Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning a LSx swap on a 1971 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beginning a LSx swap on a 1971 SWB

I recently picked-up a 1971 Chevy SWB truck. It currently has a SBC and a TH400 trans, and a 3.73 geared truck 12 bolt rear end.

Aside from swapping a LSx engine and o/d trans, I'm just planning to put the truck back together, go through the brakes, new shocks and tires, go through the rear and add a power trax, rebuild the front end, and re-wire the truck.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

So far I got a set of exhaust manifolds from a trail blazer SS, that will fit the chassis, from a guy at the 67-72 Chevy trucks forum. I just ordered a rear tank with a sump and FI pump from the Fuel Cell Guy.

While I'm waiting on the tank, I'm going to start putting the truck together, and try to find the engine and trans for my swap. I'm not set on any particular engine/trans combo, but I'm looking for a complete set-up, that will go in with minimal hassles.

I haven't had any luck with the local wrecking yards I've called, but there have been a few 5.3 engine/trans combos on Craigslist. I have been contacted by a few out of state junkyards with 6.0 engine/trans combos, but am nervous about dealing with an out of state business. Does anyone have any experience with having an engine shipped?

I'll post pics and updates as I progress. Your tips and expereinces would be appreciated as well.

Wes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Teching In

I heard that Certified Auto in Alabama is a reputable dealer and they were on the Horsepower show last month. I have a 72 that I am going to swap to a 6.0; I am gathering parts now.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

w4625, thanks for the tip. I will look them up and give them a call. I got a few more responses from the internet junkyard query I sent. I deally, I would like to find one locally, but I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of the out of state salvage yards.

Wes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
So far I got a set of exhaust manifolds from a trail blazer SS, that will fit the chassis, from a guy at the 67-72 Chevy trucks forum.

Wes

Hi Wes, I like to hang out here too! Let me know when those manifolds arrive.

Short-t
Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSX-affair

Short-t
Will Do!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Nice truck good luck with swap!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

I just sold my 72 Short Stepside last month... I alredy miss it....

Early Classic has engine mounts for LSx swaps...

Try and find 8.1L BB with the allison trans.. that would be fun...

Upgrade your front lower control arm U bolts to the 1/2" ones on the mid 80's trucks...

I had 1996 Impala SS wheels (5x5 bolt pattern) on my truck with 275/55/17 tires... it was lowered and handled great.

Nice looking tuck to start with....
Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Since you are rewiring the truck, I would recommend getting the complete harness from a truck with fuse box and all. then you can run everything out of it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
Early Classic has engine mounts for LSx swaps...
Upgrade your front lower control arm U bolts to the 1/2" ones on the mid 80's trucks...
MCMLXIX, thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to order the conversion mounts from Early Classic. Which reminds me, I should do it this weekend, so I can have the mounts by next weekend. What all did you have to do to run the larger u bolts? What was the benefit from the change?

Wes
Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1987earthquake
Since you are rewiring the truck, I would recommend getting the complete harness from a truck with fuse box and all. then you can run everything out of it.
1987 Earthquake, thank you for the recommendation. Are you referring to using the main harnesses from the donor truck/vehicle? I hadn't really considered that. I'll definitely get as much of the harnesses as I can. I don't see a reason not to. I could see some benefit to using the later fuse panel for sure.

I already have a repro dash harness from my last truck. At this point, I am planning to treat the engine/trans as standalone units with their ECUs and harnesses... and wasn't sure if I was going to mod them myself and send the ECU out, or just send both the harness and ECU...

Wes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
MCMLXIX, thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to order the conversion mounts from Early Classic. Which reminds me, I should do it this weekend, so I can have the mounts by next weekend. What all did you have to do to run the larger u bolts? What was the benefit from the change?

Wes
To upgrade took nothing more then drilling out the holes to 1/2". They are just grade 8 (or higher) bolts that are larger then the originals. They are over 30 yrs old and are under a lot of stress for all those years. They are commonly overlooked during a resto as they dont come with the any of the suspension parts... I tried to find the GM part number but I gave all the paperwork with the truck when I sold it....
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

MCMLXIX, I'll check the repro places for the U bolts. I'm pretty sure I've seen stock replacement U bolts for the 71, so I suspect, they probably sell the larger bolts for the later trucks.

Wes
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Short-t, I got the manifolds tonight. Thanks for shipping them so quick. BTW, do you know what size thread the exhaust manifold studs are (M 12?) ?

Wes

Originally Posted by LSX-affair

Short-t
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

No I don't, sorry.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Wes.... Another refugee from the Corvette Forum eh? If I can be of any assistance let me know. I did a 5.3/4L60E swap on my 65 stepside a couple of years ago....
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

kwkenuff, yeah, I'm also at CF, but don't post there too much anymore. I tried to talk the wife into a rack and pinion and a LSx swap on our 62 years ago, but she couldn't get past the cash outlay... IMHO, we really screwed the pooch rebuilding the stock front end and engine.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be picking your brain about how you did the swap. I got a line on a 6.0 LQ9 and a 4l80e I am supposed to pick up Saturday. Then the fun will begin.

I'm pretty good with carbs and distributors, but don't have any late model (late model being newer than my DD, a 1972 C10) experience at all. Heck, I still have the same VCR and 19" TV I had in college, and the VCR still isn't programmed!!!

BTW, the anti tour is coming to LVMS the weekend of 4/110-12. I'm planning to drive the 62 out.

Wes

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
Hi Wes.... Another refugee from the Corvette Forum eh? If I can be of any assistance let me know. I did a 5.3/4L60E swap on my 65 stepside a couple of years ago....
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be doing a 5.3 or 6.0 swap in my 71LWB soon, cant wait!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Shon, sounds good. I love the 67-72 trucks, especially the 71 and 72s. I was planning to do a swap on my 72 LWB, when I came across the 71 SWB, and decided to change directions. Be sure to post our build as you go.

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
I will be doing a 5.3 or 6.0 swap in my 71LWB soon, cant wait!

Quick Reply: Beginning a LSx swap on a 1971 SWB