Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

easiest 98+ ls1 catback install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question easiest 98+ ls1 catback install

Hey all...

I'm headed over this weekend to pick up my 2000 camaro! woo hoo!

Already digging into mods for it, as some may remember, I had my 97 formula smacked by a granny and her insurance company totalled her out...however when I got the car I had the plates "346-UPG" given to me from the guy behind the desk....346(LS1) UPG (Upgrade)....I've been on a mission from god in search of the engine touched by himself....and now I have the ultimate upgrade!

Anyhow, I'll be doing the 10 or so free mods for it by myself, however I know little to nothing about doing my own catback install on a 98+ ls1 fbod...dont know if the borla's easier than the corsa or the corsa's easier than the flowmaster...I'm on a price crunch so I might have to settle for either SLP Is with a race muffler with my 3'' cutout I bought for my bird that'll go right off the Y pipe or just go for the flowmaster...or save up...I'm in a fix...

Just wondering if there's any guides on how to do it...yes, I've " " to no avail, I think it was super chevy that had an article where they were installing hooker shorties and a borla catback (and the passenger cat pipe needed to be bent?) Just wondering if I could do this by myself and my buddy over a course of 2 days (on a weekend).

I'm just glad I'm making the LS1 upgrade...I will truely miss my LT1 and it's torque monster-ness...but I think I'll learn to love my new and fond LS1

Thanks for the help gents, and if you could...for the people posting some links or jotting down a short guide on how to do a catback install (include any problems or the parts where you swore the most and bled like a virgin) just include how you like the tone of your catback and if you wished to do something else.

I'm not going to go insane with my car...maybe MAYBE a mild cam down the line, but mainly its going to be simple bolt ons and I'm just going to go through the tranny when I get it (the glorious 4l60e! WOO, had nightmares with mine in my old bird) If that will majorly effect on what catback I should get or not.

I'll stop my rant, thanks fellas
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sound and power it's hard to beat a Magnaflow. All catbacks install about the same, it's pretty self explanatory once you get it and lay it all out.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

They're all pretty easy to install. I'd pick based on sound/appearance rather than install.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They're all pretty easy to install. I'd pick based on sound/appearance rather than install.

Oh without a doubt, but on the easy factor...magnaflow? Can I do this with a hacksaw and some simple hand tools over a weekend?

Thanks for the posts guys
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phrozen755
Oh without a doubt, but on the easy factor...magnaflow? Can I do this with a hacksaw and some simple hand tools over a weekend?

Thanks for the posts guys
There shouldn't be any sawing involved. Just some clamps and a couple of hours at the most.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by phrozen755
magnaflow? Can I do this with a hacksaw and some simple hand tools over a weekend?
Sure.

Hacksaw (I prefer a sawzall) will be needed to cut the stock exhaust off unless you want to pull the shock mount and jack the body up high enough to remove the stock system in one piece.

I've owned/installed a few different LS1 catback systems:

Magnaflow
Flowmaster
SLP 2OTL
SLP dual/dual
SLP Loudmouth
Bassani

And I've listened to many others in person with various cam/manifold/header/cat/ combos, including:

Corsa
Borla
Random Tech
Mufflex (with both spintech and flowmaster mufflers)
GMMG
Hooker

Magnaflow is nice, but it's not my top choice unless money is a factor. It's a good system for the money but there are more pricey systems I like better.

After trying many, Bassani is my first choice. Next would be GMMG. I also really like SLP 2OTL, but you can't buy that one new anymore and it's kinda a "love it or hate it" type system because of the two tail pipes out the left side only (looks like an '04 GTO exhaust). But the 2OTL sound is simply amazing with a nice cam, headers and no cats. Not excessivly loud, but very burbly and totally unique.

Still though, overall I like Bassani the best taking all catigories into consideration (sound, power, appearance, quality, install). Only problem is the price.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

SLP loudmouth was sooo easy to install
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine came with a borla, so I dind't install it, but I did need to adjust it a bit and it was all assembled with huge bandclamps, nice setup. Looked like had to be on the easier side for installs. I loosened up some of the clamps to reposition the exhaust when I bought it. I like the sound too btw. I would definitely recommend it.

Quick Reply: easiest 98+ ls1 catback install