Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

13.39 @ 106mph 2005 V

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 13.39 @ 106mph 2005 V

2.06 60 ft. Not bad for first time down the track. Would have went faster without the wheel hop at top of first and bottom of second.

Put the car in competition mode each time but for some reason the wheel hop on the one-two shift was causing the car to just stop accelerating completely for almost a full second. Anyone know what this is? I thought comp mode turned off all the safety stuff??

Without the car dying at the bottom of second it would have went an easy 13.0.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Competition mode just gives you a little more freedom. It shouldn't bog you down though as the TC is off. The only way to turn everything off is to hold the button down for 7 or 8 seconds.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Competition mode just gives you a little more freedom. It shouldn't bog you down though as the TC is off. The only way to turn everything off is to hold the button down for 7 or 8 seconds.
That has to be it as there was still definetly something killing the power when it sensed the wheel hop or the car kicking sideways. What a nooob I am. The car nosed over for almost a full second before kicking back in. Woulda had a killer time to post in the heat too!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Ah, if the car kicked sideways then that is why it went down. Competition mode will let it swing a little more than normal but that is it.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Thats an awesome time! what were your launching techniques?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28dogg
Thats an awesome time! what were your launching techniques?
The only way to keep it from wheel hoping off the line was a revving 2000-3500 clutch slip. Dumping the clutch was just a waste.

Tire prep was 25 psi, no burnout.
Scary to think what it would do with an axle, drag radial and tune.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The lag your feeling was most likely 'Powerhop' protection. It senses the torque reversal and pulls timing and fuel in an attempt to save the differential. You can't turn it off without a tune.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 347fairless
The only way to keep it from wheel hoping off the line was a revving 2000-3500 clutch slip. Dumping the clutch was just a waste.

Tire prep was 25 psi, no burnout.
Scary to think what it would do with an axle, drag radial and tune.
Good track time. But...I gotta say it...

Your diff's days are numbered if you are track launching and hopping the diff so hard that you lose forward momentum (due to computer pulling timing, etc.). If you plan to go to the strip again (I mean, even once) you need to get the $550 GForce axles. They completely eliminated wheelhop for me.

These cars are not drag cars, which you will find out very soon if you continue running hard at the track without some precautions. It would be very embarrassing to have to get towed off the track on a flatbed...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you notice if the "stability control" message showed on the radio screen? Competitive Driving Mode turns off T/C but stab control is still partially active. In order to fully turn everything off, you need to hold down T/C button for 5 seconds and goes into another mode (forgot the name). May not be the problem though, as the Stab. Control seems to only kick on if you start spinning the rear around a corner (fishtail), for instance. I'm not sure if there's a "diff safeguard" as mentioned above, but if there is, may or may not be a good thing...
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I've had the stability system kick in on 3rd and 4th gear shifts down the track due to wheel hop/car getting sideways. I hardly felt the car lose throttle response though. I remember making a pass with TC on and that's when I felt the throttle bog down.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

It's in the programming. When it activates, there will not be a message on the screen either. It kinda makes you think something is wrong until the power kicks back in.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Nice Time!

I see you're from the Philly area.

Where did you race, Atco, E-Town, Cecil?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
It's in the programming. When it activates, there will not be a message on the screen either. It kinda makes you think something is wrong until the power kicks back in.
Winner winner chicken dinner. Nothing came on the Nav screen. Thought it was like fuel cut back in the DSM days. Just keep my foot floored and its like someone connected the battery cable and the car took off. Cost me alot of forward momentum. Again, this was as soon as I hit second without /ever lifting off gas. Never did this on street before so I was like WTF.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tweeter81

These cars are not drag cars,
everytime i see you post this the V crowd takes a good step backwards. let people do what ever they want with their own vehicles without you saying what they should or should not do with it.

to the op, good time. gets you thinking what the car would run with a decent 60'
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
everytime i see you post this the V crowd takes a good step backwards. let people do what ever they want with their own vehicles without you saying what they should or should not do with it.

to the op, good time. gets you thinking what the car would run with a decent 60'
Listen, brother. I disagree with your first sentence and furthermore, I don't post these sentiments solely to **** you off. In fact, I don't really give a **** if you like my posts or not. Here is another thought I just had. Does me posting that these cars aren't really suited for drag racing really set the V community back more than say...a guy taking his stock V to the drag strip, hopping the **** out of it, breaking the diff on the track, somebody in the crowd has video of the debacle ("Here we go again, another CTS-V broke on the track, haha"), and posts it on Youtube for the world to see?

I merely thought to give the OP some helpful advice, since I have never seen him post before and thought that maybe he is new to the V world and doesn't know of the problems that a lot of V owners (who drive the car in a way that is known to cause many failures) have. He can choose for himself to take my advice, or not.

I'm not sure what I have done to you to make you always pissed at everything I post, but just relax. You only take my posts as negative, when in reality that is the opposite of what I mean by them.

Last edited by tweeter81; 08-17-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
Nice Time!

I see you're from the Philly area.

Where did you race, Atco, E-Town, Cecil?
Maple Grove. I am near pottstown.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by liqidvenom

Yes, I am thinking the 2.0 was pretty lucky considering how little prep i could do before the launch. Not loosing all my low end grunt at the bottowm of second had to be almost 2 tenths. Been drag racing over 10 years I am pretty decent at predicting times.

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Good track time. But...I gotta say it...

Your diff's days are numbered if you are track launching and hopping the diff so hard that you lose forward momentum (due to computer pulling timing, etc.). If you plan to go to the strip again (I mean, even once) you need to get the $550 GForce axles. They completely eliminated wheelhop for me.

These cars are not drag cars, which you will find out very soon if you continue running hard at the track without some precautions. It would be very embarrassing to have to get towed off the track on a flatbed...
I agree, it would be a waste to go back in the current state leaving so much on the table.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Nice times, it's hot out lol.