Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb vs FI Expense comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs FI Expense comparison

Hey there everyone. Been lurking for a while and just wanted to say you guys are cool for how helpful and positive all the posts are!
I just picked up an LS1/T400 for my 81 Camino Desert Truck Build. The engine came basically as a longblock, plus waterpump, alt (no bracket), factory intake and throttle body.
FI would be nice offroad for off-camber/drifting/uphill situations, but I believe an offroad carb will address that issue when it comes up. Right now I just have to get this thing running as the Elk is my DD for now. I know LS swaps aren't generally a quick undertaking, but I have time, space, and fab skills needed so Im just diving in anyway. Right now I just want to do whatever will be the least expensive option to git er dun!

From what I am gathering I can go carb for about $7-800 using my carb.
This sounds like the fastest way to get it back on the road, but if it's gonna take days to tune than maybe not...

To go FI I would need:
fuel rail
injectors
Harness
ECU, and reprogramming from what I have been reading...
possibly a couple sensors
new fuel pump setup or tank with pump assy?

How much can I expect to be spending for the factory F.I. items? I have seen some on here and ebay but I guess I just want to know whats fair so I'm not getting gouged on parts. I know theres other things I need regardless of fuel system, but that stuff will be addressed in the build thread. I will be chopping up the harness myself as well if I go that route, so that won't be a cost consideration.

Most importantly if u read this far, thanks! Let me know what you would recommend for my situation.

Last edited by inde-fab; 10-01-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

From what i see:

EFI

Intake(LS1 that wil not make as much power as more expensive intakes((LS6 and beter))) 150ish

ECM and Harness 200ish

TB 100ish

Mass air 50ish

I say 500$ if you do not need to have it tuned and are not looking for the most power for the buck, now with a cam and tune with a good intake, add 500$ or so.

For a stock EFI it is not bad, but performance wise, my carb setup was:

New Vic Jr and MSD 6010 580$, i had a carb i paid 20$ for and traded it(600) for a pro form 750.

Now, i can tune it all myself and there is no need for a bigger MAF, TB, injectors and all that crap.

So, it can be close, but if you get into all NEW parts for EFI like intakes and ect, the price goes WAY up. But then again, there are carbs out there that are not necessarily needed but can break the bank.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Carb is cheaper.... You need a high pressure fuel system and regulator for FI system.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might have to source the FI parts to get your final answer. If you buy everything new than there is no question FI is more expensive. Get stuff used and it all depends on the deal.

Would like to echo what ZONES89RS said about tuning. Paying someone to tune my car is not something I want to do, so throw in the price of HP tuners and maybe a used laptop to the price of the FI.

But at the same time if you are new to carbs the cost of an assortment of parts can add up pretty damn quick also. At a minimum a set of jets, accel cams and gaskets, plus most likely nozzles and a 50 cc pump, air bleeds. I added a wideband, but that could help tune a FI motor also.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

I would be totally happy with a bone stock FI setup, the rest of the camino is stock and it's gonna be driven by my gf till I do the chassis buildup. This is basically the powertrain mockup step, but I'm keeping it running till teardown and reassembly in a cpl months.

So u guys don't think I need the ecu tuned/reprogrammed, it will run fine???

I would also need injectors and I guess the whole high pressure system. I was told to look at rock valley for that. Is there a factory tank from another car or truck I can use to save $?

This is just a budget sleeper/dd project at this point.

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

Last edited by inde-fab; 10-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

On the flipside I'd rather be carbd for racing, tunabuility, and to keep it simple. It seems like the extra time/gas spent sourcing used parts is worth consideration too. Eventually I will prob try both setups, I just need to get it together asap and I don't have more than a g left to get it done.
there's still the t.c.,spacer,flexplate,ps pump,coil packs,fuel pump and misc bs that always adds up. I'm just trying to be real about this project and not get ahead of the bank like the other 3 projects sitting around here...lol
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

in my experience a efi setup will usually cost more
the correct tune alone will set you back over 500$
the sd tune on my efi car cost me around 650$. but it idles like stock and picked up around 20rw going from maf. its dead on.
but that does not include the injectors i have. which cost me around 370$.
fuel rails 150$
fpr 150$
Old 10-01-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I wanted to add if this is just a daily driver with no hard core racing then you don't need to sump the tank for FI. Just always keep over a quarter tank, maybe more if you are going to beat on it. Upgrading the tank is definitely something you can do later on. An internal fuel pump is nice but an external will get the job done.

I would also strongly consider picking up a used motor to get all your FI bits and coil packs and maybe other accesories.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure I'm comitting to the carb route. I'm waiting one more week to research before droppin coin.
As a fabricator I look at the intakes as something I can probobly make... So what intake has the best performance in the mid-range? Maybe you guys can help me create a product others would like.
I was already looking forward to building some headers, seems the g-body guys need a couple more options there too.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Sheet metal? Lets see it!

Vic Jr is the way to go unless you want the most out of a combo, then a Super Vic is the one.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by inde-fab
I'm pretty sure I'm comitting to the carb route. I'm waiting one more week to research before droppin coin.
As a fabricator I look at the intakes as something I can probobly make... So what intake has the best performance in the mid-range? Maybe you guys can help me create a product others would like.
I was already looking forward to building some headers, seems the g-body guys need a couple more options there too.
consider the super victor, it will have room to grow .
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemeSS
consider the super victor, it will have room to grow .
assuming u mean it is better for higher hp applications? How much taller is the super? Which design would offer the best throttle response and midrange power? I'm not building a drag motor, I'm putting together a package that will be run hard for up to 20 hrs (baja1k) so midrange power, reliability, and fuel consumption are all considerations. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Vic Jr sounds like it is calling your name, the Super Vic is for top end peak numbers, while the Vic Jr is the best well rounded intake IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by inde-fab
assuming u mean it is better for higher hp applications? How much taller is the super? Which design would offer the best throttle response and midrange power? I'm not building a drag motor, I'm putting together a package that will be run hard for up to 20 hrs (baja1k) so midrange power, reliability, and fuel consumption are all considerations. Thanks for the input!
it is aprox. 1in higher than the jr. the plenum, runners are of a different design. the runners are longer, has more metal for porting and mating flanges are thicker. i would assume it is better suited for higher hp applications. im gonna use it on my 8.5:1 scr 4.8 with stock cam.
and plan on pumpin up to 20psi thru it full trim. imo i would use it anywhere it fits under the hood. over the jr.