Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Edelbrock box, What pill for stock lq4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock box, What pill for stock lq4?

I tryed searching to help find a clue, but didnt find much.

I have a 1985 trans am with a stock lq4 in it with the vic jr. intake with a holley 670 street avenger on it. Just want to know what a good pill to start with is? I have number 1 in there now and it sorta runs like crap, but that could be due to alot of stuff because i have got to get it tuned good yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with the most aggressive, but really, just start going up chips, one at a time driving under different loads, part throttle and full throttle, note which did what and how and then go to the chip you think was the best.

Otherwise, sell the edelbrock piece to soeone that isnt looking for max power and get a MSD 6010 unit.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Go with the most aggressive, but really, just start going up chips, one at a time driving under different loads, part throttle and full throttle, note which did what and how and then go to the chip you think was the best.

Otherwise, sell the edelbrock piece to soeone that isnt looking for max power and get a MSD 6010 unit.
I dont want to sound like Iam stepping on any toes but if iam correct,MSD makes both ECMs. Please correct me if I am wrong! I am currently using the Edelbrock and the MSD units. There both marked with an MSD. If you look at both ECMs, they (look) identical. Just my $.02.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 AM
In-Zane Moderator

The edelbrock unit is not tunable with a lap top to customize your timing curves, 2 step rev limiter, nitrous retard, map retard/advance settings, ect.

Just FYI.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are both made by MSD but like zones said the edlebrock box can't be programmed by a laptop. Only pills. For some reason edlebrock had MSD delete the laptop hook up. i don't think you can even change the rev limiter with the edlebrock box.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS

Eventually thats what ill do. But its just stock right now and i want to daily drive it till the weather gets warm again. So ill try that just keep going up in the pills
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
They are both made by MSD but like zones said the edlebrock box can't be programmed by a laptop. Only pills. For some reason edlebrock had MSD delete the laptop hook up. i don't think you can even change the rev limiter with the edlebrock box.
I'm not sure the Edelbrock box has the rev limiter, or maybe it does now, but did'nt at first. I mentioned a dyno test I had seen in Feb '05 Hot Rod Magazine in another thread recently. The article stated that all tests were run with the #6 Edelbrock timing pill and it was the first test I had seen of the new Edelbrock timing box. Every test went to 6600 RPM. I think my MSD 6010 box was set at 5500 RPM when I first got it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

LOL, man, when i got my car first running and took it for a spin, i hit the 5500 wall with a Trex cam, i was like ,"WTF? The party is just getting started!"
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Hmm intresting ill def try going up in the chips
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even with the #1 pill it should Run correct. U sure u ain't got vacuum leak or some other issue? Instead of blaming on the box
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Not blaming the box just wanted to cancel that option out and make sure its not completly off. But i think i figured out why it was running like crap. Leaking needle and seat, or bad float. Also fuel pressure was at 3psi, when i turned it up the gas came out of the vent tube. So replaced the needle and seat tonight and set fuel pressure. putting the fuel bowl back on tmo, being that its about -10 out right now

Quick Reply: Edelbrock box, What pill for stock lq4?