Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is a muffler delete legal in PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a muffler delete legal in PA

I will be doing a custom exhaust since I need to fit in some cats by the pacesetters. Was wondering If I'd get away with running straight pipes after the cats. This would also allow me to stick to the 3" collector diameter the whole way back compared to the corsa 2.5". I know this would pass emissions but is there a visual inspection that needs to be passed as well? Below is the actual California motor law. But it seems people are all over the place with this with some claiming its legal and others saying it's not. Granted this law is cali and is the strictest, I am wondering how any of the peeps with a muff delete are passing inspection there or anywhere for that matter. I am particularly interested in PA

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system.

It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 (DbA) decibels, when tested under specified conditions.

If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.

Note: The Referee is only authorized to inspect and certify passenger cars and trucks under 6,000 GVWR that have been cited for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151 of the Vehicle Code.

The following steps outline the procedures you'll need to follow to get a certificate of compliance, which shows your vehicle's exhaust noise level is within the applicable standards.

STEP 1

If you feel your vehicle's exhaust system has been modified or has deteriorated so that the noise level exceeds current standards, you should have the exhaust system repaired before proceeding to step 2.

OR

If you have reason to believe that your vehicle's exhaust noise level meets the current standards, proceed directly to step 2.

Note that citations have a court appearance date.]
[Timely action can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.]

STEP 2

Have your vehicle tested at a state Referee Center. To make an appointment, call the Referee Scheduling Center at (800) 622-7733. Have the citation and vehicle registration with you when you call. The Center will tell you any fees that will need to be paid for the test.

STEP 3

The Referee will conduct an exhaust noise level test in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1169, May 1998, to determine if your vehicle's exhaust noise level exceeds the noise standard (95db).

If your vehicle meets the standard, the Referee will give you a "Certificate of Compliance." Take the certificate to the court (See Step 5).

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, the Referee will give you a report that lists the recorded decibel readings. Your vehicle must be repaired to meet the standard of not more than 95 decibels (See Step 4).

STEP 4

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, additional repairs must be made before you can make a second appointment with the Referee Scheduling Center.

STEP 5

Once your vehicle receives a "Certificate of Compliance" from a Referee Center, present the certificate to the court as proof that your vehicle is in compliance with California law.

NOTE: Inspection fees and any necessary repairs are your responsibility. You may also be required to pay a fine and other legal costs when reporting to the court. Also, note that most citations have a deadline. Timely repairs can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

GM warranty would be voided as the car is certified as to the design at the time feds tested the car and removal of muffler in total would change the exhaust backpressure effecting smog devices so violation of EPA.

To prevent permanent ear damage spend $40 for a dbA meter and see what the noise levels are inside and outside the car.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PA's law, which is a lot more relevant to whether something is legal in PA:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap157toc.html
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just know, here in NYC, you pay some spanish guy $70, and you can get away with murder on inspection.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A thread asking for help with PA exhaust laws, but 90% of the original post is about CA laws. Color me ! Thank goodness aurora40 went through the trouble of searching the internet for hours and hours to find the PA vehicle code.

Originally Posted by kl2onik
GM warranty would be voided as the car is certified as to the design at the time feds tested the car and removal of muffler in total would change the exhaust backpressure effecting smog devices so violation of EPA.
Not sure where you got all of that CA information from, but whoever wrote this particular part is a moron.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AAIIIC

Not sure where you got all of that CA information from, but whoever wrote this particular part is a moron.
I think what is being said here is, If you chop off your mufflers, GM isn't going to put new ones back on under warranty.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

I believe, take that for what it's worth, that the PA exhaust/emission inspection is a mixed bag of regulation depending on what county you live in. In Adams County they visually inspect the exhaust system for damage. No emissions sticker is given. In York County, they visually inspect for damagae and that all OEM "type" equipment is present. By "type" they mean that if your car came with cats from the factory it must have cats presents even if they are different cats in a different location. York County also checks for codes and issues an emissions inspection sticker. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Lancaster County's requirements.

Your question, however, seems to be more specific to the need for a muffler. A muffler has nothing to do with your exhaust system other than choking the engine and reducing the db of the exhaust. This will fall into your local ordinances, if they have any, regarding db restrictions on exhaust. In the areas that I frequent, I have noticed many "loud" vehicles that don't seem to draw any unwanted attention. I used to work with a guy who had Cherry Bombs on an '80's era Chevy pickup that would get him pulled over in McSherrystown...but that was really loud.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but that's my understanding of how things work in PA. Basically, if your car is not stupid loud you're likely fine. However, you may want to check with your local inspection mechanic to verify that everything will pass inspection and is legal.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have your Corsa exhaust? Are you planning on selling it?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by serik21
Do you have your Corsa exhaust? Are you planning on selling it?
Yeah man I will have a corsa up 4 sale soon enough I think in the next week. And I spoke to several shops here in PA its the same thing everywhere. There is a visual inspection looking for the presence of mufflers PERIOD! So I guess all of you just have some mexicans doing yours on the dl. And the reason I posted the cali rules is because most of the people I have seen on here with muff deletes are from cali so wanted to know their opinion. Read the first line of the ordinance... "the presence of a muffler". Got the info on some cadillacforum post that I copied on here.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Find a picture of the stock resonator/cross-over cut open. It's a muffler of sorts.

Read the first line of the ordinance... "the presence of a muffler".
The first line of what ordinance? I don't see that quoted phrase in the CA stuff you posted or the PA link that aurora40 posted.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

how much do you want for the used corsa?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RADEoN
how much do you want for the used corsa?
500 sounds reasonable however serik got first dibs
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

500 sounds reasonable however serik got first dibs
I do see you are local PA, so i may have to reconsider cause I don't wanna deal with shipping

Quick Reply: Is a muffler delete legal in PA