Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerVee
Finally got around to putting in a 4" intake pipe. Now that it's done I was to put in a cf one to bring the iats down a bit more
Post some details? I need to do the same. Heard the big rad(about to order) causes some clearance issues. Think CF will make that much of a difference in IAT even on long sessions?
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Swapped out some slightly worn out rear tires. Falken Azenis FK453s with about 10k miles on them.

New tires aren't here yet, should arrive tomorrow. I have a 2nd set of summer wheels/tires, but those rear tires aren't in much better shape - they're into the wear bars, and have significant toe wear on the inner shoulders. I sense a trend here... I briefly considered throwing my winters on for a few days, then realized I could install the other set of fronts on the rear. So, I'm rockin' mismatched wheels with 2 different brands of tires, but at least they're all summers!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be the time of year because I'm in the same boat I need new rears maybe 7k on them
Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, that's a lot of camber wear. The outer shoulders look practically new. I've got about 30k on my 275 DWs out back and they don't look nearly that bad.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sum ting wong with that wear pattern. i hope my nt555s hold up better than 7k.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

-2.3 in front and -3.2 in back toe in .15 and I drive the **** out of it
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

but hey, at least you can still safely drive them in the wet, according to the "DW" tread marker...
Old 09-16-2016, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Was putting new gaskets and lifters on... getting ready to dump the motor. Figured I'd try my hand at hand-porting, since I'm probably due for one more re-tune before the new motor goes in. And I really don't care what happens to these heads, so, for SCIENCE!

What spurred this afternoon of Dremeling was an article that explained that about 80% of the gains from CNC porting are from changes to the first 1" behind the valves. Those changes are pretty obvious... first, the back of the valve seats need to be flush with the ports (there's a huge lip that interferes with flow) and you've got to get rid of the unnecessarily thick aluminum around the valve guides (particularly that raised area to the one side of the intake valve guide).

All in all, it was educational. Would I recommend it? Not unless you're crazy cheap and enjoy taking risks. Supposedly, these changes are worth 20-25 RWHP (about half of a CNC job), but you'll spend 8+ hours and you run the risk of messing up the flow balance on your cylinders. Flow balance is an important reason to have your heads CNCed... it ensures consistency. Consistency = safety and power.

Below are a couple of bad pictures for the curious. I was really really conservative... left plenty of material on the heads to allow a future owner to fully CNC. Tomorrow morning I have to finish up with a polishing pass to remove the rough edges. Also, I forgot to take pictures of the exhaust valve stem before Dremeling... forgive me.

What did you do to your V today?-a9gsule.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-cxdn1fo.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-5b0anb2.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-dctj7n2.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-q1lslpr.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-a0buui9.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-vvi6sqg.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-j32vsah.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-89zs1oy.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-ton5uq9.jpg

/shrug... we'll see how it dynos.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-16-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

I am sitting on some pro-ported 862s and I must say, the concept is not far off. If you didn't increase the cross-section, I think you did nicely. Pocket porting is valuable and looks like you did real well. I need to break my bits out and stop being a pu$$y about it. I think you will gain nicely from that kind of mod. Bravo!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Post some details? I need to do the same. Heard the big rad(about to order) causes some clearance issues. Think CF will make that much of a difference in IAT even on long sessions?
Thanks!
Bought a 12" pipe and a 3.75"-4" coupler along with a 4" 90 coupler along with turbo band clamps. Cut the pipe down to about 8 1/2". Yes, there is clearance issues with the bolt but I switched it out with a flathead bolt and it clears. In total I spent like 20 bucks just patiently shopping around on ebay and low balling the best offer posts. The cf is mainly for looks and saw that they fairly cheap on intakehoses.com. would have gotten it already if they weren't so steep on shipping charges.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
So, I'm rockin' mismatched wheels with 2 different brands of tires, but at least they're all summers!
pics or it didn't happen

Originally Posted by TorchRedRob
but hey, at least you can still safely drive them in the wet, according to the "DW" tread marker...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KillerVee
Bought a 12" pipe and a 3.75"-4" coupler along with a 4" 90 coupler along with turbo band clamps. Cut the pipe down to about 8 1/2". Yes, there is clearance issues with the bolt but I switched it out with a flathead bolt and it clears. In total I spent like 20 bucks just patiently shopping around on ebay and low balling the best offer posts. The cf is mainly for looks and saw that they fairly cheap on intakehoses.com. would have gotten it already if they weren't so steep on shipping charges.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Brakes

just re did all 4 corners with stock brake equipment yesterday.

The fun part was going out and bedding the pads and rotors.

was a pain though, since the first set of front pads from amazon didn't fit, had to return and get ones from rock auto.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Track-ified and de-track-ified the car for an event at a new track just over an hour from me. Track was quite fun, video to follow in the coming days.

And for Mercier, no trailer made from a spare V front clip, instead I pack the back seat and trunk.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AAIIC, you're the man.

Been waiting on feedback/updates on the new headlights and clutch switch...you couldn't be too busy having fun would you?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Good stuff. I think you may be exceeding the capacity of that cargo net.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Was putting new gaskets and lifters on... getting ready to dump the motor. Figured I'd try my hand at hand-porting, since I'm probably due for one more re-tune before the new motor goes in. And I really don't care what happens to these heads, so, for SCIENCE!

What spurred this afternoon of Dremeling was an article that explained that about 80% of the gains from CNC porting are from changes to the first 1" behind the valves. Those changes are pretty obvious... first, the back of the valve seats need to be flush with the ports (there's a huge lip that interferes with flow) and you've got to get rid of the unnecessarily thick aluminum around the valve guides (particularly that raised area to the one side of the intake valve guide).

All in all, it was educational. Would I recommend it? Not unless you're crazy cheap and enjoy taking risks. Supposedly, these changes are worth 20-25 RWHP (about half of a CNC job), but you'll spend 8+ hours and you run the risk of messing up the flow balance on your cylinders. Flow balance is an important reason to have your heads CNCed... it ensures consistency. Consistency = safety and power.

Below are a couple of bad pictures for the curious. I was really really conservative... left plenty of material on the heads to allow a future owner to fully CNC. Tomorrow morning I have to finish up with a polishing pass to remove the rough edges. Also, I forgot to take pictures of the exhaust valve stem before Dremeling... forgive me.

/shrug... we'll see how it dynos.
Looks good. When I pulled my heads I did a little dremelling myself, although I didn't take off much material. I just smoothed out the castings of my 243s. I didn't have it dyno'd prior to taking it all apart, so I can't speak to any gains, but I had the time while I was waiting on parts for reassembly. I definitely didn't spend 8 hrs on them though.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1247
Been waiting on feedback/updates on the new headlights and clutch switch...you couldn't be too busy having fun would you?
Both are all good. I've had some opportunity to drive some roads where I could actually use high beams, and have also put them to good use on left-lane-blockers on the highway. Way, WAY more effective than the conventional 7000K bulbs I had before. Obviously it remains to be seen how the longevity works out - hopefully they'll last a damn long time at $100+!

Haven't had to fiddle with the clutch adjustment any more. As I think I said in the PMC thread, the clutch pick-up is higher off the floor than I would prefer, but after a day or two of driving I was used to it.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plasti dip strikes again!! Pulled my front end and sprayed my grills. Looks mean! And after I put it all back together my turn bulb dies.......Attachment 552063Attachment 552064
Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ordering new inlays to day. Gotta get rid of the sun baked ones now
[i][http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...kuzzlny.jpg/i]

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...pseglmubrq.jpg
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-photo56.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo394.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?