Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Audio System Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Audio System Options

Soooo I'm dying to throw some music in my V, as I have a full JL system from a previous truck. anyways I could easily buy a dash kit and a double din and be done.... buuuttt something is telling me to keep the stock HU so i have all the cars info on the screen. so ive looked in the sound processors the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 to be exact. these systems are amazing but very expensive so i wondered what you guys have done? is there anything ill lose with a double din other than all the "diagnostic" info you can select to be displayed?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a base radio from a CTS and chop out the cd changer area and install a double din below that. Having the radio flashed to your car before chopping it up you can retain the driver info center and factory volume ****
Old 06-12-2016, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99camaroY87
You can get a base radio from a CTS and chop out the cd changer area and install a double din below that. Having the radio flashed to your car before chopping it up you can retain the driver info center and factory volume ****
Im sorry, but im completely lost. I read this like 3 times and still dont get why I would get a base radio and chop it up and still install a double din? IF ANYTHING why wouldnt I chop the stock unit?

I feel like this is a "bad" joke and you basically saying nope there isnt any options lol
Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only joke was the system from the factory.

What he's referring to is what some others have done to retain certain stock functions like diagnostics. The base model's dash layout is different and has a separate notification screen near the top where your info and warnings would be displayed. There is more room below to fab in a double din radio to have the best of both worlds. I'm sure someone who has done it may chime in with links and photos soon enough.

Most of us just deal with it, install a new sub either in the deck or the more standard box with a line converter to the amp and run an iPod link through one of the XM antenna inputs.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The only joke was the system from the factory.

What he's referring to is what some others have done to retain certain stock functions like diagnostics. The base model's dash layout is different and has a separate notification screen near the top where your info and warnings would be displayed. There is more room below to fab in a double din radio to have the best of both worlds. I'm sure someone who has done it may chime in with links and photos soon enough.

Most of us just deal with it, install a new sub either in the deck or the more standard box with a line converter to the amp and run an iPod link through one of the XM antenna inputs.
If someone has pics and could tell me how they did it and it doesn't look like a hack job that does sound pretty good, tell me more about this iPod link through the xm input! Is this an input on back of the radio? Rca?
Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Also.... If I did decided to do away with it all together and put in a double din. Is there ANYTHING major that I wouldn't be able to be notified about via gauges and CELs??! Don't get me wrong I'd kinda like to keep the average mpg and outside temp and what knot but I don't nessicerly HAVE to have it. That being said I really haven't dug into all the settings and features to know if there is more info or displays that I might not wanna miss. I THOUGHT I read some where about someone saying once they put aftermarket radio it messed up other fictions of their V such as not being able to enter comp mode and maybe a few others?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

The iPod link is done two ways. Either through a plug and play unit such as this: https://www.amazon.com/USA-PA15-VETT.../dp/B0047XQYCE

Or just get a Male to Male headphone jack cable, cut one side off and splice it into the XM antenna input on the back of the stock head unit. It is then functional under the XM1 radio selection.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The iPod link is done two ways. Either through a plug and play unit such as this: https://www.amazon.com/USA-PA15-VETT.../dp/B0047XQYCE

Or just get a Male to Male headphone jack cable, cut one side off and splice it into the XM antenna input on the back of the stock head unit. It is then functional under the XM1 radio selection.

I take it the xm plugs into a 3.5 mm jack and so you unplug xm wire and just plug in a aux cord via male to male adapter? Or you actually have to hard wire it?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the deal:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ity-audio.html

I intend to do this as one of my last mods..picked up a base radio in the meantime and it looks like this(yeah; should have taken it out of the wrap/inspected a little better within the eBay money-back timeframe but I guess I'll have one to screw up):

Almost like that square down there was intended to be an aftermarket screen. And you get to keep some important stuff like competitive driving mode, and some other diag info. The guy goes through it pretty thoroughly.

Last edited by Mercier; 06-12-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mercier
Here's the deal:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ity-audio.html

I intend to do this as one of my last mods..picked up a base radio in the meantime and it looks like this(yeah; should have taken it out of the wrap/inspected a little better within the eBay money-back timeframe but I guess I'll have one to screw up):

Almost like that square down there was intended to be an aftermarket screen. And you get to keep some important stuff like competitive driving mode, and some other diag info. The guy goes through it pretty thoroughly.

I couldn't see the finished product on those threads.... But I'm sure it would look pretty cool!! I will say that's ALOT of work lol. The headache of going to the dealer alone is enough to make me say screw it lol. I wish someone made a line converter that was actually worth a damn. Every time I used one in a friends car who wouldn't cough up money for dash kit and head unit it always seemed like when hey finally did do it the "right" way the bass always got a lot louder! The stock speakers sounding clearer are a given lol
Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had very good success at modifying the Peripheral line adapter which uses the classII from the HU for volume control.

The transformers are junk, so I use a Burr Brown chip to convert the differential signal from the HU to single ended.

http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/...6630-a-mac-d-v
Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I have had very good success at modifying the Peripheral line adapter which uses the classII from the HU for volume control.

The transformers are junk, so I use a Burr Brown chip to convert the differential signal from the HU to single ended.

http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/...6630-a-mac-d-v
I doubt I have the brains for that... Wanna sale me one?! Lmao
Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voluptuous-V
Im sorry, but im completely lost. I read this like 3 times and still dont get why I would get a base radio and chop it up and still install a double din? IF ANYTHING why wouldnt I chop the stock unit?

I feel like this is a "bad" joke and you basically saying nope there isnt any options lol
In retrospect my wording may have been a little confusing......guess that's what I get for trying to multitask...... I actually purchased a base radio with intent to do this project myself but have since stalled out in lieu of other projects. However, with the photo posted above image a double din where the stock CD changer would be. If wired correctly, the factory volume **** can still be used to control volume as it is wired directly to the bose amplifier (in my experience with double dins the volume controls left a lot to be desired). Flashing the base unit to your VIN will retain all functionality of your DIC on the smaller display. Shop around and you may be able to find a dealer who has a reasonable charge to do the flash. Installing the base unit in your car to take to the dealer to flash should only take a couple minutes. I sourced my base unit on my local Craigslist for $50.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt I have the brains for that... Wanna sale me one?! Lmao
I have a spare if you want to go that route.
You would lose the chimes and Onstar.

With the convertor at least you can dump the Bose amp.
The OEM HU puts out a decent signal.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

I couldn't see the finished product on those threads.... But I'm sure it would look pretty cool!! I will say that's ALOT of work lol. The headache of going to the dealer alone is enough to make me say screw it lol. I wish someone made a line converter that was actually worth a damn. Every time I used one in a friends car who wouldn't cough up money for dash kit and head unit it always seemed like when hey finally did do it the "right" way the bass always got a lot louder! The stock speakers sounding clearer are a given lol
3rd page toward the bottom...a little buried.

Last edited by Mercier; 06-13-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mercier
3rd page toward the bottom...a little buried.

i "found" them, they just wouldnt show lol if that makes sense... thy said loading the whole time. maybe cuz i was on my phone! that is beautiful
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99camaroY87
In retrospect my wording may have been a little confusing......guess that's what I get for trying to multitask...... I actually purchased a base radio with intent to do this project myself but have since stalled out in lieu of other projects. However, with the photo posted above image a double din where the stock CD changer would be. If wired correctly, the factory volume **** can still be used to control volume as it is wired directly to the bose amplifier (in my experience with double dins the volume controls left a lot to be desired). Flashing the base unit to your VIN will retain all functionality of your DIC on the smaller display. Shop around and you may be able to find a dealer who has a reasonable charge to do the flash. Installing the base unit in your car to take to the dealer to flash should only take a couple minutes. I sourced my base unit on my local Craigslist for $50.

is the reason i couldnt use the HU volume **** because of the Bose?!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I have a spare if you want to go that route.
You would lose the chimes and Onstar.

With the convertor at least you can dump the Bose amp.
The OEM HU puts out a decent signal.

are we talking about a line converter to add RCAs for a sub amp? or your talking about the actual converter you need to install a HU and retain on-star? sorry it threw me off whenb you said ill lose chimes and on star cause when i put a system in my last caddy i had to buy the 100 dollar box that converter the harness for the HU and retains the on-star and chimes

also, how would i tie in the stock headunit to the door speakers? arent they hooked to bose amp? which is?? under the center console?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been covered pretty in depth, on both forums. If you're going to do it yourself, find the threads, read them all, and go to town. If you use a shop, bring them your car, a CTS base model radio in good cosmetic condition, and a fist full of cash.

This was the only route I ever considered for my install based on functionality and stock looks. I couldn't get the stock Bose and Nav system out of my car fast enough.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
This has been covered pretty in depth, on both forums. If you're going to do it yourself, find the threads, read them all, and go to town. If you use a shop, bring them your car, a CTS base model radio in good cosmetic condition, and a fist full of cash.

This was the only route I ever considered for my install based on functionality and stock looks. I couldn't get the stock Bose and Nav system out of my car fast enough.

That is amazing!!! You did it yourself?! I'll have to find these threads you speak of! I wish I had a member close to me who has done this!

Quick Reply: Audio System Options