Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Katech Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Katech Short Throw Shifter

hey all you CTS-V owners, have you seen Katech's new website. They have a short throw shifter and a buch of other stuff. I think they are still updating it as some of the pages aren't working. www.katechengines.com Check it out
Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Katech is a well and respected name and they have some nice things to offer.
A few guys have put the Katech shifter in, most liked it. A couple mentioned noise, and one didn't like the noise so much that he yanked it out in favor of the stock shifter.
There are a few choices now;
Katech, Mallet, and the UUC all would be better than stock in my opinion.
I haven't seen any in person so I can't judge for myself which is better. I was very close to getting the Katech when UUC started taking pre-orders for theirs. I ended up going with the UUC after lasstss talk so highly of it, after all he did most of the R&D from the way I read his posts.
Any of the three have to be better than stock, draw numbers if you have too.. lol

Bill-05-V
Old 04-28-2005, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

I would like one; I just hate the thought of taking the car half apart..... Guess I am getting lazy, or frustrated with dumb designs.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Teching In

For what it's worth, the Katech shifter transmits a lot of noise into the cabin. It did quiet down substantially after I swapped the stock shifter **** for a C5R one made of Delrin. I think that the fact that the C5R shifter had much more thread engagement is what did it. It still made too much noise for me so I then wrapped a little dynamat around the stalk and that helped some but not as much as swapping the shifter ****. Don't get me wrong the throws are tons better thank stock ever was and much more precise. I also like the fact that it is threaded so you can go with an aftermarket shift ****. The only drawback however is the noise issue. Others with the UUC shifter have stated that they have not experienced any noise related problems. I don't recall seeing any feed back on the mallet.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas V
For what it's worth, the Katech shifter transmits a lot of noise into the cabin. It did quiet down substantially after I swapped the stock shifter **** for a C5R one made of Delrin. I think that the fact that the C5R shifter had much more thread engagement is what did it. It still made too much noise for me so I then wrapped a little dynamat around the stalk and that helped some but not as much as swapping the shifter ****. Don't get me wrong the throws are tons better thank stock ever was and much more precise. I also like the fact that it is threaded so you can go with an aftermarket shift ****. The only drawback however is the noise issue. Others with the UUC shifter have stated that they have not experienced any noise related problems. I don't recall seeing any feed back on the mallet.
Is the UUC threaded?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Question for Texas V

I ordered the C5R shift **** to use with my Katech shifter but it is not threaded. Did you use the tap Katech supplied to thread it?

Last edited by Chiro v; 05-18-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

I am going with the UUC shifter, I ordered mine today.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:29 AM
rgd
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2005V
Is the UUC threaded?
UUC is not threaded, it's nice though!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rgd
UUC is not threaded, it's nice though!
I am in the market for the UUC shifter and was wondering what all was involved to install. If it is not threaded how does the **** attach? Allen screw or something like that. Will the stock shift **** fit back on the new shifter.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

snaps on the top, stock **** snaps back on the uuc shifter. i have both and like the uuc wayyyyyyyyyy better. i you want a katech, I got one to sell. katech has better shifter engagement but makes noise. I have a new born and a 2 year old can't take the noise.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

how much do you wan for the katech
Old 01-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

email me direct morrell276@aol.com
Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the katech personally. Just for the more POSITIVE feel. I admit, sometimes it can transmit some noise but, there are ways around it. Wraping it....dynamat...etc etc.

UUC is nice but, feels a LITTLE bit, flimsy.

J
Old 01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

V-series tech
I saw you are in south florida, I was wondering if you know any performance shops that will do tunning on the V (dyno tunning)
let me know
thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alcast082
V-series tech
I saw you are in south florida, I was wondering if you know any performance shops that will do tunning on the V (dyno tunning)
let me know
thanks

Sure do!

I'll send you some information.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

nice, My email is alcast082@msn.com
Old 01-09-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Im having an issue where the stock shift boot is rotating around and creating a "creak" kinda noise. With the aftermarket shifters, is this addressed and fixed or is this somthing i should expect and try to move on?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by obZidian
Im having an issue where the stock shift boot is rotating around and creating a "creak" kinda noise. With the aftermarket shifters, is this addressed and fixed or is this somthing i should expect and try to move on?

If you mean it's twisting,....while in your hand. We,..or should I say a dealer can replace that,....I would think no charge.

The Katech shifter....you would remove your existing BALL,...cut off the tabs on the bottom,....and then TAP the shifter ball with the TAP included with the shifter.

It would most likely solve your problems with shifter ***** coming off under hard shifts,..or any twisting that it may be doing now.

J
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

basically, when shifting, she squeaks....because when changing positions, the boot rotates on the shofter and creates friction therefore the noise.

Jaime, how late you gonna be there at the dealer tonight?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by obZidian
basically, when shifting, she squeaks....because when changing positions, the boot rotates on the shofter and creates friction therefore the noise.

Jaime, how late you gonna be there at the dealer tonight?

I pretty much lsleep here dude.

Tonight,...ahhh......dunno. Call me on my cell. If your going to come in,..I will wait for you. Just tell me roughly when you can be here,..and i'll be here.

J

Quick Reply: Katech Short Throw Shifter