Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS7 clutch kit on Ebay - compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch kit on Ebay - compatible?

I'm perusing the interwebs for LS7 setups and their pricing, and I came across THIS on eBay. What do you think? If it's a factory replacement for the vehicles it lists, it should be the same as the Scoggin Dickey or East Coast Performance in terms of fitment, right?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks fine, but if you're going to do that, you may as well buy the real F1 Racing LS7 setup (which can also be found on eBay).
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^That is the F1 racing kit in the link. At least the flywheel is.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

To answer the OP's question, it should be compatible but you should measure to be sure it's installed correctly.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

01 - what measurements are you referring to?

I wonder if there are any trade-offs with this versus the Scoggin Dickey LS7 setup with the RAM flywheel. I know the RAM is 19 lbs. versus this F1 being 20.4 lbs, but I wonder if there's much other difference. The SD one is about $575 withOUT the slave, where this eBay one is about $550 INCLUDING slave. I'm a bit curious. I also need to contact the eBay seller to verify which slave they're selling - in terms of brand. If I went with the SD setup, my plan was just to snag the slave that O'reiley's sells for $90.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

01 - what measurements are you referring to?

I wonder if there are any trade-offs with this versus the Scoggin Dickey LS7 setup with the RAM flywheel. I know the RAM is 19 lbs. versus this F1 being 20.4 lbs, but I wonder if there's much other difference. The SD one is about $575 withOUT the slave, where this eBay one is about $550 INCLUDING slave. I'm a bit curious. I also need to contact the eBay seller to verify which slave they're selling - in terms of brand. If I went with the SD setup, my plan was just to snag the slave that O'reiley's sells for $90.

Here are a few eBay auctions that I'm interested in:

F1 flywheel (not sure of the rest): http://bit.ly/NWWrlI

F1 stage 1: http://bit.ly/

Another F1 stage 1 (not sure what's different): http://bit.ly/NWXi5P
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wes, see link below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Am I correct that that's referring just to whether the slave needs a spacer/shim or not? I'll be using an LS7 slave (whether it comes with the kit, like those F1 ones, or I buy the O'Reily LS7 slave to use), so I shouldn't have to worry about spacers, right?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I got the luk clutch kit straight from luk themselves for around $300 plus another $65 or so for a new throw out bearing and slave from amazon. I haven't had any problems.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Lowaggie - sounds like you're just the person I'd like to talk to. Do you mind answering a few questions about the LUK/F1 stuff?
Did you swap to an LS7? In a V1? Which "stage" did you go with? Did you get the F1 20.4 lb flywheel? Any drive-ability issues with the lighter FW, or do you have other mods (tune, maggie) that make your application different than a lighty modded V1?
Apologies if some of this is answered in your sig, but I only have access to the mobile site which doesn't show sigs.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

A little further investigation indicates that LUK is actually the OEM manufacturer for the LS7 clutches! Interesting stuff.
I have contacted the eBay sellers who sell these LUK/F1 setups, and of course they're not willing to guarantee anything in terms of fitment, etc for the cts-v, as it's not what these kits are intended and tested for. Totally understandable. But if LUK is the OEM manufacturer, I can't see that being an issue since if I got the OEM LS7 kit from Scoggin Dickey, I would apparently be getting a LUK clutch disc and pressure plate (unknown who makes OEM flywheel). It would just be a matter of the F1 flywheel that could cause issues, right? And would it? Who knows ... Maybe Lowaggie does!
Lowaggie - still hoping I'll hear back from you. Perhaps I'll try PM.

EDIT: Now that I'm on a regular computer and can see signature lines and avatars, I'm assuming that Lowaggie isn't referring to a V1...
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

No not a v1, but I know that it works behind a camaro. Sorry, I'm a Mechanical Engineer/School Teacher so I tend to not check this too often because of work. I don't think there should be a problem. I went with the stock ls2 flywheel, had no fitment issues, and it works great. I'm thinking that with the added mass of the V you may want to go with the stock weight flywheel to help with driveability as that would help you keep from stalling on launch and help keep your between shift rpms from dropping too much. Makes things much nicer to have a little inertia for everyday shifting.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowaggie
No not a v1, but I know that it works behind a camaro. Sorry, I'm a Mechanical Engineer/School Teacher so I tend to not check this too often because of work. I don't think there should be a problem. I went with the stock ls2 flywheel, had no fitment issues, and it works great. I'm thinking that with the added mass of the V you may want to go with the stock weight flywheel to help with driveability as that would help you keep from stalling on launch and help keep your between shift rpms from dropping too much. Makes things much nicer to have a little inertia for everyday shifting.
For the flywheel, stock LS7 is good. Most of us ditch the dual mass LS2 because that extra inertia and mass is not necessary. I never had the stock flywheel in my car, it came with a Monster Stage who knows already in it. Probably a Stage 1. I can't give a true comparison.

My setup is now all stock LS7 and I love it. Launching, revving and shifting overall are all superb. I kept the stock iron flywheel in my F-body for drivability and mass which I feel is appropriate for that car. I'm also a mechanical engineer so take our opinions for what they're worth.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

The stock ls2 is the same as the stock ls7. The V's were the only cars that got the goofy dual mass as far as I know. And yeah, the dual mass is a major pain in the *** and not worth much! Glad it worked out for yah. And hooray for mecanical engineers, the jack of all trades in the engineering world.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

you wont need spacers for the LS7 setup + ls7 slave. The spacer is only needed if you dont buy the slave with the kit. At first it is going to be very close to the ground. VERY CLOSE. But it will come up as you drive a couple hundred miles

The stock LS2 is not the same as the stock ls7. The stock LS2 is dual mass as where the ls7 isnt
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

The stock ls2 flywheel in a ctsv is different and is dual mass, but the ls2 vettes got the ls7 flywheel and ls2 gto's got the ls1/ls6 flywheel both of which are a regular traditional style flywheel.

Last edited by lowaggie; 09-28-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch kit on Ebay - compatible?