Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made me a shifter extension for the hurst, not sure how I feel about it yet.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Replaced driver's side exhaust manifold due to a broken bolt at the flange (hate leaks) and slung on a junkyard driveshaft. There is NOT a lot of room to pull plug wires, I was wishing I had been able to just put headers on it. Oh well, at least she's back on the road.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

- Loaded it up and headed to the track for 3 days to finish off the 2017 track season.

- Before hitting the road, washed it and even pulled out my Mothers (or Meguiars? whatever) polishing cone thingy to clean up the Corsa exhaust tips. Can't remember the last time I had actually done that, much better now!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my lifters/trays/headgaskets and heads installed last night. I need to order some ls3 rocker pedestals so I can get the rockers in to check my pushrod length.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Put the snow tires on and the shitty stock floormats in for winter. Hit up the self spray car wash to clean the wheels a little. It didnt work very well but it’s crap winter wear anyway.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New cabin filter and fixed the broken plastic anchor for the windshield water feed.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-dsc_0092.jpg  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavymetals
New cabin filter and fixed the broken plastic anchor for the windshield water feed.
Lol I did the same thing to mine when I had to replace part of my line
Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Picked up a few goodies to start the swap from stock MAF to card style. Stock is maxed out and probably pretty restrictive considering it’s design and size. Especially when trying to suck enough air to feed the maggie. Hoping this will help. Have right at 120 bucks in parts so overall not too expensive either.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-84b18206-6e82-4dae-80c0-650df96a0cd9.jpeg   What did you do to your V today?-e2022fba-b314-4fc2-8b42-26a0388910a4.jpeg   What did you do to your V today?-36afad69-b4b5-4e60-ac1a-08bcfb05767c.jpeg   What did you do to your V today?-11061e84-6351-46a0-98d3-db2de7dfc042.jpeg  

Last edited by raven154; 11-04-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Added a can of R134. The A/C was taking longer to cool.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Well it wasnt today, but recently. got a custom exahust fabbed up in preparation for the Long Tubes (been waiting 7 weeks so far). Also added some drag radials.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-exhaust.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Nixed the tilton slave for a centric brand replacement OEM slave.

Replaced the wilwood master with a OEM slave.

Installed the act spacer for the OEM slave and hopefully this one will last more than a month.

-Byron
Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

- Knocked out ~350 miles on track over the weekend (Fri - Sun). Forgot to reset "trip B" until after the first session, so I missed 30-35 miles from that session.

Friday was on the Grand Course, not shown on the Nav screen because I didn't think to get a picture until Sunday.

First session on Saturday was wet. Rain + track pads = filthy calipers.

After having clutch and no-start issues at my last two events (which cost me a day of track time at each event), it was nice to be able to run all 3 days nearly trouble-free.

Friday went just fine, no issues (although it turned out that wasn't true - more on that in a moment). As mentioned above, Saturday first session was fully wet. Went out on the R-comps, pretty slow session - gradually stepped up from 80ish to 95ish on the straights - but kept it on the pavement. Only got passed by Audis and Subies (Sat/Sun was an Audi Club event), and actually managed to catch a couple cars, so I was pretty happy. Track was pretty much dry at the start of the 2nd session, but air temps were still cool and there was full overcast all day, so track temps were still low. I went out for the first lap of that 2nd session and the rear felt unstable, like the rear alignment was way off. Pulled into the hot pits after the first lap and eye-balled things, didn't see anything. Thought maybe the tires were just cold, so I went out for another lap - that time I definitely heard a clunk/pop as something shifted in the rear end, so I tip-toed around the track and right back to my garage.

I was thinking one of the toe links was loose, broken bolt, something like that, felt like it was the right rear. Jacked it up and didn't see anything. Put the right side down, jacked up the left rear to check that side, again nothing obvious. At that point I put the rear on jack stands so I could go through and check/tighten all the bolts. Found the bolts that connect the lower control arms to the rear subframe were both loose - driver side only maybe 1/4 turn, but passenger side was way loose. That control arm shifting in and out would also make the toe go in and out, hence the squirrely handling. Tightened both those up and all was well the rest of the event. God knows what my rear alignment is, but the car felt OK, and I only missed that 1 session over the course of the 3 days.

After finding all that, I realized I had actually felt it Friday in the last session. My buddy, Tim, was catching me in his STI - he's a few seconds a lap quicker than I am. I could've let him by on the bridge straight, but I elected not to, figuring I'd get a good rear-cam shot of him following me up the Esses. I took the first left into the Esses (figure 115-120mph) and the car just didn't seem to take a set and felt a little weird, which meant I completely blew the turn back to the right - was probably middle of the track on that next turn. Got through the Esses (with Tim, wondering what the hell I'm doing, now right on my *** because I had slowed way down), let Tim by, then did a couple more laps to finish out the session. Took it a little easy, as something didn't feel quite right, but I couldn't really pin it down. The first session on Saturday I didn't notice it because it was so wet that I wasn't cornering hard enough to make the control arm shift, but once I went out in the dry 2nd session on Saturday it became immediately apparent.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
- Knocked out ~350 miles on track over the weekend (Fri - Sun). Forgot to reset "trip B" until after the first session, so I missed 30-35 miles from that session.

Friday was on the Grand Course, not shown on the Nav screen because I didn't think to get a picture until Sunday.

First session on Saturday was wet. Rain + track pads = filthy calipers.

After having clutch and no-start issues at my last two events (which cost me a day of track time at each event), it was nice to be able to run all 3 days nearly trouble-free.

Friday went just fine, no issues (although it turned out that wasn't true - more on that in a moment). As mentioned above, Saturday first session was fully wet. Went out on the R-comps, pretty slow session - gradually stepped up from 80ish to 95ish on the straights - but kept it on the pavement. Only got passed by Audis and Subies (Sat/Sun was an Audi Club event), and actually managed to catch a couple cars, so I was pretty happy. Track was pretty much dry at the start of the 2nd session, but air temps were still cool and there was full overcast all day, so track temps were still low. I went out for the first lap of that 2nd session and the rear felt unstable, like the rear alignment was way off. Pulled into the hot pits after the first lap and eye-balled things, didn't see anything. Thought maybe the tires were just cold, so I went out for another lap - that time I definitely heard a clunk/pop as something shifted in the rear end, so I tip-toed around the track and right back to my garage.

I was thinking one of the toe links was loose, broken bolt, something like that, felt like it was the right rear. Jacked it up and didn't see anything. Put the right side down, jacked up the left rear to check that side, again nothing obvious. At that point I put the rear on jack stands so I could go through and check/tighten all the bolts. Found the bolts that connect the lower control arms to the rear subframe were both loose - driver side only maybe 1/4 turn, but passenger side was way loose. That control arm shifting in and out would also make the toe go in and out, hence the squirrely handling. Tightened both those up and all was well the rest of the event. God knows what my rear alignment is, but the car felt OK, and I only missed that 1 session over the course of the 3 days.

After finding all that, I realized I had actually felt it Friday in the last session. My buddy, Tim, was catching me in his STI - he's a few seconds a lap quicker than I am. I could've let him by on the bridge straight, but I elected not to, figuring I'd get a good rear-cam shot of him following me up the Esses. I took the first left into the Esses (figure 115-120mph) and the car just didn't seem to take a set and felt a little weird, which meant I completely blew the turn back to the right - was probably middle of the track on that next turn. Got through the Esses (with Tim, wondering what the hell I'm doing, now right on my *** because I had slowed way down), let Tim by, then did a couple more laps to finish out the session. Took it a little easy, as something didn't feel quite right, but I couldn't really pin it down. The first session on Saturday I didn't notice it because it was so wet that I wasn't cornering hard enough to make the control arm shift, but once I went out in the dry 2nd session on Saturday it became immediately apparent.
I've had issues with my rear control arm bolts coming loose as well. My plan is to weld a guide plate on the cradle slot that has little notches to prevent the control arm from moving around when it does happen. And it will give me a few defined alignment positions as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaiiic glad u had a good event this time unlike the last few
Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Urgh Pat, there is rust on your car, seen on front hubs spline of awd shafts, thats really ugly man, its time that i make u a set of center caps i assume?!

And congrats bro, that no issue has stopped u yet on the event...

I made some additional thicker and bigger washers to the bolt on lca to subframe, hope they will hold up better then before, bec i has also probs on them still stayin in place by a only street driven car...

Greetz
Ron
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started the winter waxing for the fleet,
Pulled my front clip to re align my headlights a little better, also pulled the turn/fog housings and tinted them along with the side marker and reverse lights. The look much darker than they are, plenty of light still for the turns and well we don’t have fog but I thought they where still ok.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-photo606.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo448.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo93.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo125.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Urgh Pat, there is rust on your car, seen on front hubs spline of awd shafts, thats really ugly man, its time that i make u a set of center caps i assume?!
Nah, these are just the track wheels - even if I had center caps for them, I wouldn't run them on track, as they tend to disappear. I'm afraid the rust will just have to be visible.

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
I made some additional thicker and bigger washers to the bolt on lca to subframe, hope they will hold up better then before, bec i has also probs on them still stayin in place by a only street driven car...
Good to know that you and barrok69 have seen this happen, too, so it's not just me. I still think it's a little weird - I'm coming up on 142k miles, have done dozens of days on track, and haven't had this happen before. Well, I guess they may have loosened up before, just not enough to actually slip while I was driving?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

- Dropped off the winter wheels with some new winter tires to be mounted. Probably don't really need winter tires, but I bought them last year when Discount Tire had one of their Ebay deals going, so I'll use 'em.

- Started on de-trackifying the car. Was traveling for work Monday through this afternoon, so the only thing I had done to the car was unload it Sunday night. Got the rear seat reinstalled, and swapped the passenger side brakes back to street parts. I'll finish the job tomorrow, and install the winter wheels/tires.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the custom armrest cover I got from Azn2dmax yesterday. Check out the classifieds for a pic. I didn’t take one installed but it looks good. The base armrest I had in there was stinky and tired so it’s a welcome upgrade.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Brakes and wheel bearings today: Centric C-Tek (basic) rotors, StopTech Street pads, bearings from 1AAuto (TRQ brand). I normally do the nice coated Centrics and Hawk pads, I've gone cheap due to life circumstances. Actually went SUPER cheap as I have Achilles ATR tires being mounted now...hope they work out OK. Anxious to see if I've been overspending or not...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?