Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?
The 05 CTS-V (MSRP $54,500) in stock form for about $31k
87.18%
The 05 STS V8 (MSRP $6x,000) for $29k
10.26%
The STS V8 with rims for and extra $2,300 for $31,300
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

2005 Cts-V or 2005 STS V8 for DD? Poll!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 2005 Cts-V or 2005 STS V8 for DD? Poll!

Which would you rather have as your daily driver? Consider price. fun factor, and comfort for used versions of these cars

Please consider more than just hp here!

The STS has alot of extra options that would be nice to have. I love how the car interacts with the key fobs (dont think the 05 CTS-v has that...) heated/cooled seats, auto dimming headlights. rain sensitive wipers Of course they arent really needed, these and other little things about the STS add up to a pretty damn nice experience... MSRP for the V8 cars are up to $66,000 and can be had now for around $30k with 20-40,000 miles!

As for the CTS-V... The car looks better (stock vs stock), and is just more appealing... I think it'd be more fun to drive on a daily basis too... They're more expensive used than the STS as well...

Considering price, fun factor, comfort which would be your choice and why?

Last edited by marcus769; 01-30-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

My CTS-V has interactive key fobs and heated seats. I don't think the head lifht autodim and my wipers don't turn on automatically. I love my V more than any other car I've had. I've had a buick grand national, CBR 600RR crotch rocket, and a notch back mustang on spray. V is much better car than the ones I listed but I've never been in a sts V. I cant see a sts being more fun than the cts.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted '05 V, but I wouldn't pay $31k for it. There's much better pricing to be had if you're diligent.

Good luck!
99 FRC
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I have an '06 CTS-V and my boss has an '05 STS V8. I took a short ride in the STS, but have never owned one myself.
The new body styles of both are similar.
IMHO, even though I chose the V for my DD, I'd say the STS is a better DD, for the following reasons (again, this is only MY take on it):
STS is more comfortable size-wise (I'm 6'1" 230lbs, have a young child and currently drive about 22k miles per year), has vented seats (I live in AZ), gets better MPG (I'm only averaging 16MPG in my V w/mixed driving), body styles are similar (V looks better due to body kit, I think though), is a slush box (may not matter, depending on how traffic is in your area), is still no slouch when it comes to power.
I went the V route since they aren't as common, I wanted to go back to a manual, exterior aesthetics are a bit better, more power, and (this is a very small consideration, but it factored into the decision for me) I don't like fingerprints on my screen (STS has touch screen NAV).
As with any decision, the ultimate choice comes down to your gut feeling after driving both cars. The V is DEFINITELY more fun, but depending on your daily routine, it may or may not fit well for your DAILY situation.
P.S. You COULD buy an older STS V8 ($10k-ish) and an '04 V ($22k-ish)for about the same money you were talking about above, AND you'd get a multi-car discount on your insurance if you don't already have it...just an evil little thought
Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

I'm assuming you mean $31K is the sticker price for that V? Depending on miles, you should be able to get an '05 in mid-high 20s. If they're not budging on the 31k go somewhere else.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I daily drive my CTS-V (90 miles). I'm at 64k miles right now. This car makes commuting bearable. I have fun in my commute. That wouldn't happen with a slushie STS.

My CTS-V is not very economical DD though. It easts gas, tires, engine mounts, rear differentials. BUT you only live once, and I spend so much damned time in my car, that I'm going to have a good time while I'm in it.

My $0.02,

Chris
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Great info guys! I think i've decided to stick with the CTS-V, but I couldn't help but consider an STS of the same year do to the pricing on them (cheaper for more bells and whistles).

I would be buying them wholesale so the prices I listed for them was merely a guess as to their retail...

I'm hoping to get an 06, but i'm not going to rush into it...

Pros and cons to 05 CTS-V's vs the 06 CTS-v would be another great discussion if people could chime in, i'd appreciate it...

The main differences I have seen, which may just be the deal breaker for the 06's:

*LS2 engine (more cubes)
*Digital Onstar (no jacking around with a $500 3-year contract to get the analog upgraded)
*Most will have alot more warranty left as well...

Did i miss anything?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

More cubes doesn't mean more speed. Some people that have driven both liked the ls6 better and say it feels more lively. I think the 06 comes with the better rear end also.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would only consider the STS V8 if the following were true:

1) not getting upset when ricers challenge you at stop lights and you can kick their ****
2) hated driving a manual and/or spouse will not welcome manual car
3) plan on keeping engine bone stock-no fun in that

Sounds like you made the right choice!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcus769
Great info guys! I think i've decided to stick with the CTS-V, but I couldn't help but consider an STS of the same year do to the pricing on them (cheaper for more bells and whistles).

I would be buying them wholesale so the prices I listed for them was merely a guess as to their retail...

I'm hoping to get an 06, but i'm not going to rush into it...

Pros and cons to 05 CTS-V's vs the 06 CTS-v would be another great discussion if people could chime in, i'd appreciate it...

The main differences I have seen, which may just be the deal breaker for the 06's:

*LS2 engine (more cubes)
*Digital Onstar (no jacking around with a $500 3-year contract to get the analog upgraded)
*Most will have alot more warranty left as well...

Did i miss anything?
'06 has beffier half shafts. It also comes with integrated rear craddle bushing inserts, to help with the wheel-hop (but they don't do crap), :06+ also come from the factory with the upgrdeed rear end (however it too is a piece 'o crap, and if you get an '05, as long as you have the warranty, you'll get an '06+ rear diff soon enough anyway.)

-Chris
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Good info!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One last thing,

Here is a model year comparison in the FAQ:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html

I think that Nav Traffic was introduced in the car's built after FEB '05. So if you get an '05 check the door to see whan it was built. If it was between March and June, then you should be able to activeate the XM Nav traffic.

A lot of people don't know this, but the CTS-V was the very first car to have the XM NAV Traffic available ( a few months before the Acura RL).

Unfortunately my '05 was built in Nov '04, and doesn't have this feature.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Vee
Teching In

Originally Posted by jerrad
..... I've had a buick grand national, CBR 600RR crotch rocket, and a notch back mustang on spray. V is much better car than the ones I listed but I've never been in a sts V. I cant see a sts being more fun than the cts.

I've had 2 Buick GN's..Still have one actually, for sale.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Unreal torque for any type motor, hard to beleive a 6 makes it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which would you rather have as your daily driver? Consider price. fun factor, and comfort for used versions of these cars

The STS has alot of extra options that would be nice to have. I love how the car interacts with the key fobs (dont think the 05 CTS-v has that...) heated/cooled seats, auto dimming headlights. rain sensitive wipers Of course they arent really needed, these and other little things about the STS add up to a pretty damn nice experience... MSRP for the V8 cars are up to $66,000 and can be had now for around $30k with 20-40,000 miles!

As for the CTS-V... The car looks better (stock vs stock), and is just more appealing... I think it'd be more fun to drive on a daily basis too... They're more expensive used than the STS as well...

Man, I'm in the exact same boat looking at these two cars!!! The STS with the loaded 1SG package are a phenomenal used car value and loaded with luxury features you mentioned plus the navigation, magnetic ride, and 15 speaker bose system. By comparison the CTS is just a cheap car with a bad *** motor. The STS 1SG is no slouch performance wise though, I put up a thread on here recently of a guy claiming to have run a 13.6 and most run a 14.0 even. That is flying for a 4,000+ lb luxury car and will beat most cars on the road.

Then again, since I sold my Z28, I really miss the modding fun and would get right back into it with a CTS-V by adding a cam, intake, catback, etc. Really no market for the STS...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more thing to add - in my area all the 05 STS cars for sale by Cadillac dealerships are offering the 100K mile "Cadillac Certified Warranty" which is essentially bumper to bumper and is an amazing value. Something to consider that you'll never have to pay to replace non-wear items in that timeframe. The CTS-V wins hands down in fun factor but the STS has more technology than alot of small planes...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Teching In

As a daily driver, I chose the STS for a little more room and automatic transmission...

Quick Reply: 2005 Cts-V or 2005 STS V8 for DD? Poll!