything up last week...

I would def powder coat your wheels because they will hold up much longer than paint. Also, the trim around the grills is plastic so those will need to be painted, this means you may get rock chips and may have to deal with touching it up in the future... but the look is worth it in my opinion...

If you do decide to do the lights, have a body shop paint/clear them and they will be as smooth as glass.... just be careful he doesnt bake the center brake light, because now mine isnt working for some reason... could be just a coincidence of timing but just to be safe...

And for the calipers, I would def paint them. To powdercoat you would have to replace all the seals etc. I actually painted them myself black with red v logo, and I'm really happy the way they came out. Dont be afraid of them peeling or what not, the paint is made to withstand heat up to like 970 degrees, just make sure you buy VHT caliper paint, and VHT caliper clear... so far with some spirited driving i haven't had any problems. If you run into peeling down the road, the process really isnt that hard if you ever have to re-do a caliper... only some down time to let the stuff dry...

Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
D.! You pick a new ride yet or what? And yeah, i think your talking about scootertrash down the street from Nate's parents place over in heritage park. I know he does good work on smaller parts as i've had him powdercoat stuff for my bikes but if thats who coated ralph's V wheels, i don't want him to do mine cause his turned out like garbage. Ill have to ask if he did Ralph's when i go over there. If so, ill go somewhere else... lol

But... i'm doubting he did them because everything he has done for me was top notch at a GREAT price and he's right around the corner!
Yea....a V! I'm pretty set on them I've got the itch I guess! I'm guna try to find a 6.0 black with blck interior . But there so rare if I come across something else first at a good price I might be gettin something diffrent.

And I doubt he powder coated them. They looked so shitty they almost looked painted. He's about to do my neighrbors 2010 ss wheels so I hope he does good work cause I refrred him! Lol all I had done was my grill.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nickr28784
sorry for the delay in the posting of these pics... i just finished everything up last week...

I would def powder coat your wheels because they will hold up much longer than paint. Also, the trim around the grills is plastic so those will need to be painted, this means you may get rock chips and may have to deal with touching it up in the future... but the look is worth it in my opinion...

If you do decide to do the lights, have a body shop paint/clear them and they will be as smooth as glass.... just be careful he doesnt bake the center brake light, because now mine isnt working for some reason... could be just a coincidence of timing but just to be safe...

And for the calipers, I would def paint them. To powdercoat you would have to replace all the seals etc. I actually painted them myself black with red v logo, and I'm really happy the way they came out. Dont be afraid of them peeling or what not, the paint is made to withstand heat up to like 970 degrees, just make sure you buy VHT caliper paint, and VHT caliper clear... so far with some spirited driving i haven't had any problems. If you run into peeling down the road, the process really isnt that hard if you ever have to re-do a caliper... only some down time to let the stuff dry...

Stunning car man. Great work.

LAW
Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nickr28784

WOW!!! Love the way that car looks man! Im going to do mine the exact same way. Only thing i might go is black calipers with silver V logo. I think that might look pretty cool.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by D. STUNTER
Yea....a V! I'm pretty set on them I've got the itch I guess! I'm guna try to find a 6.0 black with blck interior . But there so rare if I come across something else first at a good price I might be gettin something diffrent.

And I doubt he powder coated them. They looked so shitty they almost looked painted. He's about to do my neighrbors 2010 ss wheels so I hope he does good work cause I refrred him! Lol all I had done was my grill.
Yeah man, good luck. Black/black is hard to find it seems. When i found mine, after looking into what it would cost to do an interior swap ($800 or less), i wasnt worried about it. Ill do it later if i still want to. Mine is growing on me.

Quick Reply: About to have some wheels and my grilles powdercoated/painted black... INFO NEEDED???