Driveclean has changed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:10 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveclean has changed

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/news/2005/111801.htm

Reading it I think this means that we will only have ODBII port type tests (no roller test) for 1998 and up from now on. Also, a 1988-1997 model year car once it is 12 years old will need annual testing for ever! That seems ridiculous since so few of them will be on the road after 20 years. The 20 year limit always seemed practical. My old 1987 GN would have been exempt.

The old muscle cars still won't need testing.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 PM
8 Second Club

That's welcome news!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, good luck to all of you that have removed your EGR and deleted the codes. If they begin testing our cars using the OBDII port and the EGR, O2's etc have been deleted it will likely cause a fail.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:36 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brett H
LOL, good luck to all of you that have removed your EGR and deleted the codes. If they begin testing our cars using the OBDII port and the EGR, O2's etc have been deleted it will likely cause a fail.
As far as I know deleting a code means it never shows up as failing, so you pass the test. The scanner cannot actually tell that a code cannot show up, only that it see no failed internal tests.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BJM
As far as I know deleting a code means it never shows up as failing, so you pass the test. The scanner cannot actually tell that a code cannot show up, only that it see no failed internal tests.

Thats the way I understand it too. Looks like big cam and OBDII testing = pass
Old 11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

So if I install an LS6 intake and !EGR, will I pass an e-test as long as the codes are tuned out?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLCKBRD
So if I install an LS6 intake and !EGR, will I pass an e-test as long as the codes are tuned out?
I think you can turn off every code imaginable and still pass.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they're probably more concerned with the obd2 monitering tests(egr, o2's,etc). Not sure if deleting the codes will allow the computer to give the test a passing grade which could mean your car fails. Plus they still test the car the traditional way for driving, it's just the idle test they are changing
Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by augiedog77
they're probably more concerned with the obd2 monitering tests(egr, o2's,etc). Not sure if deleting the codes will allow the computer to give the test a passing grade which could mean your car fails. Plus they still test the car the traditional way for driving, it's just the idle test they are changing
Where does it say that? I read the release on the Drive Clean site and it did not say anything about those details.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by augiedog77

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/en.../PA05E0019.pdf

In section 7 at the bottom they clearly state that they want to eliminate the dyno test for 98 up vehicles.

This is to reduce the cost of maintaining the equipment. I have a friend that manages a dealership and he tells me its big $$.

A lot of this is due to input from dealerships. I know many of them regret ever installing the 80K worth of equipment that will never pay for itself.

My car has all emissions equipment present including Cats. Luckily my car also didn't come with EGR in the first place

Bottom line is no sniffer which is good. Really even with big cams the only part that was tough to pass was the curb idle so I dont really consider myself an eco offender since I'm usually at WOT
Old 11-21-2005, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Okay but as of Jan. 06 any car newer than a 98 only requires an OBDII scan to pass emissions. But what happens in a few years from now when new model year vehicles come out, would our cars soon not fall into the "once a year" catagory for testing?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay but as of Jan. 06 any car newer than a 98 only requires an OBDII scan to pass emissions. But what happens in a few years from now when new model year vehicles come out, would our cars soon not fall into the "once a year" catagory for testing?
Yes it would, your car will get scanned every year once it is 12 years old.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

So according to the current emissions standards my 99 will never need to go through sniffer emissions again?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Launching!

So according to the current emissions standards my 99 will never need to go through sniffer emissions again?

No yours will but the rest of the 98 and newer wont

Seriously though this will be subject to change again IMO, never know what the future holds.

Now it will depend on just how detailed their OBDII test is or can be with what we can actually get away with.

They currently do OBDII tests in many US States. Anyone know what is involved in the tests in some of those States?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS7SS
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/en.../PA05E0019.pdf

In section 7 at the bottom they clearly state that they want to eliminate the dyno test for 98 up vehicles.

This is to reduce the cost of maintaining the equipment. I have a friend that manages a dealership and he tells me its big $$.
I know how much it costs to maintain the equipment, but when they first brought it in, alot of people made a ton of cash

If you go to driveclean's website and look at the findings, it states:

driveclean site page 9 of 21

Implement On-Board Diagnostic System (OBDII) Testing for 1998 and Newer Gasoline Vehicles
For 1998 and newer vehicles, we recommend retaining the ASM test but replacing the post-ASM curb idle test with an OBDII test (vehicle must pass both). California tests all 1996 and newer vehicles using a 2-mode ASM test and an OBDII test. We recommend this more onerous OBDII/ASM test primarily based on three reasons:
x
ASM equipment already exists in Ontario;
x
Retaining the ASM test will provide a mechanism to monitor the accuracy of
OBDII systems, as well as estimate the cost effectiveness of repairing individual
vehicles that fail an OBDII test, as vehicles accumulate high mileage and age; and
x
Several states in the US (including California, Colorado, and Oregon) have seen
evidence of vehicles with high tailpipe emissions that have passed the OBDII test.
This may be evidence of potential errors of omission (i.e. false passes) with
certain OBDII systems.
In addition, there are uncertainties regarding OBDII performance in high mileage and/or old vehicles and in LEV, ULEV and SULEV vehicles. Retaining the ASM test allows the estimation of emission reductions from OBDII I/M testing.o

Quick Reply: Driveclean has changed