Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need Help with LSA Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with LSA Catch Can

ask but I could use some help with my 09 Cts-v catch can. I would love to do the dual set-up. Right now I have a catch can but it is not catching anything. I read through the 18 pages of posts in this thread,but I am confused.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ting-ok-8.html

1.) My valve covers have a Vent tube on the front passenger side valve cover:
It is the one without the white fastner

2.) I have a vent tube on the driver side rear valve cover

3.) These tubes originally camt together at a "T" fitting and then a single hose ran to the cai tube.

I have since connected a catch can at the point where the 2 valve cover hoses connected, just after the T fitting. Essentially put a CC in line. It however, does not seem to catch much at all.

This pick shows the valley tray (I believe) However it is essentially a 90 degree that connects right above another. The two connections are stacked.

4.) Then I have this plastic tube that connects to the top of my intake...and travels around the passenger valve cover to the rear and disappears.
I do not know what that is...

This is a pic from the driver side showing where the hose that wraps around the passenger side goes... Kinda a mystery.
It is the tube with the white fastener

So can anyone help me figure out the way to set up a dual catch can with the pics provided. If a dual CC is not possible, I would be happy with a single one that works.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know the LSA. But if the tube you put it in goes to the air intake tube/CAI, then that is the fresh air line where air goes into the crankcase, not out of it. That of course will not be oily.

You need to put it in a line that runs into the vacuum side of the intake manifold. That's where there will be oil in the air.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

I've seen dual cans used for LS7 and LS9 engines, the second can is used to make sure the dry sump tank doesn't burp oil into the intake after the MAF (reversion). I don't think you need dual cans for the LSA. there's more going on with the LSA PCV system then most LS engines, seems there is an electronically controlled line in addition to the normal ones. That being said, I think the line you want to connect the CC into is the one going to the valley cover.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, this is starting to make sense now.

So if this is the case, I assume the valley cover port tube should go into the top or inlet port of the cc and the bottom or outlet port of the catch can should go directly to the port just above the valley cover port?

Here is a pic of the engine torn down a little. I circled the 2 valve cover ports and the valley port.

If I am correct I should install the CC like below

Last edited by cbloveday; 02-25-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

I did the re-route today.

Getting a good deal of pressure on the line into the can.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the lines should have vacuum in them, not pressure.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

What I did is I connected the valley port to the top of the can and the intake to the side.

If this is not correct, please advise. I thought I did this correctly.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

The diagram above is how I have my catch can routed, only difference is because I'm turbo charged I have a one way check valve instead of the PCV valve. I know the stock PCV valve is a check valve of sorts, but I didn't trust it to hold 10+ psi of manifold pressure. With your supercharger setup the PCV valve will never see boost, since its before the rotors, I would just run the stock PCV valve in line.

If you want to be 110% sure you never get any oil in the intake/supercharger, run a second non vented catch can in the line from the valve cover breather to the intake bellows. (the green line in the diagram above) But It is my understanding that running a single catch can from the valley cover to the intake will solve the majority of LS motors intake oiling issues.

It sounds like originally you ran the catch can in line from the Valve covers to the Bellows, which will only collect a tiny amount of oil and is probably why your can was dry.

I'm running a single can like the diagram above with breathers on the valve cover ports and I get no oil in the intake. But I do get a very faint oil/gas smell from running the breathers on the valve covers.

4.) Then I have this plastic tube that connects to the top of my intake...and travels around the passenger valve cover to the rear and disappears.
I do not know what that is...

I'm almost positive that is your evap solenoid line, It should go back to the fuel tank. It will run parallel with the fuel pressure line. Don't mess with it, it is NOT part of the PCV system. However, some guys use that line as a return fuel line for a return style system, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Good to see some more V2 guys moving over to Tech, I'm not a fan of caddyforums.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Gulf and others. I appreciate the help and comments.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your picture looks right to me. Though like I said, I don't have an LSA. It is odd you say it has pressure in the line, though. How are you determining that?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

If I squeeze the line which goes from the valley cover port to the inlet of the CC while the car is running, it is very firm.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

GM should do this on ALL their cars. Looks good!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know what? That sort of makes sense. Your can is before the PCV valve. Is the hose past the PCV valve under vacuum instead?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by aurora40
You know what? That sort of makes sense. Your can is before the PCV valve. Is the hose past the PCV valve under vacuum instead?
One is firm and the other is not. More than likely it is under vacum.

All I did was cut the line between valley port and the port directly above it which was connected by a flexible tube about 5 inches long. If there are PCV valves on the oem Connectors, you may be correct.

I will check that this evening.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Getting a yellowish white substance collecting in catch can. Apparently the sytstem routing is working fine. I will post up after 500 miles or so.

Last edited by cbloveday; 02-25-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Get that thing hot and burn off some of that condensation!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

I have been searching to find out why I am collecting the yellowish latte while others collect black colored oil.

I hope it is just condensation and a little oil mix.

Should I be concerned. Anyone have an explanation?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

I spoke to the supplier of the CATCH CAN and was advised this is normal. Cold weather and highway driving etc. Once warms up and the take the car to the track the "gross stuff you collect will darken".
Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think it is a problem, that is what oil looks like with condensation mixed in before its burned off.

I haven't seen much of this stuff on V2's or even V1's but lots of other cadillacs that dont get driven long enough to burn off this stuff have it.

Glad it is working!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Teching In

i have an 09 V with a built motor by LME which doesn't actually seem to have a valley port,,
is that an issue?

Quick Reply: Need Help with LSA Catch Can