Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSM
You were close, but it's not a cover.
You got the apparent part, but didn't catch on to what lies beneath...dun dun dun

I can see how you would think it's alcantara from that distance, but actually it's real leather.

Those are my custom Lloyd mats, but that's not new, I posted about them like a month ago in this thread, good try.

Thank you sir, I though so too enough to have my fingers go numb at night from how often I used scissors

Well that was fun, maybe I made it difficult, maybe not, but I was hoping the apparent clue which was the texture changing, would help others close in on the size change.
Let's go to the reveal of what I worked on for so many hours to get right:
Go to the video link below to find out.

So yes, what I was doing the rest of the night was reupholstering a base CTS armrest with a real leather cover I custom ordered with matching white stitching.
And when I say base I mean base. My 07 V6 CTS has a leather arm rest, this one from a donor car had a vinyl armrest cover which I didn't even know GM made at some point.
but the armrest was complete with hardware and was in good condition so I got it.

Original vinyl cover on armrest, very ugly but very sturdy material.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Granted that leather is fancier than anything in the car, but it's comfortable and the cushioning I added (firm semiconductor packaging lol) gives it a sturdy feel.
I have something similar. Somebody here made a cover for the one with a compartment that’s a common replacement for the V armrest. I think it was azn but I honestly don’t remember. I lost the spring so it doesn’t latch anymore but it is only a problem when you flip it up to get underneath. I’ll get a pic up in a little bit. Pretty sure it’s alcantara to match the seats but honestly don’t remember.

and I definitely recognize the pink foam lol. Closed cell anti static ESD approved.
The following 2 users liked this post by isis:
Byron (06-11-2021), CTSM (06-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

You were close, but it's not a cover.
You got the apparent part, but didn't catch on to what lies beneath...dun dun dun

I can see how you would think it's alcantara from that distance, but actually it's real leather.

Those are my custom Lloyd mats, but that's not new, I posted about them like a month ago in this thread, good try.

Thank you sir, I though so too enough to have my fingers go numb at night from how often I used scissors

Well that was fun, maybe I made it difficult, maybe not, but I was hoping the apparent clue which was the texture changing, would help others close in on the size change.
Let's go to the reveal of what I worked on for so many hours to get right:
Go to the video link below to find out.

So yes, what I was doing the rest of the night was reupholstering a base CTS armrest with a real leather cover I custom ordered with matching white stitching.
And when I say base I mean base. My 07 V6 CTS has a leather arm rest, this one from a donor car had a vinyl armrest cover which I didn't even know GM made at some point.
but the armrest was complete with hardware and was in good condition so I got it.

Original vinyl cover on armrest, very ugly but very sturdy material.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Granted that leather is fancier than anything in the car, but it's comfortable and the cushioning I added (firm semiconductor packaging lol) gives it a sturdy feel.
Oddly enough looks like mine. We have similar taste in pink esd foam lol.

Leather with blue stitching and some esd foam below.

I'm loving my new interior.

The interior work ties in the rest of the car.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron
Oddly enough looks like mine. We have similar taste in pink esd foam lol.

It was surprisingly very good for this purpose and doesn't collapse easy over time. And as a bonus, I can rub the armrest as much as I want, my phone inside will be safe

Leather with blue stitching and some esd foam below.

I'm loving my new interior.

The interior work ties in the rest of the car.
Yup they definitely knocked it out of the park for you.
Hopefully I'm not too far behind ya in the interior rejuve.

I need to make some time to take the front seats apart to
install the new OEM seat covers, the old ones really date my car.

As for the steering wheel, I want mine to be smaller in diameter from stock and with a thick round grip without curves and be wrapped in perforated leather. Who do you think I should talk to Byron?

The following users liked this post:
Byron (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was surprisingly very good for this purpose and doesn't collapse easy over time. And as a bonus, I can rub the armrest as much as I want, my phone inside will be safe

Yup they definitely knocked it out of the park for you.
Hopefully I'm not too far behind ya in the interior rejuve.

I need to make some time to take the front seats apart to
install the new OEM seat covers, the old ones really date my car.

As for the steering wheel, I want mine to be smaller in diameter from stock and with a thick round grip without curves and be wrapped in perforated leather. Who do you think I should talk to Byron?
There are only 2 makers I'm aware of that made V1 wheels. The first was Keith, and the second is VLM Autopart.

I have had both wheels, and actually took a video of them with some comparison to each other. The Keith wheel was super nice, but obstructed my vision of the cluster far too much for my taste. The VLM wheel in the picture is absolutely fantastic, and is a hair shorter and has a flat bottom which saves my knees.

Here is a good visual comparison.
It's on my backup service, so it's a little slow. Let it buffer a bit. https://byronsworld.smugmug.com/2006...r9v2/i-G6mxP8V

The VLM wheel has plenty of different options and customization available.

-Byron

Straight on shot.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the parking brake adjusted and gave the underside a good lube, front to back.

Getting her weekly bath and finally just chill for the weekend.

-Byron

Probably one of the most Dubai shots ever. Ferrari, V2, V1 and we don't talk about the mustang in the corner on time out.

Full wash including the chassis on a lift. Hard to say no with that for $16.80 USD.

Random rest stop pic on the way home.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

replaced the HID kits and high beam bulbs with LED bulbs.
The following 3 users liked this post by HtownV04:
azn2dmax (07-07-2021), Byron (07-07-2021), jmilz28 (09-14-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Took advantage of the warm week to wash mine for the first time since I don't know when. I had to clean off rubber streaks from the last track event, which was back in early November, so it's been a while. I really need to get both bumpers repainted and get the car properly detailed.
4 months later, I washed it for the 2nd time this year. Not surprisingly, it was pretty filthy. I'll hopefully have time this evening to clay bar it, and maybe start on waxing it. The last sentence from 4 months ago is still true today.
The following 2 users liked this post by AAIIIC:
azn2dmax (07-16-2021), Byron (07-18-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up a new CF shift ****. About 1/2 lb in weight.

Came out pretty slick, and will match the blue accent on the seats/wheel.

-Byron

Guy in the Facebook group is doing a group buy. It's only for threaded shifters, not OEM.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

- Removed the LS2-to-LS6 throttle body adapter harness and spliced the harness directly using a new pigtail from GM. For the past couple/few years I've had very intermittent P1516 and a couple other throttle body related codes. Each time it would prompt a "Reduced Engine Power" message on the nav screen and put the car into limp mode; since this generally happened at highway speed, suddenly having almost no power was pretty inconvenient!

Mocking things up, with the wire wrap removed from the adapter harness:

Part number for the LS2 throttle body pigtail - GM 13584095 or ACDelco PT2713:

(I had noticed that the throttle body connector on the adapter harness seemed to work its way loose over time - just enough that it didn't look loose, but I could push on it and it would click back into place. This GM pigtail has a connector with a locking mechanism on it, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.)

No turning back now!

Everything butt-spliced together and wrapped with electrical tape. I started the car at that point, just to make sure the engine actually ran before I bothered installing the Techflex woven wrap...

All done! Well, mostly done - I need to get some good tape to wrap the ends of the Techflex.

- After that was all done, I replaced the left front hub to (hopefully) fix an intermittent ABS fault / "Service Stability System" warning. I had had the tech @ Lindsay Cadillac check it a month or two ago and he said it was the left front that was triggering the faults. Since the fault was intermittent, he suggested I check the wiring along the control arm, that he's seen breaks develop in the wiring due to it flexing over and over and over again as the suspension moves. He told me that with the key on, engine off, you should see 5V to the wheel speed sensor - put a multimeter on it, then run your hands along the wiring and flex it this way and that to see if you can find a break. Well, I never found a break, and I had a spare ACDelco / SKF X-tracker STS-V hub on the shelf, so I went ahead and installed that.

Can you tell which one is the new one?

Initial test drive was all good for both fixes, but time will tell if I've actually fixed things or not.
Byron (08-16-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Added some visual horsepower to the interior, and finally after 5 years of looking, I. Scored a perfect shifter trim panel.

I will be 3d scanning it and creating some molds to print so I can do some carbon fiber work. I'll be doing the vents and vent ***** also.

-Byron

Nifty shifters carbon fiber ****.

The following 2 users liked this post by Byron:
CTSM (09-13-2021), jmilz28 (09-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing my spark plugs today and I noticed a little difference between the old installed AC Delco's 12571164 (41-985) and the new ones I got that are AC Delco 12621258 (41-110 )
So I am guessing I am going from platinum to iridium. 06 V has 88k on it
jmilz28 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chasing electrical gremlins. Found a self tapping screw that went right through the passenger rear wire harness courtesy of the interior shop.

Found another one where they pinched the mirror light harness, that one almost caused a fire.

Still sorting the no crank issue and no sunroof control issue.

Anyone know what this panel is? I'm assuming it's a support for the sunroof control panel, above the ****.

No idea what this is. Found above the sunroof control box.

Honestly not even mad about everything when I see the quality of work in the seats. I really love the way they look.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Swapped over to the OEM wheels w/Nokian all-weather tires for the winter. Need to find where my TPMS scanner is so I can program the sensors. (I know I can do it the old-fashioned way, but I'm too lazy.)
Old 11-16-2021, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Added a little safety for track days,

Byron (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Details on that? And more pics? I assume it's bolted in? Where exactly does it mount?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Made a handy video In case anyone gets stuck with a dead clutch switch.

-Byron

Last edited by Byron; 11-20-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Details on that? And more pics? I assume it's bolted in? Where exactly does it mount?
combination bolt in with welded in attachment points.

The following 4 users liked this post by CarolinaLS1:
AAIIIC (11-23-2021), Byron (11-23-2021), cam3439 (12-17-2021), rjoffe (11-30-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ll swap the gauges around on this one. I just got started on the install - feeling out the placement of the two gauges. The gauge pod was custom made, and I picked it up from another V owner.

Once everything is hooked up, I’ll seal the firewall.
Byron (12-24-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my clutch switch swapped out, had to use a shop for the first time in a long time. After getting a plate installed in my hand back in September, my hand doesn't always want to bend the way it used to.

She starts without jumping the relay finally. Now to get the interior put back together and get her registered for the next year. Had to go through the wire harness after I found a screw through the mirror light harness and the rear passenger side harness.

-Byron
Old 12-29-2021, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Installed splitter lip today

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?