Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2012 CTSV questions? Auto vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013 | 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Default 2012 CTSV questions? Auto vs Manual?

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions I've driven both the manual and auto versions of these V's on the Vseries events and I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. What are the disadvantages of the Auto? I love banging gears, but the auto seemed to do the job just about as good as the manual. So let me know your opinions. There are a few nicely priced used low mileage V's in my area and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.
So let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 06-08-2013 | 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO... Auto for drags, manual for road courses. My busy blew the trans in his auto mustang on a road course. It just seems to me an auto heats up over the course of a long road race track lap after lap... In a 1/4 or 1/8th it only has to deal with a few seconds at a time. I'm sure the new v is better equipped, that is just my opinion though... Plus I drive an old V so my opinion won't count as much as a V2 owner's about the manual vs auto.
Old 06-08-2013 | 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may have a bit easier time reselling it when the time comes with the auto simply because more people prefer it. Also, if you're using the car as your DD and drive a lot of stop-and-go, the auto might become preferable.

Aw, heck ... get the manual.
Old 06-08-2013 | 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I was factoring in the DD and resale as well. I remember Daily driving my ws6 with the twin disc McLeod clutch that wasn't very fun in Houston traffic. Also manuals are pretty hard to find right now for. I may just suck it up and go auto, since I still can manually shift it. I hear with a good tuner you could really get the shift points where they should be. Ahh decisions... Decisions.
Old 06-08-2013 | 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

What kind of MPG do you get with your auto? Is it really that much less compared to the manuals. I've been reading 14 local / 18 highway for auto and. 18 local and 25 highway for manual. I find this hard to believe since they are both 6 speeds.
Old 06-08-2013 | 09:04 AM
FoD
On The Tree

18/25 sounds more inline with the first gen V's (LS6/LS2), not the V2 (LSA). I've heard getting 20 MPG is hard with the V2, even when keeping your foot out of it.
Old 06-08-2013 | 09:27 AM
On The Tree

I'd get an auto.
Old 06-08-2013 | 09:51 AM
Launching!

Please - All of you potential V2 owners buy an Auto.

That will leave more manual V2's out there for me to choose from.
Old 06-08-2013 | 10:26 AM

Manual if u want an exciting driving experience everyday..autos are boring
Old 06-08-2013 | 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead

x2
Especially the wagons
Old 06-08-2013 | 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same decision making right now myself.. everyday I change my mind. If I trade my v1 in and do pull the trigger on a v2 I just don't know if I want to lose the fun of a 6 speed. I don't auto x or anything like that and I would maybe make it to the track a handful of times a year.
Old 06-08-2013 | 10:41 PM
Launching!

1. the 0-60 time for the auto is 3.9 m6 is 4.1
2. the track record that was held and broken in Germany was with a auto not a manual so over heating the auto trans is bs.
3. if you do any dd driving the auto is a blessing
4. you want to do any mods later in the game you will have a huge fight for traction with a m6 compared to a auto.

Here is my 2 cents
if its your weekend car you wont dd and want to road course the car a lot then get a m6 if your not doing more then a track session at least 1 a month the auto is a better choice in both worlds. as for mpg there almost the exact same the m6 states it gets 19 as the auto gets 18 big fen deal 1 mpg not worth the consideration in my book
4. there is no m6 cts-v 2s in the 9s or low 10s. so if you ever want to do some street racing or drag the m6 is not for you. you can do a great trans tune with the auto
+ the paddle shifting is fun to mess around with.

ok im done for now
Old 06-09-2013 | 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The auto in the V2 is simply amazing...especially after a TCM tune. Plus, you get 3 transmissions in 1...normal, sport, and manual.

I wanted a manual V2, but they are just very hard to find. After having the auto, and living with it for the last 4 months, I am glad I got it. I still somewhat miss the 3rd pedal...but all I have to do is put the auto in sport or manual mode, and all is well.
Old 06-09-2013 | 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead

thinking like this will make stop making manual v's
Old 06-10-2013 | 05:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
thinking like this will make stop making manual v's
The v's competitors dropping the manual will stop manual v's long before any thinking will.
Old 06-10-2013 | 06:35 PM
Teching In

IMO you answered your own question in the bolded part.

An auto is a lot like a handjob; It's quicker and gets the job done, but it doesn't compare to sex.

Edit: I've always deliberately bought standard over auto's because I enjoyed them. I don't go to the track often, don't go to many road courses, but do have quite a few detours I like to take. The numbers don't lie, the auto's are badass, but the grin on my face is bigger with manuals.

Considering your statement below, I wouldn't just make the choice based on #'s at the track.

Originally Posted by Killer
I just wanted to get everyone's opinions I've driven both the manual and auto versions of these V's on the Vseries events and I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. What are the disadvantages of the Auto? I love banging gears, but the auto seemed to do the job just about as good as the manual. So let me know your opinions. There are a few nicely priced used low mileage V's in my area and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.
So let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by cts v r4; 06-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2013 | 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I enjoy manual cars too, but I would much rather be faster. And the simple fact is...the auto Vs are faster. Which makes the grin on my face bigger then it was in my manual car...
Old 06-11-2013 | 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
I enjoy manual cars too, but I would much rather be faster. And the simple fact is...the auto Vs are faster. Which makes the grin on my face bigger then it was in my manual car...
faster on paper, but i bet the manual will feel faster. Lets be honest, any idiot can be fast in an automatic, it takes NO skill. But there is something very rewarding and satisfying about shifting through the gears. I personally would not buy a performance sedan and then opt for an auto. It violates the whole design intent of the vehicle IMO.
Old 06-11-2013 | 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is nothing I want really say to that...

I will just let you feel faster...
Old 06-11-2013 | 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

The resale aspect of the 6MT is moot. There are very few bought new, which means they will be sought after used.

The auto may be better for staying in boost with a FI car. This is the only reason I would consider it over a manual with the V2.

Quick Reply: 2012 CTSV questions? Auto vs Manual?