Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V Tranny Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 05:58 AM
DC
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V Tranny Noise?

I am about to pull the trigger on a V but after several test-drives at fairly low rpms I noticed a "clunk" noise from down under (U Joint?) I also heard some noise from the front . . .. Like a low pitch wobble . . .maybe bushings dunno. . I told the dealer and the tech said he had owned plenty of vets and that is normal and to be expected . . . "a car with that much power needs a heavy duty transmission son" . . .he looked at me like I was nuts when I told him it was not that much power and I thought it was the same T56 I had owned in 5 F-bodies and never had that problem (not sure about that but I was pissed) stuff like that will drive me crazy . . .I will trade an SRX (second first had PCM problems) and buy a back up cruise and hope to have my SS done by the spring (SS is big fund raiser project) . . . .I have a chance to do this now and may not later this year but I may have to pass . . . .

Anyone who has a V had any problems????

Thanks

DC
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is it actually making a clunking noise or does it kind of make a thud every once and a while while driving, I've driven a few, and I think its got to be bushings or something, one of them was worse than the other though.......
Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
DC
Staging Lane

Thanks for the post BigBos . . .I took it out again and it was a thud and not a clunk . . .the wobble noise happens in and out of gear and mostly over uneven road surface . . .I would guess bushings also . . .car has 50 miles of which I have put 35 on myself on 4 different test drives . . .I really do like the car for the most part but the way I move in and out of iron I need to be sure . . .I can live with a thud but not a high and low pitched wobble noise I will go crazy . . .Had the headguy in Service take it out nad he had no clue . . .said they would put it on a lift and check the bushings which I would guess are poly but I dunno . . .

Thanks again BigBos . . .

DC
Old 03-03-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

The SRX's driveline acts a similar way, most of the major magazines that tested them pointed it out, its not thats its sloppy, but you can feel the shifter move in your hand going over certain road surfaces, almost like its unstable.....
Old 03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
DC
Staging Lane

BigBoss:

I have a SRX now and it is a good combo cruise if you have kids . . .have you heard of any blowers avail for the Northstar? Right now I am leaning towards the V (if they resolve the noise issue) but i will need a Tahblow or burb for the kids as a back up should my wifes van go down . . .that means I take pipe and trade the 04 SRX for the V. I live on the east coast near Philly so I will not drive the SS or the V much in the winter. I would like to keep it a GM line up but I did take the 04 Hemi Dango out and it was tight . . .If I get the V I am sure I will have to mod it!

Thanks

DC

And you are right on my V8 SRX I do get trans backlash every once and a while but for the most part it is butter smooth
Old 03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, the SRX is a great car, maybe keep it this year and see what Cadillac has to offer in 05 for the V-series CTS......I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure it will be a HP increase.......

The Hemi's are nice, but not what you want to deal with, crappy trans, and the power ratings aren't true to what they are from what I've seen w/dyno #'s, I got a chance to drive an 03 Hemi pickup w/a body kit, loved the truck can't compare it to a caddy though...
Old 03-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Default CTS-V clunk at low speeds

[QUOTE=DC]I am about to pull the trigger on a V but after several test-drives at fairly low rpms I noticed a "clunk" noise from down under (U Joint?) I also heard some noise from the front . . .. Like a low pitch wobble . . .maybe bushings dunno. . I told the dealer and the tech said he had owned plenty of vets and that is normal and to be expected . . . "a car with that much power needs a heavy duty transmission son" . . .he looked at me like I was nuts when I told him it was not that much power and I thought it was the same T56 I had owned in 5 F-bodies and never had that problem (not sure about that but I was pissed) stuff like that will drive me crazy . . .I will trade an SRX (second first had PCM problems) and buy a back up cruise and hope to have my SS done by the spring (SS is big fund raiser project) . . . .I have a chance to do this now and may not later this year but I may have to pass . . . .

Anyone who has a V had any problems????

I purchased a V last month and noticed the clunk when shifting at low speed during my test drive. My V was ordered and I hesitated taking it until I drove another V that was in the dealer's showroom. It made the same noise, and after talking to Caddy mechanics and reviewing bulletins that apply to the Corvette discussing a similiar clunk, I took delivery.

I live in the Northeast and the weather has prevented me from driving the car until the roads improve.

The test drive was a trip even though I had to limit the rev's.

Good luck

MA
Old 03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
DC
Staging Lane

Cobalt

Thanks for the post. I am still on the fence and I am looking at several other rides but I keep going back to the V. I hope you get to enjoy yours soon.

DC
Old 03-29-2004, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I currently have 3K miles on my V and no problems, the care feels very solid, It actually is amazing how much noise and rough feel they eliminated from the drivetrain compared to a vette.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm at 3,400 very aggressively driven miles with no issues. There is "some" drive line noise but most is eliminated with a slower more deliberated short shift pattern. In other words you can drive it quietly when you desire but you can also have a beast when you want as well.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:37 AM
DC
Staging Lane

Thanks guys very much for the input and CVP33 thank you again for the answers to the private mail I sent. I am down to the 2004 V, 2004 S4, 2002 XJR with 13k miles . . .I traded the SRX for a Z71 Burb so the kids are covered and I have the SS Vert 427 being finished this month so I was looking for smooooth power for a daily driver . . .my first coupla test drives
with the V bummed me out because of the little noises . . . .I still keep going back to it . . . .I am really stoked on where american iron is headed in the future. If I did not have my M6 SS Vert I would choose the V over all the other cars . . . but I get bored easy and I will try to keep this stable intact for at least a year and my average is 6 months . . . .

Thanks again for the input
DC
Old 03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just get the V..........

We had a customer come in yesterday who bought an SRX with cash, sat in the V, then drove it, and bought it.......

I wish I had the $ to get one, I would buy it in a heart beat......

Quick Reply: CTS-V Tranny Noise?