Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Can't get driver's side axle out of diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get driver's side axle out of diff

Snapped a DSS axle several months back and repaired it with a cheap aftermarket replacement axle. DSS just shipped me my new replacement with the stock CV's installed. Got the car in the air and quickly has the hub side of the axle free. Now I'm wrestling with the diff side, have been for an hour. I can't get it to pop free. I'm prying against the diff cover, but the gap between the two surfaces is much larger than the OEM CV creates, so I don't have a lot of leverage.

There's at least 2mm of axial play, so I know its not seized in the diff splines. I'm guessing the cheap aftermarket axle came with a snap ring that's sized a little too big. Any other suggestions? I haven't tried pulling on the axle for fear of separating the CV. If this is a failed project, the existing axle needs to get me to work Monday morning. I've never had a half shaft snap ring give me this much trouble on removal.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't separate the CV by yanking on the axle shaft.. Normally I grab the axle and end CV with both hands.. Push all the way in towards the diff and then yank hard... Lol. If the gap is too large to pry it out.. Get your pry bar in there and fill the space with a screw driver or something under the prybar to give you better prying motion .
Old 04-23-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

OK, back outside to give it a yank. The axle...
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Yanking only separated the inner CV. I switched to my shortest pry bar with the least amount of flex and a 4' galvanized pipe that I use as our patio table umbrella stand. Just prior to tool failure, it finally popped free. I'm no beast, but the amount of force it took to get this axle out was definitely not the norm.

Carry on.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

all back together, DSS didn't send me an axle nut, not the same size as the aftermarket replacement, I'm going nowhere for now. some days you should just leave things alone.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see how you managed to separate the inner CV joint.. Those are held together with snap rings and lock rings.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your pry bars are flexing too much, try something like these:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...1&blockType=G1

Depending on what you are using that may help
Old 04-23-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

I was using the Craftsman pry bars. The long one was flexing too much. Mind you, I was pulling as hard as I could while lying on my side under the car. Here's a picture of the 4' toothpick that finally did the job, and it still took a ridiculous amount of force:

And Voodoo, I guess I was incorrect by saying the CV separated. It pulled apart far enough that it took some effort to get what felt like splines lined up again before I could collapse it and re-inflate the boot. It was an aftermarket axle after all...

As usual, any CTS-V part is never in stock at the auto parts store. After a little internet sluething, the CTS uses the same Dorman spindle nut, 05107, M27x2.0 threads. Luckily, I was able to find one of those just before closing time.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's all about providing an impulse/impact, not a constant force. I used a rubber mallet on a metal bar and it popped that baby right out. If you ever have to do this again, hammer, not pulling.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Believe you me, Mr. Smashy (my 5lb mini sledge) as well ad a dead blow hammer were all employed before 4 feet of leverage enhancement finally did the trick.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah ok, you hadn't mentioned the hammers, just pulling. I agree that sounds like a mis-sized snap ring.

Quick Reply: Can't get driver's side axle out of diff