Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

who make summitracing carbs?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who make summitracing carbs?

who makes they're carbs and are they any good? they look just like a holley. i need a 750 with mechanical secondaries for my new 383.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably a remanned holley, i would have no problem using one.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they were different, they split apart from the middle, like the whole top comes off.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holley made a 4010 carb that had the whole top split off like that. A buddy of mine has them on his boat.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ded%20View.pdf

From what I have read Summit took over making them. I don't know where or who they have making them. My guess the guys making them had egg rolls for lunch though.

Pretty good thread on them here.

The Summit carb is a redo of the old Ford 4100 four barrel that came out about the same time as the Holley end bowl carb in 1957 to augment production rates that Holley couldn't keep up with. This thing became an Autolite and then Motorcraft item after Ford was forced by Federal court to divest its holdings in Autolite. It was used in production from 1957 through 1969 in several sizes on the Y block in 57, the FE's and MELs, and the Windsor engines through 69.

The version Holley made and sold, then Summit have had some modifications made since the Ford days such as centering the float pivot in the bowl, using an external fuel supply for the front and rear bowls, removing the secondary vacuum actuation diaphragm from integrated with the rear float bowl casting replacing it with a Holley style side mount. It retains the very nice removable annular booster cluster and the trash prone position of the main jets and power valve on the bottom of the float bowls. These use standard Holley parts just in a different position, unfortunately this position does collect junk that comes in with the fuel, but today's better filtration should cure much of that.

Here's some history the first picture at the bottom is the original 4100
http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/autolitecarbs.html

Here's an article on the Holley version, he gets his history about this thing wrong.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ind...-road-test.html

It's actually a decent carb; many millions were out there in through the 1960's. From a hot rodders stand point it’s not as easy to work on as the Holley simply because the power valve is only accessible by removing the carb from the engine 'cause its housing is on the underside of the primary float bowl. For a racer this would be real PIA but for a set and forget street engine this is not a problem.

All-in-all, this is a decent carb that will do anything the equivalent Holley will do and with those annular boosters show a little better gas mileage doing it.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 06-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit is a great place to buy from. I live next to the one in GA. I know that all the parts I have bought that where "Summit" labeled, where actually another brand. I don't want to say that's true about all there parts but from what I have seen and bought, it is.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I was thinking of the summit replacements, sorry.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08750MS/?rtype=1

this is the one i was looking at. i found used double pumpers from $200+ w/o shipping and i would have to rebuild just to be safe. also hope all the pieces are there lol. i mean $300 isnt a bad deal imo, especially when a new holley is alot more.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Actually ran one of these when they were made by holley,one of the best carbs I ever used.ill be gettin one for my 3rd gen camaro.killer price too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who make summitracing carbs?