Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone have a msd box go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have a msd box go bad?

6012 box
For the last week I've been chasing a misfire on my boat. I know what cylinder it was because I could feel the header tube after running it. Then on Saturday I was running and all of a sudden it shut off and wouldn't refire. I ruled out all the easy stuff like fuel, grounds, connections, etc. the only thing I can think is the box went out. Does msd rebuild these?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive heard of it, never experienced it. I know you can send most if not ALL MSD stuff back to have it 'refreshed/rebuilt'.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If msd can't get there quality control figured out then that mallory LS box looks better every day...
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to send my 6010 back for repair/replacement. Luckily it was still underwarry, they sent me a new one within a few weeks at no charge.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
9 Second Club

Few weeks? That's what worries me. My buddies burned up, I had one on the shelf for my build, so I put it on his car to not miss any races. Sent his back and no word yet. Now I'm a couple weeks away from needing one. Hope they get it soon.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

That Mallory unit is pricy
What's the warranty on a 6012 box?
The thing that's really upsetting is this box lasted a little over a year, but it's on a boat that only sees use six months out of the year, 2 days, every other weekend. So it has a total run time of maybe 40-50 hours tops.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The turn around time is why I bought a spare box to use if another one fails. I got a pretty good deal on one that I bought from another ls1tech member. It sucks having to spend money on a spare but a bad box won't keep the car off the track/road now....its just other stuff lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Just talked to msd, he thinks it may be a crank sensor. Also 6012 boxes aren't repairable.
The boat is in AZ, I'm in CA. It will be a few weeks until I can test it. It will be an awesome weekend if I go out there and the crank sensor is good and the box is bad with no replacement.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

hook a laptop up to it and see if it communicates. when the one in my car **** the bed it started hitting the wrong cylinders while cranking, started smoking and then nothing. hooked a laptop up to it and no communication.

brought it into sk and they got me back on the road right quick.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Dont know the warranty time on these. I have never had one go bad and i use more than anyone of this site probably, had a friend fry one due to bad ground. MSD warrantied the 6010, they did not rebuild/repair, they sent a new one. So now i have a spare 6010 harness, LOL.

The quality of them is damn good as far as i am concerned, other things an go bad. A coil, crank sensor, ect. The 6010 is not repairable i assume if they replaced the one my buddy used. I have personally built 7 or 8 cars with them and none went bad, jus the one a friend used because he tried to ground it poorly. A boat is different, but if it was direct to the battery with a simple solenoid and cut off, then that is probably unusual. No water hot in it i assume? I had a missfire from spraying mine. It cleared up though.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we thought we had a problem with our msd box. chased the problem for a week. we found it.. talked to msd tech line 4 or 5 times last friday and edgar really knows his chit. now its off to callies.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a msd box go bad?-65-chevy-ii075.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994z
we thought we had a problem with our msd box. chased the problem for a week. we found it.. talked to msd tech line 4 or 5 times last friday and edgar really knows his chit. now its off to callies.
Ouch! Was that making any noise?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That would peace me off.....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Ouch! Was that making any noise?
couldnt tell on the noise its in a race car with open headers. you could barely see where it was rubbing the main cap, kinda left a shinny mark on it. talked to callies friday they said they had gotten a bad batch of wheels from gm that went on these cranks from november of last year till march of this year. so were having a billet one put on. we got about 12 passes on it before we went to commerce for the chp race, first pass at about 1000 ft. mark it sounded like it hit the rev. limiter he backed off and let it coast till the turn off. made it to the trailer and shut it off hasnt ran since. till i talked to edgar at msd tech we went thru some stuff, then he had me set the inital timing to 45 degrees straight across the board and it fired up and ran. i tried setting it at 35 and 55 degrees all it would do is backfire thru the carb. thats when he came to the conclusion it spun the reluctor wheel. pulled the crank and there it was.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bad67ls
hook a laptop up to it and see if it communicates.
I was thinking the same thing. When you hook up a lap top it gives you total run time on the box.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to wait a few weeks until I can get back out to the river to test. I'll come back with my findings
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tennerv8
If msd can't get there quality control figured out then that mallory LS box looks better every day...
I looked at the mallory box, the problem with it is you have to add the distributor system to your Ls for it to work, it is not a plug and go like the MSD.

now as for the problems with the msd box, Yes i have had mine go bad! it stopped telling the coils to spark. I sent mine in and got another box pluged it in and as soon as i did i heard a pop from inside the box. I dont know what it was but I am very lost now trying to figure out what is causing the problem with the box. I have been on with MSD trying to figure out testing of any thing that plugs into the harness and I still cant find a problem. the only thing we can figure out is the I have a shorted out coil and it is back feeding into the box. but the only way I can test the coils is to power them up with the box. If I do that again it may pop the box again so now I have to replace all the coils to eliminate that possibility. sorry about the rant got carried away with my problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

MSD 6010 Limited Warranty
1 year from time of purchase, under normal use when properly installed and purchased from an authorized dealer.
Warranty is VOID if purchased through an auction website.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been chasing a skipping condition @ 5,000RPM with my car. Talked with MSD last week and they suggested another ground. Have not done a road test yet to see if it helps. Checked every other thing I could think of as the culprit. My 6010 has only 46 hrs on it, can't imagine it could be bad, motor runs like a champ up to that rpm point. Really frustrated with it!

UPDATE: the extra ground did nothing, still no good. Pulled it today and off to MSD to check it out

Last edited by bluethunder364; 07-16-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumpn
. but the only way I can test the coils is to power them up with the box.
Should be a simple matter to test the coils individually using nothing more than 12V power and a 9V battery as a trigger signal.

Try a youtube search, I'll be a dollar someone has posted a video.

Should be hellaciously cheaper than replacing the full set of coils.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a msd box go bad?