Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Spare Tire Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:33 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Default Spare Tire Fix

Has anyone ever figured out a spare tire that works? I have read all the threads and BS that goes on and on....The stock wheel wont fit in the trunk properly, the old 18X8 wheel (don't remember the brand) is no longer in production and didn't awalys fit in trunk either. SRX no go. I just tried a chevy uplander 17X7.5, won't clear brakes.

AIIICC, you have invested some time in this. have you come up with anything? There must be something out there....

I been thinking about trying a dodge/mopar 6X114.3 bolt pattern wheel from a durango or something. Could be close enough (chev guys run 5X120mm on a 5X3/4 with no problems) to work for a spare at least. Brake clearance is the big question as we all know. Anyone have any ideas ???
Old 11-27-2011 | 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 225/50 tire on a Mille Miglia wheel, it fits just barely. But the lid is totally flush. You could possibly buy a stocker and have it narrowed, if you weren't concerned about the costs. I've been thinking of doing that with this wheel, you could go down to a 6" wide wheel and still run the 225/50. Or go even narrower if you could find a compact tire.
Old 11-27-2011 | 09:48 AM
Teching In

I have the stock wheel in the trunk and the lid sits up maybe 3/4 of an inch. The lid appears to be about an inch think.

You could get a piece of 1/8" masonite, carpet both sides and you would come very close to having a perfect fit. You could also just put some thin foam on the back side instead of the carpet to keep the lid from scuffing the rim.
Old 11-27-2011 | 10:12 AM
Launching!

^yeah on my V1 I just removed the stupid tub and had a stocker with an original runflat on it in there. Set the rim in upside down on some plastic or something to prevent scratches. My jack tub kit even fit. The lid does stick up a slight bit but it looked close enough to me.
Old 11-27-2011 | 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think finding a spare Mille or stocker cheap is you best bet

Originally Posted by Cadzila
I been thinking about trying a dodge/mopar 6X114.3 bolt pattern wheel from a durango or something. Could be close enough (chev guys run 5X120mm on a 5X3/4 with no problems) to work for a spare at least. Brake clearance is the big question as we all know. Anyone have any ideas ???
wont work bro, wont clear the calipers

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pare-tire.html
Old 11-27-2011 | 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

What's a miglia wheel? Also what stocker you guys talking about and tire size to fit? Aswell as a cts jack? Thanks
Old 11-28-2011 | 03:36 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Originally Posted by aurora40
I have a 225/50 tire on a Mille Miglia wheel, it fits just barely. But the lid is totally flush. You could possibly buy a stocker and have it narrowed, if you weren't concerned about the costs. I've been thinking of doing that with this wheel, you could go down to a 6" wide wheel and still run the 225/50. Or go even narrower if you could find a compact tire.

I'm thinking it would be easier to add an inch to the spare tire well to make it deeper than narrow a stock wheel. Either find a wrecking yard cts and cut the well out an inch deeper than I cut mine out and weld it in. One weld bead that way instead of adding a strip and having to weld twice. I could buy a matching aftermarket 19x8.5 235/40-19 for a spare and it would fit. I still need to look into a 6x114.3 and check.
Old 11-28-2011 | 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, in one case you are hacking up a $20,000 car, in the other a $125 wheel. Also I'd bet the majority of us can't do our own welding, you could still use the car while the wheel was out getting done. But either would do the trick.
Old 11-28-2011 | 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Where are you guys getting this mille miglia wheel? Not on tire rack. What model are you getting as well as specs?
Old 11-29-2011 | 08:19 AM
On The Tree

I'm using a mille with a 225 tire. Fits with room to spare.
An SRX wheel would fit with a spacer.
Old 11-29-2011 | 12:19 PM
Launching!

OEM wheel fits alright if ya ask me. Spare tire well lid sits maybe a half inch above the rest of the trunk floor? Barely noticeable. And that's with a 255-40-18 tire. Of course I rarely use my trunk for anything so having the lid sit a bit higher makes no difference to me.
Old 11-29-2011 | 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
^yeah on my V1 I just removed the stupid tub and had a stocker with an original runflat on it in there. Set the rim in upside down on some plastic or something to prevent scratches. My jack tub kit even fit. The lid does stick up a slight bit but it looked close enough to me.
Exactly what I have done right now. Works just fine.
Old 12-01-2011 | 08:30 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Dammit, started typing up a response and then my browser **** halfway through and I lost it all!

SRX no go. I just tried a chevy uplander 17X7.5, won't clear brakes.
How exactly does it not clear the brakes? I'm sure you can't get the wheel seated all the way so that the mounting face of the wheel is seated against the hub/rotor on the car, but does the barrel of the wheel at least clear the brakes? If so, you could do something like I did with the SRX spare – use a spacer to clear the rotor/caliper.

Doing some math, the 17" SRX wheels are 17x7.5" +51mm, so you could use a 1.25" or 1.5" spacer and it would still fit (for short term use). Not sure if 1.25" or 1.5" would be enough to clear the brakes, but I've never managed to get my hands on an SRX (or Uplander or whatever) 17" wheel to play with.

AIIICC, you have invested some time in this. have you come up with anything? There must be something out there...
Other than fiddling with the SRX spare and bigass spacer, I haven't made any progress. And while the SRX spare and bigass spacer will fit, that stuff is sitting in my garage and a MM wheel with cheap 225/50 tire on it sits in my spare tire well.

Originally Posted by dangrus
I have the stock wheel in the trunk and the lid sits up maybe 3/4 of an inch. The lid appears to be about an inch think.

You could get a piece of 1/8" masonite, carpet both sides and you would come very close to having a perfect fit.
That’s not a bad idea.

Originally Posted by 408Maro
What's a miglia wheel?
There used to be a wheel available through Tire Rack from the company Mille Miglia. It was 18x8”, +38mm offset, 6x115mm bolt pattern. I don’t even know what the model of the wheel was, I just know it was made by MM. When I bought my car used in Aug 2007 it had the MM wheels on it. I believe by that time the wheels had already been discontinued, so the only way to find them now is to find used ones. For instance, I parted out my set last year or earlier this year (kept one for myself to use as a spare, sold the other 3 individually), and occasionally others pop up for sale.

Originally Posted by 408Maro
Also what stocker you guys talking about and tire size to fit?
The stocker is, um, the stocker. A stock wheel, 18x8.5". I found that a 245/45-18 (the stock size) wouldn't even sit all the way on the bottom of the spare tire well because the tire was touching the sides of the well. After massaging the well a bit, I was able to get a stock wheel with a 245/45-18 to sit all the way on the bottom, but the spare tire well cover/lid was sitting up ~3/4" above the rest of the trunk floor. I didn't like that, but others don't seem to mind. And still others apparently own CTS-Vs that were made with a special spare tire well that is deeper and wider so that the stock wheel and tire fits without issue.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 12-01-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2011 | 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Thanks for response on this especially with the offset and all. I'll be on the hunt for a spare and a cts jack
Old 12-02-2011 | 01:04 AM

AAIIIC, The 17 inch uplander alloy wheel that I have would probably clear the V rear brake caliper with a 1.5 inch spacer. About the same as your SRX wheel I would imagine. I didn't bother trying it on the front. The problem with using a spacer, as you are aware of, is if you happen to be alone when you have a flat tire, how do you tighten the lug nuts on the spacer? Broom stick on the brake pedal?
Old 12-02-2011 | 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ebrake?

Lower the tire until it barely grabs the ground?

Brick under the wheel?

Or, what I've done 10 times in the last 72 hours because I was too lazy to take the car off jackstands, hold the wheel with you're right hand, use your knee or foot to brace the tire, and use your left hand to tighten. This, with a torque wrench set at 100 ftlbs.

You don't even need tight torque to get down the road. I went for a spin yesterday and didn't even realize until today that one of my back rim's lugs were only finger tightened. This is what happens when you take your wheels off 4 times in 1 day to adjust the ride height on your car.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Fix