Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom cai

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom cai

I know theres a lot of people on here that say cai are junk they should be called hot air intakes because they just draw air from the engine bay but if done right i think it can actually be a helpful mod. The way i see it is when the car is moving the air rushes through the hood seams and rushes through the grill into the engine bay, this effect in turn makes all "hot air" blow backward and toward the cowl vents. So here is my cai build if you like it i hope it helps, i think i may of had $150 in parts and a couple hours in the "making it fit" area. im horrible with grammar so please look past it.

Things you need:

Airraid 100-300 4" tubeing ( i got mine from summit)
2 straight 4.25 couplers or whatever you can find close to it. ( i got mine from silicone intakes.com)
1/4 inch vac hose ( autozone) i think i bought 2 ft just to be safe.
1/4 inch nipple threaded ( menards)(autozone) cant remember which
4 hose clamps (because i wanted it to look as stock as possible i bought mine from (davadsmotorsports) he has anodized black ones
a 4'x4' piece of sheet metal( menards)
and a filter from your choice( autozone)
I also trimmed my sheet metal with the plastic door molding trim to kind of clean it up.

First i cut the tube to length.

Then because i noticed that the tube was gonna rub i changed bolts on the fan shroud and trimmed it a little.

Then i drilled the hole and mounted my plastic vent line nipple. And painted the tip so it blended in.

And here was the finished product with the tube connected to the a stock airbox.

Then i cut the plastic tube beside the radiator and cut my sheetmetal and connected my filter. lol

This pic is from right in behind the grill faceing the intake.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you had no issues with clearance using the 4" tubing? in a recent thread, ppl had mentioned clearance issues with pulleys.

see:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...emade-cai.html
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You just made one of those hot air intakes. Advise installing something to seal the top (the side closest to the shock tower). Otherwise, I expect that your IATs will rise 20-40 degrees. Also, that filter is tiny and is probably negating any benefit you would've otherwise seen with the larger tube.

Also, did you delete your MAF?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You just made one of those hot air intakes. Advise installing something to seal the top (the side closest to the shock tower). Otherwise, I expect that your IATs will rise 20-40 degrees. Also, that filter is tiny and is probably negating any benefit you would've otherwise seen with the larger tube.

His maf is in there. Check last pic. or 3rd to last
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Launching!

how? If air flows into the engine bay it should push any hot air to the back correct? The air isnt going to move forward over my shroud into the intake. The forced air should push through the opening in the grill through beside the rad straight to the filter and when moveing, should push only exterior air to the filter. I can understand the hot air concept when the car is not moving, but not if the car is going down the road.

I did not delete the maf.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by I8URSVT
you had no issues with clearance using the 4" tubing? in a recent thread, ppl had mentioned clearance issues with pulleys.

see:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...emade-cai.html
no pulley issues, its close with probably an 1/8th inch of clearance but it doesnt move, with how i set the shroud.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Maybe at idle....but not when fresh air is directed into that area

Filter does look a little small though, I thought the stock airbox flowed a lot
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Heres my theory fuzzy,

the air "should" push any stagnat hot air in the engine bay towards the back, not letting it go sideways into the supplied air area. Stagnat hot air being blue outside air in red.

Ill post a results if i get it dynoed again this december. I had my cam and everything prior to the intake on the car when i had it dynoed last dec., and my tuner said the car was acting like it was choking with the stock air box. So if i can swing it ill get it strapped down again and see what it does. I know the air will be a little different but i think it was in the 30's or 40's when i had it dynoed last year.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06vLo
Heres my theory fuzzy,

the air "should" push any stagnat hot air in the engine bay towards the back, not letting it go sideways into the supplied air area. Stagnat hot air being blue outside air in red.

Ill post a results if i get it dynoed again this december. I had my cam and everything prior to the intake on the car when i had it dynoed last dec. So if i can swing it ill get it strapped down again and see what it does. I know the air will be a little different but i think it was in the 30's or 40's when i had it dynoed last year.
Correct, but when you idle or slow down, you'll be sucking a ton of hot air and that'll make the ECU pull massive amounts of timing until the sensor reading comes down.

When you have the car on the dyno, it should perform fine because of the fan they have blowing directly into the intake. In real life, however, you're going to have trouble zipping around from stoplight to stoplight.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Correct, but when you idle or slow down, you'll be sucking a ton of hot air and that'll make the ECU pull massive amounts of timing until the sensor reading comes down.

When you have the car on the dyno, it should perform fine because of the fan they have blowing directly into the intake. In real life, however, you're going to have a ton of trouble zipping around from stoplight to stoplight.
ok i got ya. What about In a similar case would'nt the stock airbox act the same? It has no shroud keeping it from the engine heat so would'nt the stock airbox heat up naturally sitting as close to the motor and when slowing down or idleing create the same problem? basically makeing the bottom of the stock airbox a "hotbox"? thus drawing in the same hot air? I understand the difference in my setup is completely open. But wouldnt the closed box with the little air fed 2x3 inch opening really make that much difference?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

@ fuzzy, i had made a top piece for it but it looked like **** and i had'nt got back around to making another piece so maybe i should attack that to make it the ideal cai? The good thing about this is, that i made it to work originally with the stock box so if need be i can throw the stock box back on and be done with it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06vLo
@ fuzzy, i had made a top piece for it but it looked like **** and i had'nt got back around to making another piece so maybe i should attack that to make it the ideal cai? The good thing about this is, that i made it to work originally with the stock box so if need be i can throw the stock box back on and be done with it.
I think you're close...the tubing looks good. Just do the garbage can and make sure you get a big freaking rubber gasket so that it seals up against the hood really well. A big AMSOIL air filter would probably go well with it, too. In the end, your airbox should look something like my modified Lingenfelter airbox (double DEI wrapped):

Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Launching!

I think you're close...the tubing looks good. Just do the garbage can and make sure you get a big freaking rubber gasket so that it seals up against the hood really well. A big AMSOIL air filter would probably go well with it, too. In the end, your airbox should look something like my modified Lingenfelter airbox (double DEI wrapped):

lol i had forgot about the garbage can shroud, im sure it blocks more than my setup. Cool deal fuzzy thanks for the input, always good to have other ideas and opinions. Ill probably try to switch to that style of shroud and filter.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good for a custom job, the heat issue is why I got rid of my K&N and went to Volant which has a air box. Out of curiosity, how much did all the supplies set you back?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Very clean looking, I like it.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Looks good for a custom job, the heat issue is why I got rid of my K&N and went to Volant which has a air box. Out of curiosity, how much did all the supplies set you back?
About $200 for the intake tube pieces and clamps. So that'll probably change your mind. I'm probably going to be switching to a $150 4" carbon fiber piece for better strength and heat rejection once I get the 416 CID LS3 in there with a TVS2300 on top. So I'll be selling stuff over the next 12 months or so.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The true test of heat would be to put a sensor/thermo couple in the airbox area and take readings.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by etcts-v
i have about $150 in parts. Plus i still have a big section of that pipe left for other stuff.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmargo
The true test of heat would be to put a sensor/thermo couple in the airbox area and take readings.
Mine are 3-20 degrees over ambient, depending on whether I'm moving in 40 mph traffic or stopped (data based on HP Tuners datalogging at Slowhawk). I don't have data on whether the temperature drops to exactly ambient under higher speed/higher throttle conditions.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

If I were to install the volant cai, would I need to tune the engine afterwards or would I be fine without tuning?

Quick Reply: Custom cai