Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pacesetter header install review

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter header install review

So...was putting the headers in last night. Whoever quoted 3.7 hrs should get his nuts chopped off. Maybe if everything comes off smooth as butter. Taking off the damn plug wires even turned out to be a bitch. To those that have not removed them be careful they rip very easily. Use some vise grips to grap the rubber part and use the actual engine block to push off of and they will pop out. do not pull! Next Apparently the header on the drivers side does not even fit without taking the control arm off ( It almost does but almost....) Lastly my biggest problem seems to be the simplest thing. Those little extention pieces that fit over the pipes to connect to the corsa leak like a bitch. Everything is fine except that. I went to a mechanic today and they were saying something like you have to use these spring loaded bolts for that connection rather than the regular bolts. He was saying something like the pipe will wedge itself in over time beause of the spring loaded tension. Seems bs to me but idk I cant weld the fkn thing cause there needs to be some flex. Anyone at all on here had that same leak? Granted the cats are gone my car should still not sound almost like straight pipes lol. Oh and If anyone has q's about the install for that specific header let me know. Most noticeble thing is the damn weight difference WOW. The old manifold weighs at least twice as much must have lost a good 50lbs on the change.

Last edited by kl2onik; 12-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

hahahaha i ended up pulling my motor for a heads cam swap motor mounts etc so pulling the engine made since in my case... but i too broke every wire a few ceramic pieces on the plugs and i mean i BROKE ALL 8 wires boots wires and all... hopefully when i put it all back together it goes smooth... pulling the factory manifolds sucked too... especially when 2 exhaust bolts broke in the stock 243s... hope i have every thing i need
Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
hahahaha i ended up pulling my motor for a heads cam swap motor mounts etc so pulling the engine made since in my case... but i too broke every wire a few ceramic pieces on the plugs and i mean i BROKE ALL 8 wires boots wires and all... hopefully when i put it all back together it goes smooth... pulling the factory manifolds sucked too... especially when 2 exhaust bolts broke in the stock 243s... hope i have every thing i need
Dude I wish I had the luxury of having the block out. I ripped like 3 wires I think...after the first one I was heated and knew I need a new set anyways. The manifolds luckily did not break any bolts for me and unscrewed kinda smooth. I have 60K on mine so they weren't too rusty. However the tight quarters sucks where having the engine out would have been nice but stupid just for headers. Leak or not I'm happy it's done cause I know the leak is a 10 min job vs however many hours it took to do the headers. And I took the plugs out on the drivers side but left them in on the pasenger side cause if you are careful they need not be removed there. Basically Driver side= bitch to do. I also do not know if the uuc mounts would have had any different issues vs. stock.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

I did my motor mounts and headers in 5 hours. There a pita to do but not that bad.
Word of advice climb under your car and zip tie the starter wire just to be safe. The one that's clipped the the left motor mount. Also check the Clarence
By your brake line on the right.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i deff had the same problem with the plug wires.. installing my headers alone on jack stands took me at least 8hrs start to finish.. but that includes piecing together the SW 3in cat back kit too.

Next Apparently the header on the drivers side does not even fit without taking the control arm off ( It almost does but almost....)
whaaahahah.. you had to remove the control arm???? I didnt have to do any of that when i was installing my SW headers..

hope your taking the proper heat insulation precautions. naked headers lead to a big FAIL
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
i deff had the same problem with the plug wires.. installing my headers alone on jack stands took me at least 8hrs start to finish.. but that includes piecing together the SW 3in cat back kit too.

whaaahahah.. you had to remove the control arm???? I didnt have to do any of that when i was installing my SW headers..

hope your taking the proper heat insulation precautions. naked headers lead to a big FAIL
I actually did not wrap the headers because the more I read the more I hear of all the negatives assosiated with it and its a catalyst for holding moisture leading to rust. Mine are ceramic coat...spent a bit more just with that in mind. However Im still not understanding why they fkn leak at the corsa joints. I dont know what the *** to do. Yeah and I mean there was like a half inch to an inch clearance issue. Thats why I had to remove. Each header is a bit dif so yours may have cleared it just fine. Its just it seems regardless of what exhaust system you have the install would be the same at that junction with the corsa. Not understanding how mine are the only ones that leak there.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post a photo of what you are talking about?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 54inches
Can you post a photo of what you are talking about?
good idea lol. i'm working today but I will post it tomorrow when I get some light to take some decent pics.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kl2onik
I actually did not wrap the headers because the more I read the more I hear of all the negatives assosiated with it and its a catalyst for holding moisture leading to rust. Mine are ceramic coat...spent a bit more just with that in mind. However Im still not understanding why they fkn leak at the corsa joints. I dont know what the *** to do. Yeah and I mean there was like a half inch to an inch clearance issue. Thats why I had to remove. Each header is a bit dif so yours may have cleared it just fine. Its just it seems regardless of what exhaust system you have the install would be the same at that junction with the corsa. Not understanding how mine are the only ones that leak there.
If you are referring to the Armor Coat offered from Pacesetter... that stuff is 1/2 useless as its only the outside, a proper ceramic coating will include the inside as well.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
If you are referring to the Armor Coat offered from Pacesetter... that stuff is 1/2 useless as its only the outside, a proper ceramic coating will include the inside as well.
i guess you are right but im not spending 1500 on some headers for a 15000 car thats just plain stupid. If I had the new one a dif story. Plus i dont know if im gonna keep it more than another year. thinking going ls7 zo6 next fall been on my mind since I got the v 4 weeks ago.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 PM

The Corsa system inlet may not be enough like the factory system inlet in all cases. Be sure the outlet surface of the extension is clean and even all the way around. Check for the same thing on the Corsa inlet "receptacle." If both surfaces are clean and not dinged at all, try coating the inlet with an anti-seize compound or Permatex "Ultra Copper."
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

i guess you are right but im not spending 1500 on some headers for a 15000 car thats just plain stupid. If I had the new one a dif story. Plus i dont know if im gonna keep it more than another year. thinking going ls7 zo6 next fall been on my mind since I got the v 4 weeks ago.
Old post, lookin for some header clearance info...... But +1 and F yeah to the 1,500 vs 15,000 comment this guy made.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good idea lol. i'm working today but I will post it tomorrow when I get some light to take some decent pics.
Just a friendly reminder on those photos. lol

Quick Reply: Pacesetter header install review