Sponsored by:

Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Romulus22
Passenger side in the block.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I never noticed it's home.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Not as much progress this weekend but it's in the right direction atleast.

Obviously after shortening the oil pan the pickup is no longer suitable. It was a rather simple task of shortening the same amount as the pan.

Thankfully the bend was just shy of 3 inches so it wouldn't be skewed when welded back together.

I dual passed the pickup. After losing the 205 to a cracked pick up, I have no intentions of losing another engine to such things. Unfortunately due to the positioning of my internal baffles adding a second brace was not possible. I don't think it will have any issue supporting the shorter pick up now that I removed the wierd bend.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I ordered the fittings for my fuel cell as well as my oil return fitting and my drain plug. In the mean time I'm going to plug away at my tube front. The main structure is going to be your standard 1.5" DOM but my lights, turbo, intercooler, radiator, and the one piece front clip is going to held in place by an aluminum core support.

I finished boxing in my lower frame rails and then capped them in preparation for the main lower tubes.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

My goodies showed up from summit midweek.

A little over 1000 cubic inches of race fuel safe foam

A filtered rollover vent

My cell cap

And two -10 fittings for my oil return and fuel feed and a -8 return fitting. My drill press worked flawlessly and I welded in the turbo oil return to the side of the pan rather than the timing cover.

Canton supplied me with a hex drain plug that put into the passenger side expansion.

I didn't get a chance to start on my cell because I was rebuilding a skeg on a boat.

I plan to have the cell tacked together next weekend, maybe welded if all goes well.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

The fuel cell took me a little longer than I hoped but it's progressing quite nicely.

I started with a 16×16×10 box. This should be just shy of 12 gallons with the foam installed. You can see in the picture the foam holders I welded inside it.

I then shaped the rear facing sump. They're a -10 feed and a -8 return.

After that I capped the bottom of the sump off. My thinking is, that if it all drains to the rear and center, I should never starve the pump. The sump itself should hold a little over a gallon.

With the foam installed

All I have left to do is cap the top and weld in my vent barb and filler neck. In the mean time I'll leave you with some close up weld goodies.

dum
Old 10-15-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Finished up my cell this weekend and got the materials to mount it and my battery box in the trunk.

And some more welds

Next week I'll get it mounted and decide on my vent location.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Looking good!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by biketopia
Looking good!
Thanks!

I skipped a weekend working on it for my birthday but I'm back on track now. Some exciting news before the update though. When I purchased my engine I bought it under the pretense that my engine was a 3rd gen LS with the weaker rods and pistons and also press fit wrist pins. After browsing through the sloppy mechanics wiki it turns out my engine is actually a crossover year. I've got a 3rd gen block with a rear cam sensor but it has the gen 4 internals.

I built a "cage" to house the fuel cell out of .5×.5" square tubing. Then added sheet to the top of it to keep any dust or contaminents from the trunk. I'll be seam sealing all the places the sheet meets to further waterproof anything incase I get caught out in the rain.

Now that my cell is mounted, all I have left is to plumb it, injectors, pump, and a stand alone before this thing fires up N/A. By the time it runs I'll have enough saved up to purchase all the turbo goodies.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell yea man! That's awesome news on the engine, plust always making good noticeable progress.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Hell yea man! That's awesome news on the engine, plust always making good noticeable progress.
If I keep steady progress it's alot easier to keep momentum. Rebuilding an entire car from scratch gets very daunting.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS
If I keep steady progress it's alot easier to keep momentum. Rebuilding an entire car from scratch gets very daunting.
haha I hear you, you're re engineering an entire car. The only think left alone is the roof and doors, for the moment.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

haha I hear you, you're re engineering an entire car. The only think left alone is the roof and doors, for the moment.
Roof is going to stay stock because an Aeroism carbon skin is close to 5k$ last time I checked. Same with the doors unfortunately but I really enjoy power windows and power locks.

It's starting to look like a car again! I made the decision to keep the stock truck intake manifold. For 500$ I could build my own high rise intake and pray it flows as good as one of the tested after market ones, or cough up the extra coin and scoop a holley hi-ram. The one thing all the high rise intakes have in common is they come into contact with my cowl and don't clear the hood. The hood issue is easily remedied but the cowl needed to be cut. This means no wipers but a 700whp 2800 pound car was never destined for the rain anyways.

The cowl area is now going to house my wiring bulkhead connectors, fuel line bulkhead connectors, and maybe my coil packs since I'm not a fan of them on the valve covers.

The firewall area was slightly trickier to install. The tubes make it difficult to get a typical fire wall shape so it took a few separate cardboard templates to get it kosher. I got the center and drivers side completed and then ran out of wire. I'll finish the passenger side and then start on the tunnel next weekend.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Not as much progress as I would have liked this week but I ran into a few snags. I rode in a solid motor/trans mount car this week, and 4th at made me decide that solid mounts are not as street worthy as I was lead to believe. So before I put a tunnel in, I converted my trans mount over to a poly bushing.

After that I whipped up the passenger portion of the fire wall and finish welded the whole thing in.

I get two days for Thanksgiving so I'm going to pound out the tunnel then.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had no idea you were planning to drive this on the street. Somewhere along the line I thought you were building a full on race car. Great work! Following it here and on IG.

Jay
Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JayinMI
I had no idea you were planning to drive this on the street. Somewhere along the line I thought you were building a full on race car. Great work! Following it here and on IG.

Jay
Thanks homie! It's going to be 90% street and 10% track. I have a motocross bike for competitive racing, the car is just pure pleasure.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

It took a couple separate pieces but I was able to make a tunnel that I think flows pretty well with the rest of the tubular structure.

Welded it all up. I stiched the actual tunnel section to the tubes because it will seam sealed but I fully welded the upper portions.

And my signature 99c rust proofing

And a bonus pic of the welds from my new transmission mount.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

In between ordering the rest of my fuel system I figured it would be a good time to fit the dash. I cut down the outside portions down to where the vents are housed, peeled off the nasty vinyl they wrap them in, and revealed a myriad of foam.

Thankfully the foam is nearing 20 years of age and came off with a paint scraper. I left the scraps to my whiz wheel and die grinder.

As you guys may know I'm running a dash tablet with the Megasquirt app instead of a bunch of gauges so the center console area and the airbag opening will both be glassed shut. I'll also be fiberglassing an enclosure for the tablet that will sit in the stock cluster area.

Side note: I scooped a 4" throttle body for cheap cheap this week. I'm going to weld a vanjen/alpha lock clamp to it and it will be ready to rock.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

After having "big turbo" as part of the title of my members journal I can finally say it's the truth. There was a Christmas special on billet wheel S480s so I couldn't resist.

It's the billet 88mm wheels, t6 flange, 1.32 ar with a ported, anti-surge race cover. Is it on the larger side for a stock shortblock 5.3? Maybe, but most people eclipse 4 digits with 20-25 pounds so I have plenty of room to grow. As well as the turbo, I bought two 44mm wastegates and two 50mm BOVs but there still in the mail.

A turbo this size is wayyyyyy to big for an impreza engine bay that already has too big of an engine in it. I despise turbos coming through the hood, I feel like it's an after thought. This left only the driver's side fog light/wheel tub area because the passenger side is where the water pump outlets are. In order to have room for it about 6 inches of frame rail had to go.

After juggling tire clearance, alternator clearance, and room for an intercooler and radiator, I devised a bracket that mounts to the underside of the turbine.

It took longer than I would have liked to get it sitting right, balancing a 50 pound turbo and marking the bracket placement at the same time is quite the challenge.

Next up is the hot/cold side plumbing, and a radiator.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gosh damn, that's a big *** hair dryer!! Steady killing it though, love to see you are making steady progress on this bad boy.!!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

The bonus pic of the trans. mount weld looks cold to me. Your welds on the aluminum look good. What welder are you using? Where have you been sourcing you steel and aluminum?

Quick Reply: Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project