Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting issues

I haven't owned a manul in a while but it's like riding a bike. The question I have is when I'm winding a gear out the trans will seem to just jump into neutral when I get the RPM's up high. I'm guessing it's some sort of safety thing
letting me know that I should have shifted and I was getting too close to blowing some **** up, but I'm not positive of that. Is that what's going on? And is that something that can be turned off?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

If it doesn't have a skip shift eliminator, you need one. Sounds like that could be your issue. However, it wouldn't cause it to kick out of gear once its locked it... it would just lock you out of certain gears at certain rpms.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds more like a broken transmission if it's jumping out of gear. It's not a safety feature that's for sure. Revs increase when you're still on the gas and it suddenly pops out of gear.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd start with bleeding the clutch and doing a fluid change, if no dice, you've got a few issues at hand. If it's doing it with all gears, then I'd think shifter related, and it's not pressed fully into gear. If it's just a few gears, I'd say synchronizer.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on the synchros
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 on internal transmission issues. I would also check your transmission mount to make sure it isnt physically torquing the trans enough to move the linkage.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That could be the dual mass flywheel "unloading" on the decel.

Is your car stock?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

If it turns out to be the trans internals its the perfect time for a TR6060 internal swap. Good luck with this trans problems are the worst, get a skip shift eliminator while your down there it makes life so much better.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you should be able to hit the rev limiter and hold it there. i have at least proven this in 1st 2nd and 3rd so i would expect all gears to be the same
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
you should be able to hit the rev limiter and hold it there. i have at least proven this in 1st 2nd and 3rd so i would expect all gears to be the same
Thanks for all the input everyone. Its not stock, it has a Maggie, CAI, Headers, and the tune afterwards. I didn't do any of it though, I bought it that way. I do have the receipt from when he had it all done though.
It's a strange thing because it never even comes into play unless I really wind the gears out. I thought for sure it was some sort of safety feature. And I'm not sure it does it every gear because once it happens I make sure to shift a bit sooner into the next gear. Almost like it just jumps into neutral at real high RPM's to keep the engine from grenading or something.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jumping into neutral isn't going to stop it from blowing up.

In fact, it should exacerbate the problem because the load is removed.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the load is suddenly removed, you're risking blowing it up a lot quicker than you were with it in gear. A trans mount that's sagging enough to bend the shifter down would absolutely not allow a transmission to fully link two gears. If it's popping out of every gear, something like this might be going on, but if not, I'd gamble there's something going on with your transmission.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeonRon
Thanks for all the input everyone. Its not stock, it has a Maggie, CAI, Headers, and the tune afterwards. I didn't do any of it though, I bought it that way. I do have the receipt from when he had it all done though.
It's a strange thing because it never even comes into play unless I really wind the gears out. I thought for sure it was some sort of safety feature. And I'm not sure it does it every gear because once it happens I make sure to shift a bit sooner into the next gear. Almost like it just jumps into neutral at real high RPM's to keep the engine from grenading or something.
Is it jumping out of your hand or just slipping into neutral? Does it happen if you aren't touching the ****?

Mine doesn't jump out of my hand, but after a good clutch bleed when it shifts smooth, it seems to almost get sucked into the next gear, especially 2-3 and 4-5. Also, if I have too much pressure on the **** anticipating the next shift it will sometimes just "slip" or "fall" out of gear..but, I think it happens closer to the neutral synchro point than redline..
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Jumping into neutral isn't going to stop it from blowing up.

In fact, it should exacerbate the problem because the load is removed.
Yeah, you're right. Now that I think about it, it's more like the engine cutting out because the RPM's just drop to like zero but the car doesn't stall out or anything. It just drops to idle, then I up shift and everything kicks back in. Yeah, if it were slipping into neutral the RPM's would keep rising. Actually, it's as if my foot slipped off the gas pedal. I hate to keep testing it ( well not really) but it's the only way I can determine exactly when it's happening, and if it does it in every gear. Thinking about it now, I think they few times it's happened has been while in second gear just before I would have shifted to third. So what I do now if I'm racing with it I just make sure to shift a hair sooner than I would like to.
The clutch fluid flush sounds like a food idea....not that I think it has anything to do with my issue but I like the description of the way the clutch performs after the flush.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be running out of fuel.

You might replace the fuel filter before you go tearing into the transmission.

If you do pull the trans, get rid of the dual mass POS.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

I did a little testing and determined that it only happens in second gear. And it happens at around 6k RPM's. Probably not good news. I was hoping it wasn't the trans but it appears there's a problem with second gear.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I think it is either you are hitting the rev limiter and it is bringing the RPMs back down or it is time for a new clutch.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
Well, I think it is either you are hitting the rev limiter and it is bringing the RPMs back down or it is time for a new clutch.
That's exactly what I suggested from the start but I don't know what the "rev limiter" is. I thought it seemed like the engine was basically letting me know that I was pushing the limit in that gear and should have shifted so I'm just gonna shut you down. But I pushed first and third into the same rpm range and it never cut out. I'm gonna go look up rev limiter now....thanks 54.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. If the gear or clutch was slipping the rps would jump, not drop. Are you using a Magnavolt?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soulja
Sounds like a fuel issue to me. If the gear or clutch was slipping the rps would jump, not drop. Are you using a Magnavolt?
Yes...

Quick Reply: Shifting issues