Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Question regarding crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding crank pulley

I've noticed my stock crank pulley is slowly on it's way out and that it's time I do something about it... my question is that since my crank is most likely pinned due to the Maggie (previous owner installed) will I have to purchase a pinning kit with whichever pulley I choose or will a keyed pulley work? Any help here will be appreciated...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Any keyed pulley will work.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine as well get the overdriven balancer while ur at it..more boost
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking about, but then that's a retune... Short on cash and also not sure if I wanna chance it since this is my only car... Was gonna wait til I get another car and convert to e85 before I do more boost
Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
I was thinking about, but then that's a retune... Short on cash and also not sure if I wanna chance it since this is my only car... Was gonna wait til I get another car and convert to e85 before I do more boost
What is your crank pulley doing that leads you to think it needs to be replaced?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Any keyed pulley will work.
I have looked at some of the aftermarket keyed pulleys and their key is square. The pins and holes I put in my crank are round. How do you put square holes in the crank?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's pretty much my question... Square keyed pulley on a round pinned crank... I'm gonna call around and ask... And to answer your question about my concern... I have a pronounced vibration around 2k and I don't believe it's driveline related since everything has been replaced and I've double checked it all... I can see the rubber in the crank pulley working its way out
Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
That's pretty much my question... Square keyed pulley on a round pinned crank... I'm gonna call around and ask... And to answer your question about my concern... I have a pronounced vibration around 2k and I don't believe it's driveline related since everything has been replaced and I've double checked it all... I can see the rubber in the crank pulley working its way out

You mind taking a picture of that for me. Please???
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2#post16805952

Here is what will eventually happen... Mine isn't so obvious, but you can see the rubber insert is no longer evenly flush anymore
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soulja
I have looked at some of the aftermarket keyed pulleys and their key is square. The pins and holes I put in my crank are round. How do you put square holes in the crank?
I don't know what you're talking about. The only experience I have is with the ATI SuperDamper. There's a slot cut in the inner surface that allows you to force the damper over the keyed crank snout. All crank keys that I've seen are round cylinders. The usual DIY key is a short section of a drill bit. The ATI key kit comes with two hardened cylindrical steel slugs.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I don't know what you're talking about. The only experience I have is with the ATI SuperDamper. There's a slot cut in the inner surface that allows you to force the damper over the keyed crank snout. All crank keys that I've seen are round cylinders. The usual DIY key is a short section of a drill bit. The ATI key kit comes with two hardened cylindrical steel slugs.
Ah okay, so the ATI's key slot isn't squared. That is good to know. I think I was looking at the 8 rib, or Fluiddamp, can't remember which one.

Quick Reply: Question regarding crank pulley